MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2001, 08:17 PM   #1
KillaZ350
Registered Member

Post I got rid of my Z, and stepped into the light. Finially!!

Ive been at this s ite for awhile whining and moaning about wanting something new, i was looking at new mustangs and camaros, mainly mustangs to get something different... Well i test drove about 5 different stangs, a 1998 GT, a 3 1999 GT and 1 vert GT... The 1998 GT was just SAD (keep in mind this opinion is based on "this" one car, the only 1996-98 ive ever driven, im not bashing it, i had my sites on a 99-00GT anyway. The 1998 handled bad, no low end at all, top end was ok... My 1991 Z28 would have ate it in everything....
Then i went and test drove some 99GTs, they were all the same pretty much.... It rode nice, the seat wasent comfy, it was much better then that 1998 GT, handled better... On the freeway it wasent as fast as i thought it would be but no slouch.. every Lt1 ive driven felt faster. Again im not bashing stangs, im just being straight up on my opinion, and stangs arent for everybody.... Then i went and test drove some Ls1 camaros... a 99 Z28 with 25K miles and a white 1998 Z28 and fell in love with them both... I ended up buying the White 1998 Z28, it has Ttops, a Caramel Color leather interior, and OMG on the freeway its like a freaking jet....
I picked the Z28 over the GT becaus, It felt like it had a wider stance and more solid grip to the road then the stang, tighter suspension which i liked becaus i felt more in control.. It was lots faster(sorry), And it has Ttops which are fun as crap and something i have always wanted in a car.... Right now its none stock, my only mods i plan to do is an SLP Loud Mouth exhaust, K&N filter(whewwhoo, your a nobody w/o a k&n) Granatelli Motor Sports Air Lid and MAF, and a torque converter, and mabey some pullys hopefully that will make it a tad faster... I stuck my hand through the intake and felt the MAF and it feels like a rock clogging up my intake Anyway i love it... All my car friends have stangs just about and im the only Fbody owner pretty much except for 3 others....

------------------
1991 Z28 Camaro L98
5.7L T.P.I
Blk ext/grey lthr int
http://www.iroc-z.org/albums/KamaroZ91/

[This message has been edited by KillaZ350 (edited 05-02-2001).]
KillaZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
KillaZ350
Registered Member

new sig

------------------
1998 Z28 Camaro LS1
White ext/ lthr int
Old 05-02-2001, 09:02 PM   #3
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

3rd Gens aren't exactly my favorite, but as I remember yours was pretty nice. Black is definitely the color to have if you drive a 3rd Gen IMO. Anyway, I'm not surprised that the LS1's felt a lot faster considering the horsepower descrepancy between them and the GT's Well at least I can welcome you to the club sort of, because you now have a white muscle car and that happens to be the color of my Mustang.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:06 PM   #4
rbatson

Thumbs up

I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Is it a manual or auto? I haven't driven a manual ls1 but the auto I drove didn't feel that fast, it wasn't until I race it against my cobra that I saw how fast it was. The cobra just feels faster to me.. and to the guy who owns the ls1. Actually I raced him right after I got the car, we're due for a rematch.
Oh and the 99 GT I test drove felt pretty impressive to me. Did you test drive a 99-00 manual mustang?

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 05-02-2001, 09:14 PM   #5
NTIMD8
Registered Member

SWEET! New cars are always fun. Congrats!

------------------
SHP RACING

www.SHPRACING.com
Hang on for the ride of your life!
NTIMD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:28 PM   #6
KillaZ350
Registered Member

its an Auto,
All the mustangs i test drove were autos to. I didnt like that the Mustang GT didnt have the Overdrive gear like the Z28 does in the a4, and the Ttops is what won me over...

i ran a 1997/8 Cobra in it already from 15mph to like 45 and "barley" pulled on him it was almost even... i was expecting to get him by more, but it was a half azz race becaus of traffic and my a4 didnt down shift. it sounded pretty loud, and i dont know what it had either so i dont know, i thought the 97 cobras were actually slower then the new GTs for some reason.... Then i heard they have 305HP stock so i didnt feel so bad (i used to get stomped by cobras in the 91) so i should be happy now! But you never know what your running on the street...
Old 05-02-2001, 10:31 PM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Cool

Congrats.. Sounds sweet! Have fun!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 01:41 AM   #8
84stangLX

hey man, congrats! I'm going to have to somewhat agree with you on your comparison because i know exactly what you're talking about. Personally, i'd be hesitant to buy an automatic mustang also...i may sound weird saying this but camaros just have a better feel with the automatic than the mustangs. Of course i'm a die hard manual tranny guy and everything i buy i want to be a stick, but a camaro/firebird would be the one vehicle i'd probably be able to stand with an auto. If i had the money i'd buy a newer Firebird Trans Am WS6 ram air because they look mean and haul @ss, but other than that i'm a die hard mustang fan. Again, congrats on your excellent new ride and have fun!
Old 05-03-2001, 06:52 AM   #9
stng87
Registered Member

Talking

Way to surf your options KillaZ350! At least you got a good feel for all before you made any decisions. Too bad you didnt get to drive a manual though, you'd have been surprised I think

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, adj. FPR, rebuilt aod w/shift kit, 65mm TB, 4.10's 12.90's at best probably less, oops I mean worse.
*** AOD's. IT'S MANUAL! Now for the T-5z!
Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 10:33 PM   #10
13sec95vert
Registered Member

you should have test drove 5 speed mustangs its a huge differance unlike in ls1s where it dosnt make that much off a diff. in auto or manual. mustangs automatics come with a poor lock up design and tight torque converter.which can make the auto stang about half a sec slower than a 5 speed.

------------------
1995 gt convertible:
3.55 gears, underdrive pulleys, cobra intake , fenderwell cold air, 65mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, off-road h pipe, borla cat back, custom diablo chip, 155lph fuel pump lentech aode street terminator w/ 10" converter stalls at 2800 rpms, yokohama a520(drag radials) 275s
13sec95vert is offline   Reply With Quote