MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-30-2002, 07:21 AM   #1
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Buying a streetbike.. need advice!!!

This will be my first streetbike but I'm very experienced with dirtbikes if that matters. I'm 6'2 190lbs so I can handle weight pretty well if needed.

I don't know **** about the "jap" bikes but I want one. What bikes would you guys recommend? Can I go used? Give me some ideas and how about obtaining the license and training courses. I know there are beginners and a advanced class right? I would like a 900 but I'm realistic that it may be too much for me as a first bike. I'm thinking 600 or 750 range.. In particular, there is a 2000 SS750 Ducati that really catches my interest..

Here is a post from a site on the typical bikes around now but not Ducati. I know Ducati has been using the same platform for a good couple of years now and may be due for an upgrade. What do you guys think??

Kawasaki ZX-9R-lacks cornering clearance and it's wide, makes riding through twisties hard, great sport-tourer,very comfortable, good smooth tranny, great for the street, definately not the track, heavy

CBR954RR-great chasis,awesome brakes-almost as strong as the GSXR's, easy to turn, but will still grind metal before the GSXR or the R1, not as much horsepower as the R1 or the GSXR

Suzuki GSX-R1000-lightest, most powerful open class bike, handful to ride, solid mid corner bike, but hard to turn in quick,
most respected on the street and track right now

Yamaha R1- Less horsepower than the GSXR, but also easier to ride, suspension is a lot more forgiving and the riding position is much better than the GSXR, but not as good as the Honda or the ZX9

According to most racers (who also ride on the street) this is quoted from roadracing world
"Yamaha - As easy to ride at a moderate pace as it is to haul ***** the track.
Suzuki - Street-based shortcomings offset by incredible track-prowess.
Honda - Easiest-to-ride bike here but can't make up for horsepower deficit on track.
Kawasaki - Great street bike that's simply outclassed when the pace escalates. "
Kawasaki ZX-9R-lacks cornering clearance and it's wide, makes riding through twisties hard, great sport-tourer,very comfortable, good smooth tranny, great for the street, definately not the track, heavy

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 05-30-2002 at 07:58 AM..
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
1fastchick
Registered Member

Quote:
Yamaha R1- Less horsepower than the GSXR, but also easier to ride, suspension is a lot more forgiving and the riding position is much better than the GSXR, but not as good as the Honda or the ZX9
ROFLMAO yamaha R6 and R1 are by far one of the hardest to ride because of the throttle response so instead of going over all this. Most this info is going to be useless since you are new to sportbikes.
Delete Everything you posted from you memory......Lets start over

Dirtbikes and streetbikes= 2 different worlds. Gives you the basics of knowing how to shift use a clutch and sit on one.

The new 600s now can you get you into trouble very quickly. They are nimble light and quick.

First you need to sign up for the motorcycle safety course in your area. Second you need to figure out how much you are going to spend. Personally I would stay away from ducati and all their matience problems. My friends is in the shop more than out of it. Plus they are expensive aka your paying for the name.

If you "HAVE" to get a 600 for a first bike I would suggest getting a used one something like a honda f2, f3 ish or even a SV650 for a first bike. If you like naked bikes the Sv650 is perfect cause you won't be paying 4k in plastics when you drop it doing something stupid.

Also remember you need about a grand in gear. Helmet , gloves, jacket, boots, and pants if possible. They make jackets for hot weather so there is no excuse for not wearing one.

Also you need to figure out what kind of riding you are going to be doing. Are you going to be doing alot of long trips, twisty canyon riding, trackdays, or just riding to and from work type stuff.

If you are looking for a more "sporty" bike for long trips then a katana, vfr and other bikes of that nature are going to be more comfortable.

Here are some bike options
Kawasaki:
EX250, EX500
zx600E

Honda:
CBR f2, F3, (maybe) F4
Vfr

Yamaha:
600r (not the R6)

Suzuki:
SV650
Older GSXR 600

when I talk about older bikes I am not talking about 1 or 2 yrs old either.

Also check out www.sportbikes.net and www.sportbikeworld.com they have loads of info on first bike choices.

And there isn't anything wrong with getting a higher CC bike. Its not that people don't think you can handle the power its dealing with it in emergency situations.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:43 AM   #3
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Thanks fastchick,

How do I find out about the training courses in a given area?

I also agree about the cc size issue. I've heard some people say that you will dump the bike eventually no matter what and it can happen on any size bike. They also say that once you get experienced, the small bikes become annoying after a while so go for the power when you can.

I love the plastic body parts. I have to admit it. The Ducati just looks like it's made for me. Damn they look sexy. I can deal with the maintenance, as I'm fairly handy and make good $ . But I do not want a piece of crap. If there is a bike that comes close to how they look and ride, this is the direction for me. I've known a few people who are sold on these. The 2000' ss750 I'm looking at could probably be bought for around $7300.

I want a bike that is fast but it doesn't have to be the fastest out there at all. I want good control in the twisties and the power to get out of trouble if the need arises. I will use the bike for play but the occassional drive to work too(highway commute for 40 mins 1way).

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
Old 05-30-2002, 11:03 AM   #4
89LXFLEA
Registered Member

BIKE FOR SALE

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 2001
NINJA 750R OR WHAT EVER IT
IS I KNOW IT IS A 750 AND
IT IS A KAWASAKI. IT HAS ONLY
500-700 MILES ON IT HE PAID
9200 FOR IT NEW. I THINK HE IS
ASKING 7500 FOR IT. IF YOU
NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW.

FLEA
89LX 302 C4 4:10GEAR X CAM,GT40
IRON HEADS,PERFORMER RPM 650
HOLLEY NO STALL YET, GRIFFEN RADIATOR,MAC EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES,H-PIPE,PRO DUMPS NOW
IT IS A LITTLE FASTER AT 12.94@106.38
RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER # 47
89LXFLEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:06 PM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

LOL I can't believe there has been no Kawi bashing...

wow...

anyways, here is the MSF site:
http://www.msf-usa.org
It's a very good idea to go through this first.
As far as getting a 600 goes as a first bike, I say go for it. Lots of people outgrow the small bikes quick, and are ready for upgrading but cant afford it. I wish I would have started on a liter-bike first instead of my 600. I outgrew it in a year. But I can't afford upgrading to a bigger bike every time I get used to the smaller one. I've had it for over 3 years and never laid it down, not ONE scratch. *knocking on wood furiously* I'm not that much of a stunt person, only a few wheelies and such here and there, I like to go fast and drag race it, and corner carve, that's all, so that probably kept me out of trouble. People who do lots of stunts all the time usually find themselves in trouble (squids).
Good luck, and treat every cage as if they were out to get you, and you'll be ok. BE CAREFUL! It's never you, it's always the idiot that wasn't paying attention, and didn't see you.

Other than that, 1fastchick posted good advice.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:27 PM   #6
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by 96SNAKE

How do I find out about the training courses in a given area?
Go to your local Motorcycle dealer. I know that Honda has an approved training course that they offer at several different locations all across the u.s. More than likely there is one in or very near your home town. They should have all the information on cost, times and requirements you must have to take the course. JustFYI. the Honda approved course here is $80 dollars, Three days, Friday night, all day Saturday and all day sunday. Its a great thing to do. I am still unable to take it here because it is booked until late october. My suggestion is get your name in NOW.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 03:39 PM   #7
kiku2sleep
Registered Member

I wouldn’t get anything over a 600. All of the newer race replica 600s will put your balls in your throat. The best thing to do is to go to the dealership and sit on all the bikes. The second I sat on the gixxer I knew it was the one for me. I am totally satisfied with my bike. I now have about 11,000 miles one it and I haven't had any problems. Don’t be a squid, get some good gear and wear it. Take the MSF course, and I would recommend reading A Twist of the Wrist 1&2 by Keith Code. It is also a good practice to keep the rubber side down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiku usa.jpg (66.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-30-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I would basically agree with everything said.

As far as cc size, I would go for the 600. I started on a 600 with no bike experience at all and did fine with it. I fell over on it (not really a wreck at all) the first day I had it with very minimal damage but have not laid it down or knocked it over since (also knocking on wood....I almost hate to even say I haven't laid it over). My buddy started on a Ninja 250, which I'll admit would have been a lot easier to learn on due mainly to the its light weight, but he got bored with it quickly. He has now sold it and gotten a 600.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Have you ever sat on a Ducati? I'd seriously suggest at least sitting on one before you think about picking it up. I disagree with the reliability maintenance issues and the Ducati. A 750 SS has been around a while. They have a lot more preventive maintenance than other bikes. Valve checks/adjustments every 5,000mi, rebuild every 15,000mi. They are usually not cheap to work on either. That being said, my friends shop did a LOT of Ducati work, and most of it was routine maintanence. The Ducati is finicky as all get out though and I wouldn't trust Joe Blow mechanic to work on it. The dry clutch sounds like your engine is coming apart, too, LOL. Basically, the Ducati looks killer, rides like a bear, is uncomfortable for most people your size, and is much more expensive to maintain. They aret not exceptionally fast, especially for their displacement, but that's not something you need any more of. Oh, the sound is better than any other sportbike hands down.

I think a Ducati makes a REALLY bad first bike. If you lay it down you'll be looking at 5 arms and 6 legs to fix it. Try to find factory tanks for them. LOL, get on the waiting list. You're also going to be spending a ton for a hobby you don't even know if you'll like. Not to mention insurance on that thing. OWWWWW!!

There are obviously going to be seriously biased opinions when you ask about bikes. Just like we like Mustangs, the owners of their respective bikes are generally in love with their bike.

Personally, for a first time rider, a Honda CBR F2 or Yamaha FZR would be my choice. The Kawasaki holds it resale too much to justify it, and the Katana isn't a liquid cooled bike. You should be able to pick up an F2 or FZR for well under $3000 if you look around, and if you drop it, there are a lot of parts out there. Also, if you pick up an inexpensive bike, you don't need to be as scared about having liability only if you're a younger guy. Full coverage on a sport bike is usually pretty lethal to the wallet. If I had to choose between the two, the F2 is the better bike. It's lighter, easy to increase the power, has more normal sized wheels that you can actually find tires for, and it doesn't have that early 80's lookin taillight. The older FZR's also have some gearbox issues. The other nice thing is those bikes will hold resale very well if you don't bust them up, so if you want to move up, you're not gonna be out too much.

I don't think I could justify an F3 either. If you do some shopping a lot of times you can find an F4 for just a few hundred more.

Stay away from the 900's, and don't believe what you read about the ZX9R. By today's standards it's a "touring" bike but that same bike 10 years ago would have ruled the pavement. I've seen ZX9R's with a pipe and a jet kit put down over 120hp longer than the Hayabusa. I'm talking like 3500rpms of between 120-135rwhp.

Also, the idea you can handle the weight is a little amusing. A 200-250lb dirtbike you can manhandle a little. A 400lb-550lb street bike feels like it weighs a ton when you're trying to tug it around. Just doesn't work. I've ridden dirt bikes too. Believe me, for the first 5min of riding around on the FZR, it was night and day different.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:47 PM   #10
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
There are obviously going to be seriously biased opinions when you ask about bikes. Just like we like Mustangs, the owners of their respective bikes are generally in love with their bike.

Stay away from the 900's, and don't believe what you read about the ZX9R. By today's standards it's a "touring" bike but that same bike 10 years ago would have ruled the pavement. I've seen ZX9R's with a pipe and a jet kit put down over 120hp longer than the Hayabusa. I'm talking like 3500rpms of between 120-135rwhp.
Yep! Everyone usually has their own personal preference when it comes to a bike brand or model. I personally love the Kawi I ride, she's been gentle to me in my learning stages Its always nice to have less to worry about and start on a 250 or 500, but financial constraints can sometimes make that impossible, since paying for a Mustang can be a full time hobby

In my short time being interested in sportbikes, I've come to learn that as usual, everyone has something to say about this bike or that bike, etc. The mags are good to read and get info about possible trouble spots with certain models and can serve as a good guide, but as a general rule, I say learn by your own experience. I claim to be knowledgable (and only a little at that!)only about the bike that I ride, because I've never had a chance to ride or fully experience any other model.

Just stick to a bike that offers a forgiving ride, and take that course! I can't offer much more advice, but I wish you luck Let us know which scoot you choose.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 12:34 PM   #11
1fastchick
Registered Member

Hey I kept my Kawi bashing aside

Unit thx for remember the other bikes. I completely went blank remember the other models out there.

Personally I couldn't do the start small go larger I needed something I could keep and not get frusturated with it ina yr or so. Personally after 3 yrs of riding I am now wanting a 750 or 1000 just for the torque reasons.........but thats another story

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
Old 05-31-2002, 05:12 PM   #12
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kiku2sleep
I wouldn’t get anything over a 600. All of the newer race replica 600s will put your balls in your throat. The best thing to do is to go to the dealership and sit on all the bikes. The second I sat on the gixxer I knew it was the one for me. I am totally satisfied with my bike. I now have about 11,000 miles one it and I haven't had any problems. Don’t be a squid, get some good gear and wear it. Take the MSF course, and I would recommend reading A Twist of the Wrist 1&2 by Keith Code. It is also a good practice to keep the rubber side down.

The dealership near me has both, the Ducati and GSXr's to choose from. Personally, I really do like the idea of the 4valve engines in the Suzuki but the racing look bothers me a little. I like the body style of the GSX but I wish it had a mono-color look instead of the "check me out racing" thing. As ridiculous as it seems, can they be professionally painted? The idea of the logos on one color works for me. I think the 600 is a little lighter than the Ducati too. Probably by about 40 lbs.

How is the torque on the 600GSXr? I hear you have to rev them and really kick the gears down to get moving but once you do, they really do move. Keep in mind, I want a bike that will be comfy enough for highway commutes.

Comfort wise, they are similar but the Ducati seems like it would better for the longer rides and twisties. My salesman said he had both and we went over the postives of each. I asked him given the same price, what would he recommmend? He said the Ducati for everything else but straight line performance. Unless I opted for the 4 valve Duc's but at 15k, I just can't justify it. 10k is my ceiling for this whole thing and if I could do it for around 9, even better.

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
Old 05-31-2002, 05:22 PM   #13
1fastchick
Registered Member

groan if you have to get new you can walk out the door with a new Honda F4i for 7500 easily.......If you have 10 for the whole thing to spend then get good leathers 1k,summer jacket 120, boots 200-375, gloves 75-140, and a good helmet you like 140-700 bucks.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
Old 05-31-2002, 05:52 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If you're dead set on new, you can't rule out the Triumph TT600 either. Personally, I think it's the best looking 600cc bike out there hands down. It's not flashy, but is muscular looking and smooth.

The Triumph took a lot of critisism from many riders when it first came out in 2000, I beleive. It had some serious EFI glitches which caused a loss of power in the midrange that was very frustrating. Also people were babbling on about the TT's not making the same power as other bikes in their class. The latter comment is false. The TT600's put down about 93-94rwhp out of the crates. It's right on par with the ZX-6R and the F4. The YZF-R6 and GSX-600R have the advantages. As for the EFI glitches, Triumph spent a lot of time working them out with new remaps, and they fluctuated the hp levels a little, but the later remaps seem to have it working great. For the people who were so hung up on that, even the R6 had some HORRIBLE carb glitches in a few instances right from the factory. It's not like it's unheard of. The Triumph is heavier than it's competition despite the factories very optimistic claims that it's around 375. Heh. It's closer to 425, making it the heaviest of the hi-po 600's. Still, all the reports said it had an excellent chassis and some of the best brakes in the class. If it was a lighter and the engine could compete with the top two bikes, it would have made some crazy waves when it hit the market. Reliability issues were mainly around the EFI glitches and the clutch cable (which has been fixed).

Again, I would stress that starting out with a brand new bike is very expensive, especially when you don't know if you will like it, and you're gonna have a ton of power. If you lay it down, it's gonna be REAL expensive.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:11 PM   #15
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I don't have to go with "new" but it seems like it may be my best option. Right now, I can get 2.9% financing at the dealer. I understand the mark-up and the cost difference between new and used. I'm weighing the options now. It appears as if the price difference in bikes and cars is not exactly the same. Bikes seem to retain their value a little bit more but not a lot. Again, I am checking around to make the best decision.

The dealer does have Triumph bikes too. They aren't bad looking at all but I'm not sure if they have that certain thing I'm looking for, whatever that is.

The SS750 puts out around 64hp to the wheels. The 900 is around 80hp. Both seem to make good torque. I would like to lean towards the Ducati 750 but I'm worried that the power may get boring after a while. The GSX could still be the one I go with.. Ahhgh decisions..

Here is a link to the Ducati style I'm talking about..

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/9/1770369.htm

Last edited by 96SNAKE; 05-31-2002 at 07:23 PM..
Old 05-31-2002, 08:23 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Ducati has a different kind of power. It'll take you quite a while to be able to use 65rwhp to it's fullest extent.

I don't buy the idea you need 100rwhp to have fun on a bike. Look at the Harley guys. They've gotten by with 30-35rwhp out of their 883's for years, hahahahahahaha.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:41 PM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
I don't buy the idea you need 100rwhp to have fun on a bike. Look at the Harley guys. They've gotten by with 30-35rwhp out of their 883's for years, hahahahahahaha.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 07:32 PM   #18
particleeffect
Registered Member

it seems most popular bike magazines like the gsxr 600 and 1000 best for their respective classes for sheer performance. im talkin about the 01-02 and maybe 03 models. i was really close to buyin a gsxr 600 new last year. again, never really ridden a bike like that but ive grown up on 2 wheels. in the end i ddnt get it, around where i live in central FL i probably see less than 1 bike (of any make) on the road to atleast 1000 cars, and i dont really trust all those cars. and it would have been almost a daily driver.

*scarry*
Old 06-01-2002, 09:46 PM   #19
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:

Also, the idea you can handle the weight is a little amusing. A 200-250lb dirtbike you can manhandle a little. A 400lb-550lb street bike feels like it weighs a ton when you're trying to tug it around. Just doesn't work. I've ridden dirt bikes too. Believe me, for the first 5min of riding around on the FZR, it was night and day different.

I was not saying the 600 is lighter and easier to handle. I am not sure of exact weights, but when i was learning to ride my FZR, my friend had a Ninja 250 I would use some. The 250 seemed much lighter and was easier to "manhandle" around. During slow manuveurs, you could kick it back upright if you began to go down, but not on the FZR.

As for the F2 being a better bike to learn on than the FZR, I would agree without a doubt. I love my bike, but it is tough to beat the F2 for smoothness, both in power delivery and in shifting. I know what you mean about the gearbox issues in the FZR, as mine is a little clunky. The F2 and Katana both shift much better than my FZR.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244

Last edited by Hethj7; 06-01-2002 at 10:13 PM..
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:42 PM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't mind the FZR's notchy gearbox. The problems I was referring to was mainly 2nd gear. It has a nasty tendancy to go out on the bikes before 1991.

Hethj7, I wasn't really addressing you, I was addressing 96SNAKE, who felt he could handle weight pretty well The 250 can be manhandled a little, but not much there either. The 600 class can't be manhandled at all. The 600s are wider, heavier, and they are really built to stay planted.