MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-08-2001, 09:09 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Post I am so STUPID.

This past weekend I drove the stang to Nashbille Tenn. and back. No big deal right, it's about 2 1/2 hours from where I live. I get ready to leave Nashville sunday morning and pop the hood, I check the oil, the belts, and the tranny fluid. The tranny was just a little low so I topped it off. I always carry a couple qts. of oil and fluid and a gallon of coolant just in case. I didnt put the dipstick back in. I laid it acroos the intake and pass. fender well. It rode the whole way home and never moved.

I drove the car mon. and tues. 100 miles each day to work and back. I rebuilt the carb. on my dads work truck last night at a buddies shop. While we where there I decided to check the oil and other stuff. I popped the hood walked around and opened it and there it laid on top of the motor. I was like S*^t. I put it back in and checked the fluid level. It was about a qt. low. not to bad though.

I asked the guy who owned the shop and he said it wouldnt have hurt it to bad if it just gradually lost fluid on the way but it's good I caught it now. I felt liek such a dumbass. I am building a car with guy and he must think I am stupid now. Anyways I filled it up and made sure I put the dipstick back in this time.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it).

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 04:26 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Talking

Don't beat yourself up over this as it caused no real harm and it's something we all do, sooner or later.

My best bud, who's a 20-year mechanic and has owned his own highly-profitable 4-bay shop since 1987, bought a brand new Mustang 5.0 some years ago. About a month later, he was changing the oil and placed the filler cap on the top of the intake. After finishing and refilling the crankcase, he slammed the hood closed. Oops! At the same moment, he realized that he had never replaced the oil filler cap. It made a nice big ulge in the middle of his brand new hood.
He had it repaired (next day) and it looked fine but I never let him forget it.

Moral of the story: We're all human and we all screw up. This was your turn - it could have been a lot worse!
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 04:18 AM   #3
stng87
Registered Member

I forgot to put the oil cap back on once so it of course fell down and melted on the headers. Smelled like crap.
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:56 AM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Don't worry, we've all done something dumb or embarassing. I remember driving around with my dipstick tube out. What a bad smell. By the time I got back to where I took it out, I was a quart low. That was one big cloud of burnt oil.. So don't worry.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:43 PM   #5
SoulflyGuy
Registered Member

I am sure that we've all made a mistake with our vehicles. At least it was you that made a small mistake instead of another person making a bigger mistake (hope you don't take your ride to someone else to work on it). I remember taking my old truck out to play in the mud, then all of a sudden, my upper radiator hose fell off. I forgot to tighten the hose clamp. I felt like an idiot. I'm just saying don't worry about it, it could have been a lot worse.

------------------
SoulflyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote