MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2002, 02:10 AM   #1
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Angry Stang Crash! Story!!

Hey guys, i crashed my 85 mustang GT into a pole. I hit the front right of the car. The radiator is done for. But im going to fix it myslef!!!!! I will need a new front bumper. But the worst thing is the frame. I hit the pole at no faster then 20 mph. Thats pushing it even. I think the frame is "H"ed though. Which means that the front part is pushed back. The passenger door still opens and closes fine though. Is this possible to fix? If i bring it to a frame shop? Can anyone estimate how much the frame work alone would cost? Im only 16 and i crashed this car about 3 weeks after i started driving it. My dad's a mech. and he did alot of work on it so i feel that im obligated to fix it. It is also a real nice car it would be a huge shame to get rid of it because its not worth anything. I also thought about making the 4cly engine chassis swap. But i couldn't do it myself and i don't want to ask my dad for anymore help because he has done enough for me. Could you guys please help me?? Im going to do this, this coming summer so i will probably be posting alot for help because im doing it MYSELF because i know i can. If anyone could give me an estimit on the frame work that would be great, then i would know what i will be looking at! thanks guys, your the greatest!!!
Old 01-01-2002, 08:15 AM   #2
LittleBlueStang
Registered Member

Before you panic, take your car to a body shop and ask them to check the straightness of the frame. It may not be bent. I can't see a 20mph hit bending it and if it did, you probably have bigger concerns, such as someone before you crashing it and having the frame straightened before. If this is the case, it's easy for the frame to be re-damaged and you should unload the car/do the 4cyl swap as soon as you can.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Default yeah

I know that it wasn't crashed before, i know almost for sure. but i figure if the passenger door opens and closes, its probably not that sever because i wasn't going that fast at all! If i brought it into a frame shop would i have to remove the engine first. Or could i just remover the body panels. does anyone know a price range that i could be looking at, for the frame work alone? I just need a number to look at and ponder on.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The radiator support (front part of the frame you are talking about) is very weak. They bend all the time.

The frame shop will probably be pretty cheap. Doesn't sound like it will require much time on the rack, and they'll get it done right. I don't see any problems getting the car back together.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 04:15 PM   #5
pxcr_600
Registered Member

Unhappy ok thanks

ok dudes thanks for the help!!! I really apreciate it. Hey if i bring it to the frame shop will i have to have the engine removed or anything like that first?
Old 01-01-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
I can't see a 20mph hit bending it
well i hit a tree on the 22nd doing 20-30 kilometers and hour and it bent the frame. So 20mph is possible. it is costing me 3500 to fix it and that is without a full paint job and just getting the fronmt end repainted
the front end on my car was ripped apart but suprisingly the rad is still fine but the fan is not
Old 01-02-2002, 02:53 AM   #7
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

sorry to hear that.

my car was in bad shape for a long time, the previous owner was doing doughnuts & hit a parked semi-truck, bent the front end bad, then to top it all off, he bounced up on a curb.

I did most of the work on my car, and i can tell you, if you have the money to let an autobody shop fix it, spend the money.

Me & my dad straightened the rad support out, but we own an autobodyshop, and do framework too.

it will take a long time to fix (trust me, ive put more time into fixing my car than you would believe).
if your rad support is completly ****** you can buy just the new rad support, cut your one off your car, and get an autobodyshop to put it on properly.

Hope All Goes Well...........
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #8
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

No you will not have to remove the motor to have the unibody straightened, you can even cut off the radiator support and replace it with the motor in place. Sounds like you have a garden variety front end hit, should fix with no problems.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote