MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #21
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

No problem man. Actually im not quite sure what I would call it either, crossover pipe works for me. - John
Old 05-02-2002, 06:59 PM   #22
PKRWUD

Wanna know how to determine the best location for that pipe? Simple. Get a crayon and make a fairly thick line along the length of each of the exhaust pipes. Next, go for a hard drive around the block, and come back and check out the crayon marks. The temp of the exhaust inside the pipes will cause the crayon to burn at a specific spot on each of the pipes. The point where the crayon marks are burned is where the balance tube should be installed.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:21 PM   #23
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

RED FLAG!!!

My temp is running higher now than normal...could it be the 80/20 mix? Should I go with straight distilled water and water wetter? I'm still running the factory gauge, but it registers hotter than when I had the 160 thermo in. I'm not questiong you guys' advice. I'm wondering if there could be something deeper to look at? No boil overs, but my car feels hot...the air con cut out a few times today. It heated up on the open road as well as the city. What am I missing...

Thanks for the crayon advice. Will the balance tube generally be in the same spot as the factory balance tube? Should I have the guy install the pipes, and then do the crayon thing, and then go back and add a balance tube later. I'm taking her in tomorrow, and I'm already very happy with the hop ups.

Just that damn temp!!!
Falcons Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:22 PM   #24
91GTturbo
Registered Member

No one has picked up on it yet, but some pulley systems will cause overheating. Did you have any overheating issues before the install of the pullies? Might be something worth looking into.

And as far as the 160 thermostat, I've always ran them and never had any issues.

It might also be time to do a compression check and see if the headgasket might have let go.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:35 PM   #25
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Jeez, I got the pulleys when I got my car in 92. It really just started heating pretty bad lately. It's the crank/water pump pulley w/ an alternator bracket. I ordered it from a place in Houston...I can't even remember the name of it. They said the app was the same for all 5.0 mustangs w/ S-belts. That stuck in my mind because I remember wondering if it would affect my old 84 like it would the 92. Was I duped?
Old 05-02-2002, 08:55 PM   #26
91GTturbo
Registered Member

If you've had the pullies on this long and it just started overheating, I doubt it's the pullies. Although if you have the time, I would replace the crank/water pump pulley with a factory one and just see what it does.

The car is 10 years old, maybe the water pump is going bad or like I stated earlier, a headgasket.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:39 PM   #27
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I assume that there are no leaks anywhere. Like 91gtturbo said, it could be the water pump. The way I check the water pump is to take the belt and fan off and spin the water pump pulley. If it does not spin pretty freely, the bearing in it is probably about to go. It will not spin and just keep spinning, but believe me you will know it if the bearing is bad. Did you ever check that fan clutch yet?

There aren't any paper wrappers, leaves, etc on the outside of the radiator are there?

Have you tried not running the a/c to see if it makes a difference? I know how hot it gets in Texas, but it is worth a try. We all know how hard it is to turn that damn compressor. LOL.

Last edited by Ieatcamaros; 05-02-2002 at 09:44 PM..
Ieatcamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #28
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

There aren't any visible leaks. What's really weird is that it's running hotter with the 180. Of course, as soon as I poor some cool water on the radiator, it drops back to where it was w/ the 160. I know I can always put the 160 back in, but I have a feeling that this isn't the heart of the problem. And yeah...it's getting damn hot down here...98 today...it's still spring for crying out loud!!!
The clutch offers good resistance cold.
I'm going to go look at the water pump again right now. Hopefully, this is it. Is it possible that something can be clogged?
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM   #29
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

O.k...water pump is fine...Last night after I logged off, I opened the flush out hose that I installed a while back and trickled water into it. It took some, I can't really tell how much. I was hoping that maybe there was an air pocket in the cooling system. This morning, as I drove her to work, she inched up the the halfway mark, but it didn't go over. That is with minimal city driving. This is a good thing because with the same conditions yesterday,she was 3/4 of the way to the top of the gauge...The true test will be this afternoon when I drive it in traffic in 100 degree tempatures...Hopefully by then I'll have no cats and straight h-pipes. rubbing hands. I've already bought the 84.5 inch belt and bypassed the smog pump.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:05 AM   #30
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Alright...i researched the pulleys and got some info on them...they are Auto Specialties pulleys out of Stafford Texas. They have a website. The Crank is 25% and the Water pump is 15%. I have the alternator bracket as well. Does that offer any insight to the heating problem? I'm going to call ford and ask about the 192 thermo.