MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #21
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Default Re: How things can change:

hehehe... misaligned door... I have 2 of them. Don't jump on it, but don't let it sit there for over a week if you do want it. You definately need a newer model GT like that. These old fox bodies are for idiots like me who want to relive teenage years and spend oodles of $$$$!
Look for rust, puddles underneath, strange sounds, etc... post here and we'll help you out.

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #22
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

If you find anything near me I can check it out for you. Especially the Knoxville area. Your not that far from here.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Re: How things can change:

CupCake:

The misaligned door may just be due to 'sag' that comes from worn door hinge bushings, a common problem on older Mustangs due to the heavy doors and the just-adequate bushings Ford uses. It can be repaired with the installation of a new bushing set, a job that should cost around $100. as it can take an hour for a pro mechanic to accomplish. Try to either (a) have this done by the dealer before buying the car or, (b) ask to have the cost of the bushing repair taken off the asking price (which is already fair).

The remote starter can be great or a nightmare, depending on how professionally it was installed. I would keep it in if all works well but if not, have it yanked out by someone who does auto electronics for a living. This is not a major issue if done right.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM   #24
CupCake
Registered Member

The car was very nice, it sounded cool and it looked all sharp. Unfortunally, I was not able to get it. There were a lot of things that were not right with it. It didn't have any rust though. The car was lowered but it was not done the right way. The springs were cut and then put back into the car. The wheels had spacers, the exhaust had turn-downs after the mufflers and the noise in the car was too loud for my taste. I had a headache after driving for about an hour. The car had been repainted and it had orange peel. The window on the passenger side was not going down and when we were able to push it down the handle will move on the outside. We also found a piece of glass on the map pocket on that same side. My gut just told me that getting it will be a bad idea.

I spent a lot of time looking for another one during the weekend. Now I have one. My new car is a blue 2001 Convertible Mustang. I love it. It has some really big wheels and tires and it is pretty much brand new on the inside. I will take some pictures of it and show it you guys. Thank you for all of the support and advise. I still don't have the money from the insurance company, hopefully I will get it soon. I am not looking forward to get new tires. I looked on Ebay and found that the wheels that are there right now cost $1,400. That is a lot for me.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #25
bjack
Registered Member

Good call......you made the right decision to pass on the 97 based on what you reported above. I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from the 01 vert. Stay safe and post some pics as soon as you can!!
bjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #26
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Re: How things can change:

CupCake:

Congratulations on your 'new' Mustang ragtop!

Too bad about the first Mustang but it sounds like it was a POS waiting to snag an unwary buyer. No wonder the price was so 'reasonable'. You did well to pass on it.

Now, we await some photos of the '01 convert.

Best of luck with it.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #27
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Your decision not to buy the GT was a good one, IMHO. When you see that many things that have been done just plain wrong, you should always assume there is a lot of other stuff that was done wrong... like the remote start system install.

I do disagree with Fox bodies being considered expensive. Both my 87 and 88GTs, each with well over 100k were more reliable than my 02 GT brand new.

Glad you found something... I'm jealous if it's sonic blue. Wow I love that color.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #28
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Awesome- congrats... the one you passed on sounds like my car hehehe!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote