MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2001, 06:23 PM   #1
blkrain

Arrow My Stang (life) story

Most of U know me on this site. I have been here since 1999 (around May I believe). I have been in the military and attended UT in San Antonio ever since I got stationed here.
I have owned and loved my Stang since 1996, and it was the same love for stangs and fast cars that made me give it up in 2001.

It started out with the purchase of this priceless beauty. After all the paperwork was complete, I stood and watched her being pulled into the lot after she had her bath. There she stood, black, proud, gleaming, and a tough no nonsense look about her.
I immediately jumped into the cockpit and drove out in my new found baby. She was babied, fed with energy drinks (petroleum) and given only the best in lubricating liquids (synthetic fluids). She matured being my baby girl.

She held her own on a few street encounters that she faced. Never backing down and never loosing with just the judicious prompting of my right foot, and the silky swift motions of my right arm and left clutch foot.

Then it happened!!!

She faced one of the Generals finest (Z28 SS) one night after she had been out on an entertainment cruise in. Needless to say, she was completley humiliated and justly so. I could not let this continue to happen to my pretty so I vowed not to let the General humiliate me even with his 350 cid.

In the summer of 1997, she first received her first dose of modifications. This included 3.73 gears, off-road H-pipe, and a drop in K&N filter. These modifications helped propel her to a blistering 14.5 @93mph in a 100 degree Texas heat, with a very high humidity level. Armed with the this she proceeded to take on the General once again, but alas, the General had an arsenal of his own and did not sucuumb to her tries. She then received a second set of modifications consisting of a Borla catback, underdrive pullies, bumped up timing, pro5.0 shifter and 180 deg thermostate. This my dear readers was just what the doctor ordered to hold off the General for the time being.

Over the years, she received some more upgrades to ensure she did rule over whatever section of the street in her class. After I was stationed here in San Antonio, she was treated to some of the biggest treat she could ask for at the time. She received a set of TFS twisted wedge heads, GT-40 intake, and all the host other enhancement to boost that. But this where all her troubles began.

She developed drivability problems, she was not performing well at the track, and she was getting very expensive to own. AC went out, she was overheating, some electrical problems also followed. By then, my girl was fast loosing her appeal. I tried to help out but was met with resistance. It was then I considered getting rid of her completley.

END OF PART ONE ON A THREE PART SOAP SERIES

------------------
TFS heads, Holley intake, AFM B-2 cam,
Black SN95
13.8 @105mph NA
13.2 @112mph 80hp NOS
Wet track, running on NOS setting on NA runs (pig rich and 8 deg timing)

[b]12.9 @110mph best et

Old 06-29-2001, 01:43 AM   #2
PGkelly
Registered Member

Oh the suspense! what happens next?????????

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 11:46 PM   #3
blkrain

Talking

Smartass

I like to keep my fans waiting So part 2 and 3 will be ready for the public by close of business tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

ugh now I want to know what happens...come on already!!!!

Not only that, but you wanted to get rid of HER for what YOU did to her engine? I've messed my car up with mods, but I'm not giving up. Every day I start 'er up and wait for the smoke to settle on her primered exterior, and still, I hang in there. Even if I had the money to cut my losses and move on to another Stang, I wouldn't. Cleaning her up is almost as fun as driving her when she's done. I hope you didn't really end up selling her... but I wouldn't know since you didn't finish the story.

!@#$%^&

This bites...

------------------
Elisha~5.0 HO Racing (ahem HIGH OUTPUT!)
1994 GT: Under top secret construction
Email: Belle@Mustangworks.com
AOL name: CBRBelle306

[This message has been edited by Mustangbelle306 (edited 06-30-2001).]
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 02:47 AM   #5
Snakeman
Registered Member

I know part of the next part...

my mustang been breathing through that intake for about a year now...

11.8 @ 118 on a 150-shot!
woo hoo!
with traction, that's low 11s!

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 06:29 PM   #6
blkrain

Quote:
Originally posted by Snakeman:
I know part of the next part...

my mustang been breathing through that intake for about a year now...

11.8 @ 118 on a 150-shot!
woo hoo!
with traction, that's low 11s!

Damn Snakeman you gave up part of the story!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:52 PM   #7
blkrain

PART II

I found a site (Mustangworks.com) on the internet and decided to get some help there. Over there, I found out I was running too rich at 43psi of fuel with the vac hose ON (51 with vac hose off). I lowered the fuel presure, had the AC fixed at the dealership, purchased the A9L computer from Pro-M etc. All these helped return some civility to the beast, but alas with what I gained in high RPM power, I lost in low RPM drivability.

I was fast getting used to the ills of this car and soon decided I needed more power. I tried to retard my camshaft and resulted in 10 bent valves. The heads then came off the car and were treated to a host of upgrades and fixed.

Upon talking with some of the people from this site, I decided I needed more power. I traded my intake with another member of this site and bought a Holley Systemax II intake. I also through the coaching from some members of this site, decided to purchase the Anderson Ford Motorsport B-2 camshaft. After all this went on with the resurrected heads, I proceeded to annihilate the demons in this car. I started small and went big. I replaced anything I could think of that would cos the drivability issues until I hit the jackpot!!!

My car (since the heads went on) has had a VERY loud rocker-arm noise level. I figured with a lifter change I might help reduce this noise. They did no such thing, BUT, my low speed drivability issues suddenly disappeared!!! For once I was begining to enjoy my baby once more. The setback was still a track trip resulting in a 13.6 @104mph a gain, but not as much as I would want.

She stayed the same for about 6 months from that time. Unfortunately, when I went to the track after 6 or so months, she pulled a best of 13.8@102mph.

END OF PART II

NOTE: PART III WILL BE ON ANOTHER THREAD AND IS MORE INTERESTING THAN PART II. STAY TUNED.

------------------
TFS heads, Holley intake, AFM B-2 cam,
Black SN95
13.8 @105mph NA
13.2 @112mph 80hp NOS
Wet track, running on NOS setting on NA runs (pig rich and 8 deg timing)

[b]12.9 @110mph best et