MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Gonna.Get.Me.A.sTaNg
Registered Member

Default I need help on this one

I'm thinking about getting a 1993 stang from this guy, but he said it has power steering issues... anyone know how much it is to fix these kind of problems? If it's too much then I gotta pass on it, but the rest of it seems pretty sweet.
Gonna.Get.Me.A.sTaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Re: I need help on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna.Get.Me.A.sTaNg
I'm thinking about getting a 1993 stang from this guy, but he said it has power steering issues... anyone know how much it is to fix these kind of problems? If it's too much then I gotta pass on it, but the rest of it seems pretty sweet.
Its not overly expensive, and its not hard to replace. There is the pump, and there is the rack and pinion. Find out what kind of issues it has, and we could better help you.

A new pump with a resivoir will run you about $50, the pressure hose is about $25, and the return shouldnt be more than a few bucks, and a new rack shouldnt be any more than about $90. If you know how to turn a wrench (literally) you can change them yourself.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Agreed. Nothing in the power steering system on the 1993 Mustang is all that hard to replace.

Worst case scenario is the rack, which is prone to failure because of the aluminium gear wear. You'll want to get an alignment after replacing the rack, and since you're already in there, replacing the inner/outer tie rod ends might not be a bad idea. To be honest, when I do a job like that and I have a little cash, I like to replace everything that's related just so I'm not doing work again on the same area a few days later.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
fordguy23
Registered Member

The rack , lines, and the pump...thats all they is too it...can't be much wrong with it..

www.crazyhorseperformance.net

Specializing in 87 up mustang parts. New and Used

My website is for mustangs only. It has free classifieds forums and many other options...New pics and videos added daily. So check it out.
fordguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote