MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2001, 02:35 AM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Question How to turn 302 into 347?

I have been planning on building a fast fox body mustang for a while now. All I needed was enough money to buy a stock Mustang and a few thousand to throw into the motor. I had it all planned out as far as what i wanted to do as far as performance modifications go. Well, I have the money but now im thinking of stroking the bastard to a 347, and that throws all my plans out the window because I dont know what all goes into turning a 302 into a 347. I know the idea is to go with a crank that makes for a longer stroke, but what else is involved? what other stock parts have to be changed?
Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 03:32 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I think that a 347 stroker kits usually come with a custom ground crank, different length high strength connecting rods (piston angle is ALOT steeper, lots of friction and stress at higher rpm), also the piston pin is usually offset and the oil control ring is moved in good stroker kits to provide better oil control (to keep the engine from burning oil after 50k miles). Kits usually start at around $1200 and go up to $2200 for a strong street kit. If you're going to go carbureted, it would be ALOT cheaper to convert to a 351W all you'd need is a different oil pan and oil pump pickup, headers, distributor and intake manifold (from what i've read an edelbrock performer or torker II intake will fit under a stock hood and i think maybe a weiand stealth will as well). Good luck!

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

You will need a set of 5.400" forged rods. A 347 forged crank. Bore stock motor 30 over.
Then to help you, you will need a new intake, heads, headers, maf, tb, and TRACTION..

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote