MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Unhappy Housesitter's Worst Nightmare

I am house sitting for some people I've known for like 10 years. Their son is one of my oldest friends. They have a cat, which I sat for them a few times.

The cat (Conan) I've known since my friend (Unit 5113) got him as a kitten, 8 years ago. He was a cool cat. Fun to play with, smart, and he was affectionate. He shed a lot, which was about the only thing that bothered anybody.

I took him to the vet this morning, cause he wasn't right. Didn't want to eat, and he was lethargic. He had gotten a bladder obstruction for the 2nd time in 3 years. It was going to require surgery, again. I called the owners, and I was given the direction to put him down.

I don't cry when people pass away. Not for my uncle, or my grandmother. It's a part of life, but giving the direction to kill the closest thing I'd had to a pet since kindergarten tore me up. I was supposed to take care of him, and even though he didn't show any signs until this morning, and it wasn't something that I contributed to, I felt as though I had failed him, and he paid the ultimate price for it.

I took the rest of the day off. I still have to clean up his food, water, and empty the litter. It's quiet without my little friend here.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

That sucks man. I house sit for a family friend sometimes too. They have this ancient little dog. hes real cute and all but he is on heart medicine. I just know He's gonna kick when I am there and they're not. It would tear me up to. the dog actually belongs to my close friend (thier daughter) and she moved away and couldnt take him. It would be so hard to call and tell her Woobie had died. I know how you feel. We have always had some type of animal around the house. Even had a three and a half foot Iguana once. Momma didnt really care for that one. Hum wonder why? Oh nevermind. We had a Gecko that would shoot poisionus blood from its eyes and it barked to. It was real cool.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Goodbye is hard

Kell:

I sympathize with your feelings of loss.

I'm not a cat lover but I can certainly understand the sadness of losing a pet as I grew up with Championship Boxer dogs that my dad bred as a hobby. Losing one was devastating and from that time on I've always been able to understand the sadness that the death of a dog or cat can bring to anyone.

Of course Conan is now freed from pain but still, the loss will be with you for awhile. That's normal and natural as grieving is our way of dealing with it.
You'll feel better eventually but for now, it hurts. That's O.K. It gets better - but not today. Today, it's too close and as you said, too quiet.

This will pass. It'll be O.K.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
Rebel79
News Editor

Oh man Kell, that sucks! I would be very distraught if an animal I was looking after died, especially if I had to put it to sleep. Whats even worse is thatyour buddy and his parents did not get a chance to say good bye. Cheer up.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm not really grieving for his loss. He was a cool cat for sure, but I'm in pain cause I feel as though he trusted me, and I let him down.

Death is a part of life. Everybody dies, even I will someday.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:09 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Man, Kell, I would have totally lost it. I'm really sorry you have to experience what you are going through right now! Unlike Jim, I am a total and complete cat person. I own 7 of them (my kids). The oldest two will be 14 this year, and I know they aren't long for this world. I know I will totally lose it when they die. These felines really are the closest thing I have to children of my own, and I don't do the death thing very well. I just can't even imagine that phone call you had when they gave you your instructions. You are a far stronger man than I probably gave you credit for, Kell, and I hope this settles okay within you. We both know it wasn't your fault at all.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

I'd be a wreck!! and soon unfortunately i will be as i am slowly watching one of my ferrets die that i have raised since was 2 months old.

he has a tumor that would cost $1000-$2000 to remove and we don't have it so all we can do is just take care of him and when we see he is in pain and not eating to have him put to sleep!

i call home 2-3 times a day checking on him and someday i know i'm gonna hear these words " it's time" hopefully i can be there
and give him his fav snack one last time he luv fruit loops and we give his 3-4 when he gets up and when we put him to bed at night.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

I loose it everytime we loose a pet. we have put down a few pets. I am mostly a dog person but i love our cat to. HER name is EDDIE.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:33 PM   #9
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Oh man I am sorry. My cousin and my uncle both had to put their dogs to sleep and my little puppy is getting really old and her time is comming soon. I've had her since I was a little girl, age 7, and I am 19 now. It will be hard but when her time comes I will have to think or her and not be selfish even though I know it will hurt emotionally. As long as you have your memories your little frind will always be alive
Old 01-30-2002, 01:04 PM   #10
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hey Unit, hows it going.

I've been meaning to keep in better touch man. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I know how loosing an animal friend can be.

I also know, and understand how you feel about letting him down. You did everything you could in your power. It was not your fault that he had chronic bladder problems. I'm sure if you could do anything that was within your power, you would go through great lenghts to do it. Thats because thats the kind of person you are.

8 years old is kinda young for a cat, but long enough that he lived a happy, full life.

I'm the same way with emotions most of the time. For some reason, I cry more at the loss of animals, than I do people. Dont know why. The last time I remember crying at someones death was My old Art Teacher, whom became a freind of the family. He died of Luekimiah 5 years ago. And before that I lost a good freind from High School from the same thing.

If you need to talk man, your more than welcome to e-mail me.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:48 PM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

that sux unit, i had to give away my rott & odie's mini poodle, because of her chemo that's coming, i know that they are ok but it is still like they died, because they are gone forever, but my wife means more to me, but it is like i lost two children or something, at least the poor cat is not in pain anymore, i just don't know what to say except ,im sorry for your loss,take care .

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:16 AM   #12
SilverPoet
Registered Member

Even though you'll say you don't want it, and I know you don't need it, know that there is a hug waiting for you, ya know. I know exactly what it's like to own an animal with that same type of problem. My dog, Pepper (a shih tzu) has cysts in her bladder and we basically bide time until the day when she gets very ill and we have to put her down. She wouldn't survive surgery. So I know how it is. Sucks...Conan was a very cool cat. But you can't beat yourself up for it because there was nothing you could do. I think feeling like you let something down is more painful in lots of ways than mourning.
SilverPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 08:53 AM   #13
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Sorry to hear it.

Putting down a pet is a horrible experience.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #14
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Default Please don't think I'm a nut.....

I was watching the Pet Psychic on Animal Planet last night (that woman is amazing!) and she kept saying that animals only pass on from the physical world - their spirit and energy is still with us and even visit often. She talked to owners with deceased pets.....and Unit, all the pets who had to be put down knew it wasn't their owners fault, and thanked them for helping them stop hurting.

Don't feel like you let him down......cuz he doesn't feel you did.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:04 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm not a big believer in the whole psychic thing, but thanks for all the comments. If not for me, at least Conan deserves the recognition. I've been working late, getting home at 8 and 9 o'clock, so I haven't had time to really say much.

Thanks

Kell