MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
PeTr0
Registered Member

Default Spring Whatchamacallit

I put the bottom and top spring isolators back on my new coil springs...but i didnt put that other rubber thing that was on the inside of the spring in....what is it..what does it do and do i need to take it apart to put it in???
Red 1993 Gt- 3.55 gears,flowmasters,BBK Shortie Headers, BBK Hi-Flow H-Pipe, BBK cold air induction w/K&N, Pro 5.0 shifer,UPR Adjustable cable and quad, 130 amp alt., underdrives,65mm T-body,MegaBite Jr. Lowers and Heavy Duty HPM uppers, Koni Yellow struts & Shocks, FMS 'B' Springs, Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD 6AL and blaster tfi coil, sony cd player and changer, kicker component speakers, Kenwood Excelon amp, 2 12" subs in the hatch,Cobra R Rims and Nitto NT555 all around, timing bumped to 13 deg., ADS Superchip, and mobil 1 oil lubing the 302.
PeTr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I always thought it was to keep the spring from bowing... I figured Ford put them there for a reason, so I put mine back...
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Technick
Registered Member

It is there strickly for what Ford calls NVH. Otherwise known as: Noise, Vibration, Harshness. I have removed dozens of them and have never had a customer complaint. Keep it in if you want, it will not hurt anything, as far as I am concerned it is just extra weight, just like that big 10 lb dampner hanging off of the rear end. Just extra weight. Only ever had 1 car where it made a difference in NVH out of dozens that have been removed. Took one off a guys car once and he never noticed untill 4 months later when he was having the exhaust system done and then he wanted it put back on because "Ford put it there for a reason", despite the fact that he did not know it was missing untill he saw it missing. So we put it back on.