MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-24-2002, 10:40 AM   #21
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Re: ugg

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas

Which leads to the next question.......
MY FRIGIN' INS. WENT UP TO $140/MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (almost $900/6mos)
And I'm not even insured under Classic/Show car Ins. Just full coverage......ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. If I ever wreck my car, I'm screwed.
Hmmm...I'm willing to bet you have Allstate insurance.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 11:24 AM   #22
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Thumbs down :(

Nationwide Insurance.....

grrr.
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:15 PM   #23
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
wow.

****. I didn't think I'd feel this affected by you selling it, Chris, but I am actually bordering on depressed just thinking about it. You and I did A LOT of arguing over her. We had some good discussions, too. That little baby was one of the very first rides I tred to become familiar with back in the "old days".

I'm sorry about the nursery comment. That was a little low. I was just trying to help, but I should have thought that one out longer.
Yeah, I was gonna throw a rude comment back at ya, but I knew you didnt mean it that way. I guess since you dont own a mustang, or any car that I know of that you have invested so much into recently, it is harder to understand and appreciate the loss at hand. I guess it would be like losing one of your cats...not as bad I suppose, but I think you understand me. I guess part of my problem is that I always told myself, over and over, that I would never sell her...but, things change, and it happened. Anyway, Ill miss her, but Im not going to lose sleep over it...

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Chris, your life will always be richer because of the lessons learned, and the benefits reaped, with that car. Try and dwell on that instead. I know I'm going to have to.

You have a good point there, and I was thinking the same thing. Tearing that car apart and putting her back together again many times, and studying what made her tick is what gave me my knowledge of modern fuel injected engines. And knowledge is a powerful tool...and I will alway have the memories of our times together, the good and the bad..

later
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #24
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default Re: ugg

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas
Thats a tough question...
If I were to sell my car NOW there is NO WAY IN HELL I would get out of it what I have in it...

Keep that in mind the next time you want to throw money at her, unless you can afford to throw money around. Its definately a losing proposition.

Automobiles depricate enough on their own.....dumping money into them, as fun as it is for all of us, is not a wise financial move.

BTW, I had Nationwide insurance in the past, and they were terrible. Very high rates and will drop you in a Nanosecond...
RHC member #142
Old 11-24-2002, 08:38 PM   #25
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
I guess since you dont own a mustang, or any car that I know of that you have invested so much into recently, it is harder to understand and appreciate the loss at hand. I guess it would be like losing one of your cats...not as bad I suppose, but I think you understand me.
Oh yes, I understand. In fact, that's one of the reasons I'm "inbetween" project vehicles right now. I don't have the "extra" money it will take to build it to my specifications.

My 69 SS, 77 T/A, & 72 Pinto had a lot of me in them, but my Buick had the most. By the time she was retired, she was no longer a Buick, she was a Bower.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:36 PM   #26
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Mach 1:

Jumping in here a little late, but it sounds like you're moving on now which is good.

In regards to your comment about throwing money at a car that is already depreciated/ing - I can understand that to a point. However, my 91 LX is a good example of a S L O W project that I've had in mind for years now. It will eventually have a 331 cu in. motor (done that), Tremec tranny (done that), ProCharger D-1SC (future), 31 spline axles w/5lug Bear brakes, rebuilt rear, Bogart racing wheels, etc (all future). It just takes time. The nice thing is that I'm doing the project in stages that allow me to still 'enjoy' the car. Plus, like most any car from the early 90's it's been paid for for quite sometime now. Insurance isn't really an issue either as I'm 27, married, house, kid, multi-car discounts..etc. The real issue is just the garage space. I get one side and my wife gets the other which leaves my daily driver out in the cold (oh well!).

It's a moot point now, but why did you decide to sell it? I'm really curious after all the hard work and money that you had in it.

And, since I'm asking all kinds on questions today, are there plans to purchase another project vehicle?

Take it easy,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:32 PM   #27
TXinPA
Registered Member

Ugh, I'm gonna be in the same situation soon... I have to sell my 88 notch as soon as I find the title, which got lost somewhere between Texas and PA.

Hey Topless, you think $130 a month for insurance is bad? Try $430 a month!!! That's what it's costing me for the Cobra!!
TXinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:44 PM   #28
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

pull off every aftermarket part u can, sell em separate and sell the car near stock.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #29
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Mach 1:

It's a moot point now, but why did you decide to sell it? I'm really curious after all the hard work and money that you had in it.

And, since I'm asking all kinds on questions today, are there plans to purchase another project vehicle?

Take it easy,
E
When I bought the car and started modifying It, I was single, and it was a hobby. A few years later, and Im married and have a 1 year old daughter. I have a second vehicle, but my wife wouldnt drive the stang, so If I had to drive out of town(which I will be doing next year for school for several months, and weekend trips back home) I would have to take the mustang on the road trip and leave her the other car.

As much as I loved my mustang, with 4.10's and non lock up AOD, and 15 mpg, it wasnt the ideal highway cruiser. So i bought a third car, and was considereing keeping all of them, but with vehicle taxes in GA(sucks, you have to pay property tax on your vehicles every year) and insurance on three cars, wife that doesnt work, etc....one of the cars had to go, and it was the stang.

In addition to those things, I started to lose interest in the car for several reasons. After the car is built the way you want it, they become boring, because building them and working on them is the fun part. When your project is complete, and you left with an unpractical car, you start to reconsider.

I couldnt enjoy driving the car fast (there is a cop on every corner in the town I live in), I was tired of every punk with flowmasters revving their engine at me, and I was tired of filling it with gas every 5 days.
Then it had a water leak that was frustrating me, and was stalling occasionally, and I just didnt have the desire to play with it anymore. I also had very limited free time to play with it.

All in all, it just wasnt the best car for a person in my situation, so I figured it best to sell it .

And, no, there are no plans to purchase another project vehicle. I have had many cars over the years that I have modified and enjoyed playing with, and it ends up the same way every time. The more you modify them, the less reliable they become, and you lose a ton of money in this hobby, so Im going to try to not start on another car.

Interesting note on that subject: I had considered selling my stang a couple times over the last couple years, but always told myself that I am addicted to the car hobby, and If I sold it I would eventually start on another car when the bug hit again, and therefore I would never sell the stang, and save myself the expense of starting over. Yeah right..well I did, and well see what happens from here...
RHC member #142
Old 11-25-2002, 09:36 PM   #30
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman
pull off every aftermarket part u can, sell em separate and sell the car near stock.

Skyler
that is great advice to anyone in this situation, and I did that to some degree on my car, but I was very limited in what I could pull, as most of the stock parts were gone.

I did pull my aluminum driveshaft, underdrive pulleys, fluidampr dampner, tachometer, speakers, and some other odds and ends, but my basic combination was running well and I didnt want to nor could I go back to stock. I would have had to tear the rear end down , and my stock heads and intake were long gone, stock wheels were long gone, transmission was modified to far to make it worthwhile to go back to stock, etc....
RHC member #142
Old 11-25-2002, 11:36 PM   #31
StangFlyer
Founder

I've had a couple people offer to buy my Mustang over the years. Even receiving a note once on my window with a name, phone number, and offer wanting to buy it. I've turned down $25K flat before for it.

Some enthusiasts will pay decent money for a highly modified car done right. As, to someone knowledgable, they know the amount of money and time that went into doing it and that it is cheaper (and easier) to buy a car like some of ours that is already done rather than doing it themselves.

The comment left previously is very true... What it is worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. Getting a better price for the money and work you have into your modified vehicle is all about finding the right person to buy it.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #32
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Mach 1:

Sounds like it was a good decision for you and your family.

You know, it's interesting: I've tossed around the idea of selling my coupe for a new Cobra and then maybe just 'tweaking' it a little. Not much, just maybe an aftermarket shifter....but then maybe a set of gears would be nice, and exhaust really opens up the HP on these bad boys...of course I would probably have to get a set of drag radials for it too...maybe smaller pulley for the supercharger....ahhh it never ends. My wife is right, I can't leave well enough alone.

Even though you've sold the Mustang, I hope you continue to contribute to the site as I've enjoyed reading many of your knowledgable posts as I'm sure many other have as well.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:28 PM   #33
Mach 1
Registered Member

Thanks man. Yeah, I'll try to continue to contribute, as this is the best site out there with the best people
RHC member #142

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: