MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
daveGT
Registered Member

Question Installed sub in Mach 460? Get in here and help, please!

I know this belongs in the Audio forum, but I think I'll get a better response here. I want to add a pair of subs to my stock Mach 460.

I've done searches and I've read the installation on www.Mustangworld.com for this install. Looks pretty straightforward, but...

1. How do I splice into the rear deck speaker wires? I still want sound from the stock deck speakers. Do I cut the wire and just splice in the converter? Someone at work told me there are "vampire clips" where I don't need to cut. Huh?

2. Where's the best place for the remote lead? The fuse box looks like a pain in the @ss. Is there an exposed wire coming from the stock radio?

3. Where is the best place for the amp ground?

Thanks to all that reply.

'94 Lightning:
White, stock except 50 series Flowmasters

'99 GT (wife's):
Chrome yellow, stock with some pretty slick "flame" pinstripes!
daveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

***I have never taken out a Mach 460 stero so I'm going off the other several dozen steros I have installed myself***

1) If your going to use an amp, do not use the speaker wire that connects to the rear speakers themselves. Use the preouts in the back of the head unit. Just use basic RCA cables and run them to the amp. If you splice into the speaker wire, you will lose a lot of sound because the electricity is being split.

2) Also, on the back of your stero there should be a cable that is just hanging out there (if you don't have a stock amp). This is your remote wire. Whenever your stero turns on, this turns on your amp so that the amp is not on all the time. Typically in after market steros, this wire is blue. Might not be in the same in your case.

3) Any clean, unpainted surface on the chasis. You can slide the wire between the head of a body bolt and the chasis itself. If there is paint, just scrape some off so that you will get good clean contact.

If you have any further questions, or would like a drawing let me know and I can help you out further...
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Your stereo has 2 positive wires, use a test light to find the ignition wire. When you turn the key forward the light should come on and when you turn the key off the light should go off.

Once you have found this wire that is were you splice in your amp remote wire. Ground the amp as close to the amp as possible.

Radio shack makes a preout adapter that splices into your speaker wires. I dont think the mach 460 has pre-outs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you read the Mustangworld how-to, it answers your questions:
Ok the trick to the MACH system is that there is a “Data Cable” that delivers the signal to the speakers. It delivers the signal to the speakers like RCA outputs do on an aftermarket headunit…It will provide a much stronger and cleaner signal then tapping off of a wire lead…Its located in the back of the car…That Date Cable is located right behind the MACH rack…You need a LINE OUT CONVERTER to transmit the signal to your subs through RCA cables. What you need to do is splice into the following wires (2) black wires with white stripes and (2) black wires with green stripes w/ the white striped ones being negative…
Make sure you keep the negative (-) on the converter to the same on the data cable…if your amp doesn’t have a signal sense feature you will have to run a remote lead wire. Now I know it may sound simple but a lot of people don’t know were to run it or run it to the wrong place. The best place is under the dash to the fuse box into an accessory fuse…..
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
daveGT
Registered Member

Cyber/Dark:

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I don't think the Mach 460 has preouts, I think I'm going to have to get into the rear speaker wires. I just don't want to cut anything if I don't need to.

My "small town" Radio Shack didn't have anything like that. Just got a stupid look from the guy behind the desk. Looks like I'll have to go to the "city" (Joplin, MO - HA!) to get the line adaptor. Anyone hear of a "vampire clip?" I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I like the idea of splicing the remote lead to the head unit. Any idea what color this wire is? There's mess of them back there.

Thanks for your help.

'94 Lightning:

'99 GT (wife's):
Old 06-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
daveGT
Registered Member

BlueGT:

Yes, I've been posting "rear speaker wires" but I do mean the "data cables" (black/green and black/white) as mentioned in the MW article. I just need to know if I need to "cut" and splice the converter in-line with the existing wires (still transmitting a signal to the rear speakers), or is there some hardware where I don't need to cut any wires, but can "tap" into the "data cable."

No one around here seems to know.

Thanks.

'94 Lightning:

'99 GT (wife's):
Old 06-26-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
VeNuM
Registered Member

Cut the wires and splice in a Line Output Convertor to hookup your rca's to. I've done it 3 times on a 99, and 2 2001 Mustang and has worked great everytime. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
jj_jonathon
Trisket

the directions mustangworld has are correct for which wires to splice...you just take a really sharp knife and take off about 1/4inch of the wire's covering...match up the correct wires (should say on the line convertor as well as from mustangworld)..

remote wire i just put through a switch directly to the battery because its the easiest....i should have a fuse in the line too, but havent gotten around to that yet...

i grounded on a bolt in my trunk...its up underneath the rear speaker's panel...should be able to find one if you pull out the "carpet" that covers the spare...

its not too hard, but splice the wire's covers off takes a lot of patience and time if you arent careful....i wouldnt suggest cutting them and connecting them all together though, because they dont leave much excess wire...its all farily tense...and triplecheck the wires before you strip em.. btw...you wont be able to use wire caps (those things you screw on bare wires) because you dont have enough loose wire...so use some good electrical tape and wrap it around a few times...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote