MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default How did you get into 'stangs?

OK, The thought just occured to me, and I decided to post the questionand see what the answers were. My question is what brought you into the "Mustang family"? Was there one special moment? A delibarate decision based on performance? A family legacy? What?
Obviously, I'll go first
I wasn't big into cars growing up, and the first car I ever really fell in love with (because of a movie) was a Black '69 Camaro SS (Please hold the catcallsand 20 points to the person who guesses the movie <g> ), I had never realized that a car could be anything but pure transportation. Not in my worldview.
Anyway, years later, I was hunting for a first car, and ended up buying a '77 Mustang II hatch with the v-6. I knew nothing about 'Stangs except they were supposed to be sports cars along the Camaro lines. ( All I can say is that I was still ignorant ) Over time I started to learn the backstory, and get more involved in the mystique and history of the car.
Long story short, I think back to the times I had w/ that 77, and I guess that was what made me want another. And another. And another. We're at numbers 4 and 5 right now. To me its a way to hold on to the freedom of youth, and be part of an oncoing "story" if you will. Besides, I get to find cool places like this board, LOL.
Not to mention, you never know when you'll need a fast car for a getaway, LOL.
\Nostalgia
So, How bout you folks?

Jorge
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

I was always into Chevy's when I was younger, Mopars were OK too but I hated Fords. My dad's owned a 66 Impala, 76 Trans Am, 70 Malibu, and his brothers had a Barracuda and a 440 GTX so I never really cosidered Fords, I always wanted a 70 Chevelle SS. When I was 18 I tried to get a loan for an 87 Grand National but couldn't get that big of a loan for a car that wasn't new. That same week my friend saw a silver 86 Mustang GT for $2500 right down the road from my parents house, but no one had the $$$ to lend him so we came up with the idea that I might be able to take out a $3000 loan to buy the car and pay off taxes I owed while helping out my credit at the same time. Then he would try and save money and buy it back from me in a few months. I ended up getting a secured loan (thanks to my grandma) and drove the car for a couple months (got my first race a few days after got it with a tighted out Acura and smoked it) until I drove it through a deep puddle and locked up the motor. My friend had no way of buying the car at the time so I ended up buying a 429 to swap into it (which is still at a machine shop 4 years later). A few months later we cosidered it my car and I replaced the 5.0 shortblock knowing the big block may take a while and cruised it for a couple of years until the trans went out. Then I swapped a 350 into my 1985 Chevy Astrovan (parents bought it in 86 and gave it to me when I turned 16) which went through 2 engine rebuilds last year and a new transmission. It got broken into last winter and my bike/cd player/tools/etc got stolen along with some damage to the van so I figured it wasn't worth the money I had put into it which was around $5000. I totaled it out and sold the engine/trans/etc and bought a 1990 Mustang 5.0 coupe in january. Since I started driving the 86 GT I realized mustangs are pretty quick for the money and probably have more available for them than any other car, plus they look good. As far as how I got on this site, I think I may have found it when I was looking into the Big Block engine swap for my 86. Anyway, thats my story.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Capri306

I'll never forget what got me into Mustangs. It was my father looking for a new vehicle back in 1992 in the used Ford lot down in Toledo. He had been driving his 1978 F-250 since he'd bought it from the factory in '77, so it was definitely time for new wheels. The first car we tried was a green T-bird, which was okay but the ride had much to be desired, and egress was something of an art in that car.

The second car was the beginning of my addiction: a 1989 Mustang GT, medium metallic blue and gray paint, perfect interior (well, it was only 2-3 years old at that point, but I still remember!). Such a beautiful car.... Anyhoo, all four of my family members hopped in and took it for a test drive. My dad was having some fun with it, and I mean I could see the grin on his face. We were coming upon the overpass going over I-75, and he just GUNNED it. We were doing ~95mph in no time flat. Keep in mind my parents had that '78 F-250 and an '83 Caprice, the only cars I *ever* rode in. Nevertheless, I was hooked for life. The only reason we didn't get it was that the insurance was too high for us to afford at that point. My dad had been out of work for about two months, and had just recently gotten back on his feet. I look back (and I'm sure he does too) and wonder how much closer my dad and I would've been if he'd gotten that instead of the '89 mercury sable he settled for.... He was pretty jealous when I first brought my '87 notchback home, and still bugs me to drive it....hey, mebbe I can have him pay for the trans rebuild and engine machine work???? Hmm.....

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
carlos.elliott
Registered Member

Default how got into stangs

I was a chevy guy and bought a new 02 f150. It was nice to not be broken down every day. I had liked mustangs in the past. I bought a 99 gt three days before I was activated to go to Iraq. I thought about that car almost more than my family (don't tell them). My wife then told me she liked mustangs too. I saw a chance to get a new one. Then one week before I was back from Iraq we bought a 04 sonic blue gt. I came home and fell in love with it. Now am trying to learn all about mustangs and mabye find a club to join.
carlos.elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Camaro to Mustang: a disciple's conversion story

Like many here, I was a longtime Chevy guy but back in the late 1980's I started reading and hearing about the 'new' Mustang 5.0. They were supposed to be a low-to-mid 14 second car right off the lot with no mods, if you drove it right i.e. got traction. At the time I was driving a self-restored 1971 Camaro with a mildly modified 350 and a Muncie M-21 trans with a 3.73 rear that ran 14's all day but that I had owned a long time and was getting tired of. Remember, in 1987 a 14-second street car that doubled as a daily driver was considered very quick, like a 13-second street car would be, today. What did it for me was an article in a 1987 'Cars Illustrated' (now MM&FF) when Tony DeFeo, a staff writer and shade-tree mechanic bought a brand new 1987 Mustang LX hatchback, 5.0/5-speed, 3.08 rear with no options (even a 'radio delete') and after a bunch of runs at Englishtown (on a closed track) in mid-winter managed a 13.7 (and better) on the crappy Gatorbacks that came on the 'Stang. Whoa! Mid-to-high 13's in an almost totally stock (advanced timing, no air filter) 5.0 Mustang with about 600 miles on it? For - at the time - a cheap $10,000.? Sign me up! Well, it actually took a few years for me to abandon the Chevy and in that period I saw my friend's rebuilt 1975 Camaro 350 that ran mid-14's (like mine) take every inch of a quarter-mile to just...just...nose out a new 1988 Mustang 5.0 that had him to the very end of the track. In the meantime, I upgraded my Camaro a bit (better exhaust, intake) but my heart wasn't in it and in late '89, I decided to buy a new 5.0.

I waited until late winter because I live in the northeast and didn't want to break in my new Mustang on ice and snow covered roads, as I had no 'winter beater' to fall back on, then. I just used my wife's car when it snowed or got nasty. Long story short: My Strawberry Red Metallic 1990 Mustang LX hatchback was delivered in late March, 1990. It had the 5.0 engine, of course, the Borg-Warner 5-speed and the 'optional' 3.08 rear axle ratio. I ordered it with A/C and all the goodies except the high-end stereo as I wasn't into tunes that didn't come from my engine and tailpipes. This was a luxury car to me as the Camaro had no A/C or power anything except steering and brakes. It had the factory AM radio (a joke) and a rear window defroster fan - and that was it. It also had a four-barrel carb and no fifth gear.

I sold the old Camaro (for too low a price) to make the DP on the 'Stang, which cost me $13,600. plus tax. Since then I've had many a race with the Mustang and have enjoyed every minute of owning it. It's had too few problems to mention over 14 years and is a very well-made car, in my opinion. I've had many a race and won some, lost some, as we all do. With 124,000 miles on it I don't race much anymore out of regard for the car's age and mileage and the fact that I hope to eventually sell it for a good price and don't want to blow it up at this late date after so many good years with it. It's been owned exclusively by me (a actual grown-up) and has never been hit or really abused. It was a tough move to leave the bow-tie behind as I had numerous Chevys over the years but I wouldn't look back, now. I'm a Mustang guy and always will be, I guess.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

I like all brands of muscle cars from the late sixties and early seventies. My favorite car though is either a 69 or 70 mach 1. I ran across my 92 when it was 4 years old and settled for it since i couldnt find what I was looking for.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Long time love affair
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19 PM   #8
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I have always loved mustangs. But I think what did it for me was my friend had an old 88 gt (piece of junk), 5 spd, t-tops, maroon. The thing was in terrible shape. The interior was torn to hell, and it stunk like mildew from the leaky weather stripping. But, that thing hauled tail!! As far as I know it was stock. I had a ranger at the time, and for whatever reason, he used to take my ranger and let me drive the stang. I put away so many cars with that thing it was un real. From then on, I had to have one. I now have two, and would buy another if money (and the boss) would let me.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
jndnaps
Registered Member

Default I do like the Mustangs

OK, I'm in trouble now I'm more a Chevy and Mopar guy. Not really into Ford at all. But my wife was always a Mustang lover, So stupid me let love get in the way and I sold my 70-440 Cuda to get her the 67 Mustang in the pic below. That was over 15 years ago. Now I never really hated the Mustang, Just not a Ford guy. I do like the Stangs and really like the 05's.. I still wish I had my Cuda though.. Boy do I wish I had the money back then for both.

I really do like the Mustang, Just wish it said Chevy on it.

Our 67 Mustang, 289, C-4 Automatic
Factory A/C, Lime Gold, Ivy Gold Int,
All Stock, 2nd Owners. We've owned it for the past 15 Years.
jndnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up Re: How did you get into 'stangs?

Quote:
Originally posted by KiltedBanshees93GT
...Anyway, years later, I was hunting for a first car, and ended up buying a '77 Mustang II hatch with the v-6. I knew nothing about 'Stangs except they were supposed to be sports cars along the Camaro lines. ( All I can say is that I was still ignorant ) Over time I started to learn the backstory, and get more involved in the mystique and history of the car.
Long story short, I think back to the times I had w/ that 77, and I guess that was what made me want another. And another. And another. We're at numbers 4 and 5 right now. To me its a way to hold on to the freedom of youth, and be part of an oncoing "story" if you will. Besides, I get to find cool places like this board, LOL....
Man, that is really similar to my story.

I have always (from as early as I can remember) seen cars as something different, but never really had preferences. My dad had his own business and used to fix VWs and many other cars all the time. Also, he worked for "Superior Motors" and other places as a mechanic. I can always remember him working on or fixing somebody's car at one time or another and from time to time, I'd help him out as a little fellow (when I wasn't jumping around or getting into trouble).

Fast forward a little over a decade. I remember in, like, '91-92 when I saw a new Mustang GT and something in my heart was born. I thought, "man that is the awesomest car I've ever seen and its sound is like music." I thought the back lights were sooooooo cool too (even though I kinda don't think that now...). Kinda dreamed about owning one.

Well, fast forwarding to around '95, when it was time that I just needed my first car for transportation purposes, a close friend of the family had a '79 powder blue Mustang notchback that she was trying to get rid of b/c it didn't have a/c and she was about to buy a new car. BTW, the '79 was in GREAT shape. She asked me did I want it, I said, "How much". "$250," she said. And that was the beginning of it all. Like KiltedBanshee mentioned, I soon started really getting into and finding out all about the Mustang and a year or 2 later got BIT BY THE MOD BUG-- really hard. And now in 2004, I'm on my 5th stang as well (3 of which are in my front yard as I type).

So I needed a crowd to share ideas and conversation with cause one of my closest friends was a camaro guy. Looked around on the web and found Mustang Works-- awesome. Spent just about 90% of my first year in the Windsor Power forum and 10% at the Stang Analyzer dreaming of what my car could run and thought all of the people in the BOL were weird geeks (guess I turned in to one of them). I was like, "man, why are they in there talking about a bunch of nonsense, this is Mustang board." Obviously my attitude has changed.

It's weird to hear about all these Chevy converts, cause our whole family used to lean hard towards the Chevy side and against Ford. I remember saying the first few months that I had my '79 that I really don't like Ford, but I love the Mustang, just like jndnaps (don't fight it man, we welcome you with open arms ), but soon my attitude changed and it started affecting my dad. Now he's always talking about Ford trucks (which are superior) and now I could care less about anything Chevy (in terms of buying them, and I can't stand their trucks). I'm a Ford guy now, even though Ford is starting to PISS me off with all the crap I hear about them....

That's my story.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #11
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Very cool, I have to say I didnt realize so many others were "converts" from the chevy side of the force,lol.
jndnaps:I Can imagine about the Cuda, there another of my fav cars. Particularly I have a soft spot for Olds (My second car was a 77 Cutlass Supreme 4 door w/ the 350r *son of rocket* motor, and that thing would not die,lol)
That , and I have to say, I would probibly kill for a GN . But the 'Stang will always be the car I "come home" to
Fox Body: Funny coincidences continue; My second stang was a '79 w/ the 302 (such as it was) 2v,auto, but a true dual exaust and cowl hood. I had a lot of plans for that car (cut short by an concrete interstate divider and some nasty bodyrot).
I still perfer the early fox's front ends, I think they look meaner, esp. with the faux *or converted to working* hood scoop.

Jorge

BTW, WOO HOO, I just got my 93 running again! Its only taken about 2 1/2 years

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
Old 05-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
200k5oh
Registered Member

it seems the pattern, going chevy to 5.0, well heres another story.

i was raised around chevy's. dad hated fords (tho he owned a 351cleveland pinto and a 429 mavrick growing up) i was never to own a ford. i grew up around cars like a 71vega with a 355, 70 nova with a 468 etc etc, and basically grew up at the drag strip so a fast car was a must for me.
when i turned 16 i started shopping around. i had VERY little money to spend so i was going to settle with a cheap beater, but still wanted a quik car. i came across an 88 5.0, AOD car. it had 240k on it (truthfully) and it ran like a top. no smoke or anything. i was the second owner, all oil changes documented from 88 and up so it was a good car. did a few mods to it then had to sell it. i had been driving a corolla for a few years trying to save to buy a IROC camaro, but was once again pulled into getting a 5.0. this time an 86 gt 5spd and is my current car.
im only 18, have owned 2 mustangs and plan on owning MANY more.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #13
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

At first I wanted an Iroc, or a GTA if I was lucky(Firebirds/Trans-Ams were much nicer IMO) But the day a friend of mine got an '89 GT and did the most impressive donut, burnout, street race I'd ever seen, I knew I wanted one. The impressive, unique(at the time) sound made me fall in love with the Mustang, the rest is history.
I still like the old GTA's, real nice styling, but I'm glad I was lucky enough to wind up with the Stang. I'll never sell it.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #14
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Oh, yeah, I'd love to own a GN. That is my second favorite after Mustang, and then after the GN, give me a '69 Camaro Z28. But that'd be after I fully fix up the 2 stangs.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

the movie is better off dead I think at least.

Anyways I was always into cars but probably what got me into mustangs was my dad buying a 66 GT coupe when i was in like 4th grade. He kept it all the way until I was in 7th grade but sold it. It was an east coast car that had a bit of rust and some other problems, i wanted it so bad though

anyways he replaced it with a 69 Mach 1 428 that he still has today so i grew up in my teens going to car shows with it. I originally hated the fox body cars but when i couldnt find a 67/68 fastback to drive everyday and fit my 17yo budget the fox body cars started to grow on me. After a summer of waiting tables I bought my 89 that I still own today And although i got in an accident in august within 3-4 weeks it will be all done with a nice new dark blue paintjob on it
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:07 AM   #16
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Something about the 5.0 mustang and ford probe always drew my eye as a young teenager. My first car was a bmw, and it was so slow I broke the automatic trans doing 6500rpm neutral drops into drive. I then go tmy saleen at 17, and never turned back.

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #17
jndnaps
Registered Member

Default Olds

KiltedBanshees93GT, I have a 2 Dr 77 Cutlass Salon now with a 350 Rocket. I'm probably gonna sell that one soon though.

Our 67 Mustang, 289, C-4 Automatic
Factory A/C, Lime Gold, Ivy Gold Int,
All Stock, 2nd Owners. We've owned it for the past 15 Years.
jndnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
1989GT
Registered Member

Well I was pretty much raised on ford, my Dad used to own a 71 Mach 1. My first car or truck rather was a '86 ford ranger, slow as shit, well when 2 of the 4 cylinders lost compression I started looking into 5 liter swaps, but Dad talked me out of it and we started looking at mustangs.(Thanks Dad!) Picked the GT up and here I am 5 years later!
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #19
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I don't really know. I have just always been a Mustang guy. There was never a second thought. I have always been and will always be a Mustang man.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:42 AM   #20
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Ding Ding Ding!

MidNiteBlu's the winner! Yes, Better off Dead was the movie. That scene when they first roll the '69 out of the garage, with "I'm a man" playing in the background ANNNND, then they go spank some rice. It was too perfect,lol.

jndnaps: Sounds cool, mine was just the 4 door, but I loved that car. I swear, it was part Christine. Things would break, and the next time I would look, it'd be working again What colors yours? (Mine was the ubiqutious 70's "Blue / white top. I ended up adding a set of mags off a 78-9 Firebird 6.6. It looked pretty cool (except for the paint and rust holes).
Sky: How did you luck into a Saleen at 17? I would have ended up killing myself in it,lol
And bigwhitecobra: You have my fav mustang of all time as your avatar. Even in my color

J