MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2001, 11:59 AM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Angry Do I really need an impact wrench?

Do I really need an impact wrench to remove and install my alt. underdrive pulley. Having a hard time getting someone to lend me one...For a weekend project, can I use a torque wrench instead? Thanks....
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 12:22 PM   #2
quick89gt
Registered Member

I took mine to auto zone when i switched mine, and they did it for me really quickly, and i know they used an impact. i have impacts here at my house, but no vice or anything to put it in to keep it from turning. if there is an autozone or anything like that around there, i would just take it there, and they will have it done in 5 mins. josh

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Bored .030 Over, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Keith Black hyp. flat top Pistons, Screamin' Deamon Coil, Champion Plugs, March Underdrive Pulleys, 255lph Fuel Pump, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 12:31 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

No you don't need one, but it's the best tool for the job. I used a vise grip on the old alt. pulley to keep it from turning, but that pulley is now trash. Maybe if I'd wrapped a strip of rubber around the pulley before the vise grip it might have been salvageable. You could probably go to a garage and have them remove and replace the nut when you change pulleys for a few bucks or even for free if the guy is cool. Ought to take all of 2 minutes. Just a thought. BTW you don't really need the alternator pulley on it's not really going to improve your performance and if you have a nice stereo or plan on putting one in remember the new pulley doesn't give you much juice at idle. When I sit at a light at night my lights dim and the volts go way down and I have the stock stereo and no foglights or accessories hooked up.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Auto Zone will probably rent you an impact wrench for free. You just have to give them a deposit. But I have heard they will even do the swap for free for you.
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 02:07 PM   #5
ByrdPE
Registered Member

Thumbs down

FWIW,I would leave the stocker on the alternator.Is it a 3G??

------------------
FMS 373,Mac U/D Pullies,B&M shift kit,B&M Trans cooler,
KYB's,FMS 65mm T/B,Moroso cold air kit,75mm Bullet,BBK sub frame connectors,Power-slotted rotors w/performance friction pads
PST performance sway-bar kit,3G alternator,Maximum Motorsports Strut tower brace,Maximum Motorsports G-Load brace
Maximum Motorsports lower control arms,Autometer,oil,H2O,
volt MSD6AL,MSD Blaster coil,'Tiny Avenger'intake pipe

ByrdPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 05:30 PM   #6
89LXNB
Registered Member

It can be done without it but it is extremely difficult. I was in your shoes and even when I was able to keep the pulley from moving the vehicle(I have a standard transmission) I could not get enough on it to budge it. Then my buddy came by with an impact wrench and in about 3 seconds, it was off.
It can be done however. I would not recommend it though.
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 05:43 PM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

Its not that hard if you are a mechanic and have a good set of tools. otherwise, take it to someone with an impact.

i did mine with a combination wrench, and an allen wrench

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 02-19-2001).]
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:29 PM   #8
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Before I owned an impact, I would bring my alternator to a machine shop. Usually they'd do it for free.

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:49 PM   #9
88gt150k
Registered Member

ok ive gone through some hell gettin my crank bolt off and ive never had a impact break it loose. but im sure most will come free with a good impact set-up. but mine was just a pain.
heres how i broke mine free, block your wheels, put car in reverse, put a pair of channel locks on the harmonic balancer,
use your torque wrench(cheater bar) pull it
as far as it will go, hold it there repostion
the cheater bar for another turn. thus the forward motion of the car will help break it free. also if you have someone available
have them pressing the brakes.

------------------
88gt gt40 irons mill/port, ported up/low efi,mac longs,1.6 rrs, crane fpr,fms a/c elim,dynomax s.t.,190lph,weld rims, bfg drs,3.73s, parts in limbo 24# inj and compcam .533 lift, 73 c&l mass
82gt 351w in limbo
89 4 cyl notch in limbo
88gt150k is offline   Reply With Quote