MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #21
RBatson
Registered Member

Hey, I bought some decent(cheap) dishware from Target once.. was a 4 place set until someone dropped a plate.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:34 AM   #22
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

RBatson - You bring up some very good points about Sears too.

Maybe we are all over-analyzing all of this. Why don't we just shop where it is convenient and try to buy American when it is available ?

I suppose if we quit shopping or buying from companies that had policies we didn't agree with, there would be no place left to buy from.....

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 PM   #23
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Re: Re: Sears Roebuck does the Right Thing

Originally posted by RBatson:

Quote:
OMG! Not trying to be an ****** here Jim but, so does every other major corporation. I'm starting to think its a law or something. Its like pulling Jury Duty, the company pays the difference. Nothing against Sears but do they honestly have any full -time employees?? Seriously?!? I think they were one of the first to cut back to only part-time help to save money on benefits to thier workers.
Rick:

The thread was about Target Stores and their attitudes regarding a specific veterans issue. I was simply stating a fact regarding Sears policy toward their military employees called up for duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom and offering them as a shopping alternative to Target.

I'm sure Sears has plenty of full time employees but probably not as salespeople that you see on the selling floor. It's NOT a law for any company to make up the difference in pay between military and civilian paychecks but simply a good PR move and more importantly, a way to keep valuable employees happy. Retail department stores work on fairly short profit margins in many cases and have always been low-paying places to work with bad hours and crappy conditions. That was the case 100 years ago and it hasn't changed a bit. They also don't require very much to get hired except the ability to breathe. We like the low prices we pay at these places and part of that comes from the stores keeping overhead down by paying chicken-feed wages and requiring a lot of effort for the money in most cases. Department stores also are the victims of massive theft looses, a lot of it from those low-paid and resentful employees. Tough business.

For the record, I don't work for a department store or have any financial interest in any of them. I was simply making a suggestion for alternative stores to Target for those who didn't wish to shop there anymore. Obviously that doesn't include you.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:22 PM   #24
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Sears Roebuck does the Right Thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0

Rick:

The thread was about Target Stores and their attitudes regarding a specific veterans issue. I was simply stating a fact regarding Sears policy toward their military employees called up for duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom and offering them as a shopping alternative to Target.

thank you, 5.0. i know retail isn't exactly brain surgery, but i like my boss, the people i work with, an the fact that I HAVE a job. as for 84lx89Gt's comment about his experiance workin for the "bulls eye" the only thing i can ask is where did you work in highschool? shopping cart attendant? cashier? because the only people allowed to work 40hrs and up are 19yrs + employees..which excludes most high school kids out. even then we prefer you to have some other job history. and if you're like any of the highschool kids we have working here an you only work 3-days a week, hello! of course your gonna get pay cut, your lowest of the low on the totem pole; an frankly, calling out of work on weekends when we do most of our weekly revenue dosen't exactly push you to the front of the promotion list in the eyes of a supervisor... sorry, but you reap what you sew. an if you don't give a crap about your job, your gonna get crapped on.

1994 GT 5.0l

Last edited by 0h n0 5.0; 03-31-2003 at 04:42 PM..
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:15 PM   #25
The Deuce
Registered Member

Ed- thanks for debunking the myth.

Jim- Insightful, as always.

Rick- I'm not sure who put the stick in your arse this morning, but it wasn't me. Nice dyslexia too.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:55 AM   #26
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Let's see. . . I'm a veteran, (although I don't have any of the issues many have with their association with the military machine) Target doesn't think folks like me are worth tackling. . . .I think I've walked into my last Target store. See. . .it's like this, Target has every right to use their money and resources any way they see fit.
I on the other hand have every right to not endorse Target. As a citizen of this great country, I also have the right to speak of my decision in public whether Target thinks it is libel or schmibel.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #27
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

jeeze, I thought we settled this.. i'm bringin home a company letterhead tonight to put this away once an for all.. because yes, our p.r people have gotten word of this sheistey *** chain letter bull bein put out into circulation, an are here to shut this thing up.

1994 GT 5.0l
Old 04-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #28
bryan manduley
Registered Member

Default i am now boycotting target!

why does target choose to support gay and lesbians causes and choose to NOT support causes that have to do with our veterans? we as americans owe our veterans greatly. if it were not for our veterans and our military we would not have the thriving capitalism that we enjoy and take for granted today. i personally will never shop at target again because of this matter. i will also let other people know about targets coperate views concerning our veterans. personally, i think our veterans deserve a lot more support than what they currently receive. i love our country and i would not want to live anywhere else in the world! we as americans owe our freedom, prosperity, and livelyhood to god and our veterans.

p.s.- i also do not have any use for anti-war protestors!

bryan manduley
bryan manduley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:07 AM   #29
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I had to back up and read Ed's post, I was a little premature.
Finally, i had a reason to tell the little woman "No, I don't want to go to Target" "They are discriminating agains't me and my fellow Amurricans."
Target, I retract my earlier statement, but I still reserve the right to use the aforementioned excuse as I see fit.
(if my wife ever mentions their anti-veteran stance. . . . just smile and think pleasant thoughts)
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:55 AM   #30
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

printed on workbench on our intranet. dated 3/20/03

"Thank you for contacting Target to inquire about our support of veterans. Unfortunately, a letter has been circulating via email for nearly a year that misrepresents Target's support of veterans. due to the nature of the internet and email communication, this false information has been perpetuated and modified many times by unknown writers. in fact the National Veterans of Foreign Wars posted a press release on their website on Dec. 6, 2002 to help clarify this issue at http://www.vfw.org/news/target.htm.

Target Corporation does support our veterans and is grateful for the efforts of our men and women in uniform. in fact, for years Target has donated funds and volunteer hours to local and national veteran and military organizations around the country. for example, Target is a sponsor of the national 2003 tour of "The Wall That Heals," a Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund outreach initiative that honors our veterans and has a strong educational component for schools. Target Corporation also counts many veteran and military reservists among its more than 300,000 team members nationwide. To help support these team members, Target corporation provides benefits for activated reservists that surpass those benefits required by law. The Reserve Officers Association has recognized our company for these benefits. in addition to supporting veteran and military organizations on a national scale, we also support local organizations, including:

*Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association in Jackson heights,NY

*Hays County Veterans in San Marcos,Tx

*Kenny Nickelson Memorial Foundation for Homeless Veterans in Manhattan Beach, Ca

* Disabled American Veterans Auxiliaries in Allen Park, Mi/Santa Fe Springs, CA

*Yankee Air Force Museum in Yipsilanti, Mi

*Department of the Army (Fort Hood, Tx)

Target gives to diverse causes that reflect all types of guests in a wide variety of communities. any nonprofit organization may apply for a grant. in general, the organizations program or service to be funded by the grant should meet our giving guidelines related to arts, education, and family violence prevention. While every cause is worthy, Target is unable to grant funds or partner with every organization. For more information that describes the guidelines and the application process, visit any Target store and ask for the grants brochure or go to Target.com and click on"community giving". Thank you for taking the time to inquire about this issue. We wholeheartedly support our veterans and active duty personel and we apprcaiate the concern about this issue.

1994 GT 5.0l
Old 04-02-2003, 04:12 PM   #31
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

Don't use the link above... use my "quoted" one:

Quote:
Originally posted by 0h n0 5.0

http://www.vfw.org/news/target.htm

The "." was messing it up
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #32
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sears Roebuck does the Right Thing

Quote:
thank you, 5.0. i know retail isn't exactly brain surgery, but i like my boss, the people i work with, an the fact that I HAVE a job. as for 84lx89Gt's comment about his experiance workin for the "bulls eye" the only thing i can ask is where did you work in highschool? shopping cart attendant? cashier? because the only people allowed to work 40hrs and up are 19yrs + employees..which excludes most high school kids out. even then we prefer you to have some other job history. and if you're like any of the highschool kids we have working here an you only work 3-days a week, hello! of course your gonna get pay cut, your lowest of the low on the totem pole; an frankly, calling out of work on weekends when we do most of our weekly revenue dosen't exactly push you to the front of the promotion list in the eyes of a supervisor... sorry, but you reap what you sew. an if you don't give a crap about your job, your gonna get crapped on.
I worked during and AFTER i graduated high school, not for very long (around seven months) because i moved. Also you ASSUME i didn't give a crap about my job and that i called in sick on weekends.....well i NEVER called in sick and i worked all the hours available, plus 40 hours a week after i graduated (while i was 18!). I worked as a cart attendant/cashier/stocker so i was at the bottom of the totem pole, but that doesn't make their "system" any better. you have a negative attitude towards teenage kids just like my employers did, which may be understandable, but sucks none the less which was part of my point. Even hard working employees at the store that had been there for years were treated like crap.

"sorry, but you reap what you sew. an if you don't give a crap about your job, your gonna get crapped on." You don't know me OR my work ethic, i was nice to customers and other employees and when someone needed a day off i would step up and fill in. Don't assume because i had a bad experience it was my fault, i had a good experience with the Seattle Times even though i made EVEN less money and worked everyday plus 3:00 morning deliveries on weekends, and i also have worked for Firestone and they were a much better company to work for in benefits and treatment. The reason i left was because i was moving 20 miles away (i'm not going to commute for a poor paying job with bad management) and most of the people who had reviews got denied raises. Maybe it was ****** management at this one store, but i wasn't impressed with the individual store or the corporate side either when i read/had to deal with their policies. Just like you don't seem to trust your teenage employees, the store had a 5 person loss prevention team each day that not only would FOLLOW the employees into the back rooms but follow them with the cameras and watch them with hidden cameras in the backrooms. A company with that little trust of employees generally treats them like garbage, which is of course my opinion.

Again, Just my opinion, didn't mean to say you haven't had a good experience, i just didn't have one myself.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:25 PM   #33
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
While every cause is worthy, Target is unable to grant funds or partner with every organization.
Nor can I.

Quote:
We wholeheartedly support our veterans and active duty personel and we apprcaiate the concern about this issue.
If you start to look at every little move a company makes and everything they support or don't support and who the people they support support I think you'll find something somewhere that may upset you or not go along with you train of thought. I'm a union worker from a union family, Coors brewing is anti-union, I still drink thier beer from time to time.

I agree that everyone has thier right to support who they wish and the right to not shop anywhere they choose, gotta love the good ole USA. I do think there is alot of finger pointing nowadays and much misunderstanding.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #34
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Sears Roebuck does the Right Thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0

[i]

I'm sure Sears has plenty of full time employees but probably not as salespeople that you see on the selling floor. It's NOT a law for any company to make up the difference in pay between military and civilian paychecks but simply a good PR move and more importantly, a way to keep valuable employees happy. Retail department stores work on fairly short profit margins in many cases and have always been low-paying places to work with bad hours and crappy conditions. That was the case 100 years ago and it hasn't changed a bit. They also don't require very much to get hired except the ability to breathe. We like the low prices we pay at these places and part of that comes from the stores keeping overhead down by paying chicken-feed wages and requiring a lot of effort for the money in most cases. Department stores also are the victims of massive theft looses, a lot of it from those low-paid and resentful employees. Tough business.

For the record, I don't work for a department store or have any financial interest in any of them. I was simply making a suggestion for alternative stores to Target for those who didn't wish to shop there anymore. Obviously that doesn't include you.
Heeh, obviously not. I actually quit shopping at Sears way back when they changed thier policies on having full time workers, I knew someone that worked there. I shop there these days and I look for the Made in America logo. My outlook has changed alot over the years. I found it didn't help to hold alittle grudges against someone for voicing thier opinions or supporting who they support because you may drive 10 more miles and shop at a store that has the same policies and you don't even know it. Then there is the problem of 'I can't shop there because of this and I can't go there because of that.' I look at it on a larger scale now and try to buy American whenever possible. I also don't believe everything in print...

I realize its not a law, I was just making a point.

BTW, I have come up with a way to stimulate the economy. I still don't think handing everyone $300 is really gonna help that much. However, if they started making credit card interest and car loan interest a tax deduction again... there would be some motivation for the general public to buy things. Just a thought