Thread: i got bad luck
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down Re: i got bad luck

You sure did have bad luck!

Sorry you were hit but at least you bought the Contour for cheap so the ditsy girl's insurance should cover your $500 loss. A '99 Contour, if even halfway decent, goes for a lot more than $500.

Too bad you were hurt. Have the fracture looked at and repaired, if possible. Than could mean expensive surgery. Back (spinal) fractures can be quite serious, even if you feel O.K., now. Be sure to let the girl's insurance claim handler know you were injured as that fact gives your claim priority with most insurers. Don't lie but don't tell them you're O.K. as they'll use that to claim you weren't really hurt all that bad.

Don't just take whatever the insurance adjuster offers. Get your $500. 'property damage' back - at the least - and don't sign off on a settlement until your back injury has been fully diagnosed and treatment and/or surgery planned. Know what kind of money you're looking at for your medical bills and be absolutely certain that it's included in any settlement you eventually make, as it's too late to ask for more once you agree to a figure and cash the check.

As you describe the accident, the driver that hit you is totally liable. If she got a ticket, that helps your case tremendously. Just be careful what you say to any adjuster or claim handler on the case as they sometimes try to be your 'buddy' to get you to say something that will give the insurance company a reason to pay you as little as possible. I'm not paranoid, I know the business.

Sorry for your trouble. I wish you all the best as you deal with this bad luck.