MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Default Help!!! Need Drivetrain Help!!!

God, this month has absolutely stunk....

First, Christmas and holidays were expensive.... so many nights have been Ramen Noodles lately

Found out I'm going to be out of town on work 3 of the next 6 months....

and NOW the Yellowjacket's drivetrain decides to go bye bye....

I'm cluless on trannies and rears, so if anyone can help it would be great....

The positraction\rear has been giving me warning signs for a few weeks now... (groaning when pulling from stoplights and around low speed turns)
Now tonight the tranny sounds REALLY rough\loud and I no longer need the clutch to go into any gear...

Could the rear problem create what I'm getting up front in the tranny, or am I just out over 2 grand for a rebuilt tranny AND rear end?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:55 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Well, the tranny shouldn't go into all the gears freely without the use of the clutch. That sounds like your clutch is slipping really bad. That has nothing to do with your tranny being loud, however. Unfortunately, that sounds much more like a bad input shaft bearing. I would certainly believe the T45 is goin on it. They haven't been any more reliable than the T5 from the posts I've seen.

As far as the rear end groaning, what do you mean by groaning? Have you checked the fluid level in the pumpkin? Does it leak any lube out the axle seals? There really isn't anything back there to "groan" other than a dry clutch pack if you're out of fluid. I would change the fluid back there. If there is a whining comeing from it, that would be the pinion bearing.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Unhappy

Dude, that totally sucks. Knowing how busy you are I think you are in trouble. You'll have to take YJ in to a shop and see what they tell you. If you had more time (even this weekend) I'd say lets pull the tranny and clutch out and inspect. We can't mess with the tranny (atleast I wouldn't), but the clutch we could fix, also we could check the rear end.

Call me later and if you need help let me know.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:53 AM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Moved to Windsor 5.0

Just teasing, I'm really sorry about your mechanical woes! I remember neutral dropping my 98 V6 into obivilion, and that gut wrenching noise coming form the wimpy 7.5 and the grinding from the pathetic AOD

Good luck, and I hope the situation isn't as bad as you think
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 11:02 AM   #5
C Pony Go
Registered Member

It prolly feels like theres a slip in rear and it groans from start or when you make a right turn from a stop? That would be you clutch disks in the rear..rebuild kit is about 60 bucks from ford..not that hard to do..put a extrac disk in for firmness...as for the tranny groaning-first do the free things like check the fluid level...synchros could be an issue here if slips in and out of gears with out clutch pressure...cheap side-quality used from a boneyard-next-have it rebuilt--or if you are a little tuff(as most of us are) then a new one and get a good one like a tremec..when you are talking new a couple hundred difference for better performance is worth it...

FWIW-I just found out before parking the car for the winter that my rear is slipping and I have a ton of new mods going on so the first thing I do is rebuild the rear this spring and save up for an auburn...lol oh welll good luck

Moderator-Mustang Central

My car-C Pony Go
my board-Visit Here
C Pony Go is offline   Reply With Quote