MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2001, 02:11 AM   #1
spinhunt
Registered Member

Post How is this mustang?

Hi I'm new to this scene of Mustangs. I as a teenager hated Fords completely. But I have found a new love for them, because they look nice and they are fun to mod. Being 22 I have smartened up and noticed that some Fords (Mustangs only) are good cars.

I was wondering and curious...Are all Mustangs rear wheel drive?

------------------
spinhunt
1989 Toyota Celica GTS w/TRD suspension
spinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 02:20 AM   #2
spinhunt
Registered Member

sorry about that...my pic didn't post

Here it is again. Is this a good buy and can I mod this to a GT or a SVT?

thanks.

btw the price of the Mustang is in Canadian currency.

Old 04-22-2001, 02:22 AM   #3
spinhunt
Registered Member

Angry

God ****** ! Here I will try my pic again!

Old 04-22-2001, 10:35 AM   #4
PGkelly
Registered Member

First thing i'd like to say is welcome to the board. im glad to see you are interested in mustangs too. to answer your questions, yes, all 'stangs are rear wheel drive. it is that way becuase that is the way it has always been, and the way it will always be, because it is better. now, you were wondering if the mustang pictured is a good buy? lemme point one thing out: that stang is a four banger. 2.3L. that means you've got a good 88hp at the crank. bummer, huh? you could convert it to an SVO mustang (they don't make and never did make SVT mustangs). SVO mustangs had a turbocharged four cylinder, don't know the numbers but they were a hell of a lot better than 88hp. you could convert that stang to a GT or LX, but that would involve swapping engine, transmission, driveshaft, differential, axle, suspension, wheels/tires, basically everything. if you want to do that, go ahead. if you want to turn it into a Saleen, you can do that too, but it won't be authentic and won't be worht much money in the future. bottom line: i wouldn't go for that one. i don't like the idea of 88hp

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:49 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I can't say whether or not that car is a good buy. You usually get what you pay for dude.

The SVT is Special Vehicles Team, they build the Cobra.

Converting to an SVO would also include swapping everything!

The SVO had a completely different internal setup with forged stuff a plenty, they made 200hp or so in 1985-1986 with the intercooled turbo engine.

My personal thought on that Mustang, is since it's a 4spd, it's got the A4LD automatic, which is a pile of **** (I've rebuilt them on more than one occation), all manuals were T-5 5spds. Because of that, I really wouldn't be too anxious to pick it up, unless I was planning to do a bunch of work and swap it over the the 5.0L drivetrain.

Unless you are mechanically inclined, and you have a couple thousand extra sitting around to do a proper 2.3L to 5.0L swap, don't get it. Save that extra two grand, put it together with the 1k this thing is gonna run and buy a real 5.0.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 02:57 PM   #6
PGkelly
Registered Member

Oh, right. SVT makes the Cobra. almost forgot that. except i usually call that a COBRA, not an SVT
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:46 PM   #7
spinhunt
Registered Member

Thanks for the introduction!

A friend of mine, who is Mustang inclined, converted a 4cyl 5spd into a 307, dragger with a 25th anniv. 'stang.

He knows what he is doing and so I would go to him for everything I need. If you didn't know the price for the car is only like not even $650 US dollars. I could after purchasing it begin my conversion into a 5.0L GT.

Thanks for the info and hope to post more in the future.

Spencer
Old 04-22-2001, 11:58 PM   #8
mustang17
Registered Member

If I were you I would just try to find a used 5.0. It's a lot less money and effort. Just my $.02

------------------
1995 GT Black- Edelbrock 6037's,Intake,Edelbrock cam,70mm TB,75mm pro-m,Taylor wires, pulleys,Equal length headers,K&N filter
Flowmaster,3.73's, Eibach pro rate springs
lower control arms Centerforce clutch
New motor in the works!
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:59 PM   #9
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

If the body and interior on that stang is nice and you plan on converting to a 5.0 anyway, go for it. Everything else will basically be replaced anyway, and 650 bucks is a good buy for a decent fox body. If you have the money and time for the conversion, then go for it.

Welcome to the board!
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 12:52 PM   #10
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Personally, I would look around for a GT or LX 5.0 before buying a car I knew I would want to drop a 5.0 in later.

If I were to buy that car I would make it go as fast as funds permitted with the 4 banger and use it as my daily driver and just take the 5.0 out on the weekends.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 03:10 PM   #11
spinhunt
Registered Member

Well if I would buy this car I would drop a 347 or bigger into the car and change the tranny and the axles and **** and tires and stuff like that.

my friend with the 307 25th anniv. is a wiz with his stang.

All the GTs and LXs 5.0s here are like over $3000 CDN which is too much for me right now...

------------------
spinhunt
1989 Toyota Celica GTS w/TRD suspension
Old 04-23-2001, 04:28 PM   #12
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I understand completely everyone's point about starting with a V8 car but starting from scatch can be a great way to learn. If your friend is going to help you with the build-up that should help keep costs down. It's really not much worse than starting with a 5.0 and redoing everything anyway. Just make sure the car is straight and clean and that you are willing to put tons of time into it. Another thing to consider would be down time with an engine swap if you have no other transportation. I say dig into it and get your hands dirty!

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 03:23 AM   #13
84stangLX

I didn't think they made 4 speed mustangs in '87. I may be wrong but i think they started using T5's exclusively from '87 up in both 5.0's and 2.3's. Not that it really matters since you'll end up replacing it whether it's a T5 or not (4 cyl. T5's are not strong enough to stand up to the torque of a V8 in abusive situations)
Old 04-24-2001, 12:15 PM   #14
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

its most likely talking about a 4-speed automatic, not manual

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 01:20 PM   #15
spinhunt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yeah I believe it's an automatic. I think I'm going to go for it. I need a vehicle in the winter anyways, because having my Celica only 3inches off the ground is horrible for Manitoba, Canada winters with like 2 feet of snow everywhere.

Hahaha, I realize driving a rear-wheel drive will be almost worse off but I will take my chances. Next summer I hope to have that Mustang modded for a 347 but I am also thinking about dropping a carborated engine instead of the normal fuel injected.

What are your thoughts on a carborated engine??