View Single Post
Old 12-02-2001, 09:43 AM   #9
scott93gt
Registered Member

The reason you are not finding Mustangs on dealer lots is because Ford has scaled back production. I am a sales consultant at a Ford dealer and I also manage the inventory (order the vehicles for stock). We have no Mustangs scheduled for '02 yet and it isn't because we don't want any. We sold over 30 Mustangs last year. That may not sound like a lot but factor in that I live in the snow belt of central PA and our delaership sells about 800 new Fords annually. We just got our production numbers for January and we are allowed to order 3 Mustangs. That is half of all the Mustangs offered to our zone of 11 dealers. The reason you find more v6's is this: the 4.6 is almost over sourced. Consider all the vehicles the 4.6 powers; F150, Expedition, Explorer, Crown Vic, Econoline, Mustang, not to mention the Linclons and Mercs. The common misconception is that the dealer can order what ever they want in as much qunatity as they want. That isn't the case. It is a turn and earn situation. The more you sell, the more production you earn. Unfortunately, even if you earn alot of production, you still have to abide by Ford's "commoditiy controls" which means, for example, of the 17 F150's I can order, xx% have to be regular cabs, xx% have to have 4.2L V6, xx% must be autos, etc. It is a real pain. The real kicker is this, if you don't have a vehicle in your order bank that Ford can build, they schedule their own and it is usually one that you would never order in the first place. Hope this helps and sorry for the length.
5 speed, Hurst Competition Plus, 3 chamber Flows, 3.08's.

2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
(no pictures yet)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote