MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #1
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Post Interviewing tips

You guys got any tips for job interviews?

I had an interview with Sherwin-Williams last week that went really well. I have one coming up with Wal-Mart next week. They are both for summer internship positions.

I think do a pretty good job talking with people, but could always use some more advice.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

1). Suit and tie. Always beter to overdress than underdress.
2). Be totally relaxed, confident (not overconfident), and smile as often as necessary.
3). Always make direct eye contact.
4). Be as honest as possible.
5). Make sure you don't stink when you go for the interview (that would hurt your chances of getting the internship).
6). Carry along an extra copy of your resume (I assume you will already have one to present if you haven't already presented one).
7). Ask sensible/relevant questions concerning your intended position and do a little research b4 hand about the company you intend to work for.
8). Don't joke around too much.
9). If you don't know the answer to a question, just say, "I DON'T KNOW." Don't try to BS your way to the answer.

There's my advice. I'm sure I forgot something. Well, take what you need and throw away all the other stuff that remains.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:07 PM   #3
GTGrl00
Stang Chic Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Looks like FoxBody pretty much covered the important stuff. Hey Fox you must be an interview king.

------------------
Yours in SPEED=======
Mandy aka GTGRL00
GTGrl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 01:20 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I've found keeping eye contact 100% of the time can intimidate some interviewers. You want to come across as a good person too. If they start looking intimidated it's okay to give them a break from the staredown for a sec. Still, try to maintain as much eye contact as you can.

Try to make your working experience seem relevant to the position.

As far as the confidence part, just KNOW that you are a good guy to have working for them and they will be lucky to land you. Just use that ego in moderation.

Be relaxed, the more relaxed you seem, the more relaxed and favorable the interview will be, it'll make you look much more professional.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 01:30 AM   #5
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

A trick to get the interviewer on your side is to acknowledge his questions... like:

Interviewer: Do you feel you have the necessary qualifications for this position?

(don't just answer the question, acknowledge it)
Answer: {b]That is a good question...[/b] I have...

That'll make him/her feel like you really understand what he is asking, and reasure him/her that you are answering the needs. It makes a big diference. I have actually won substantial contracts by doing this.
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:55 AM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Listen to what was said above. Also remember that this is your oppertunity to see if YOU want to work for them.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, ADS chip, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 11:02 AM   #7
Capri306

Hey, that's some pretty good advice up there, guys. Maybe that's why I didn't get that job at Food Town a few years back. I had a total attitude like, "what do you guys have for ME?" Hehehehehe.

Dressing up and keeping a good, smooth attitude are the most important things. Kinda like Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing, ya know? Smoooooooth.

Another vote for staying away from B.S. You'll only back yourself into an inescapable corner. Good luck!

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 12:36 PM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Initial meeting - when you shake hands... smile and say something like "How's it going bro??" Hehe. Just kidding. But that is where they will get their very first impression of you. A firm handshake and a smile, and a small informal type greeting always works for me to get them (the future boss) laid back from the get go. I've been to quite a few interviews and I find it best to just be yourself. Don't come off as though you know it all but let them know that isn't going to matter. Let them know you want to learn what they do and learn how to do it well. Let them know you are the guy/gal for the job by portraying yourself as someone who can learn quickly and work well with other people. That will make the lack of a particular experience less noticable a lot faster than just saying I can try.

And don't be ashamed to point out your best qualities no matter how insignificant.

Don't let them just ask questions while you say yes or no. Go into detail about what you can/can't (but want to learn to) do and speak openly. Eye contact is important too.

My boss that I have now is a pretty cool dude and he interviewed me. He was laid back and even sweared a few times and this is a high doller business man. That was partially because I came to him with pretty much the same attitude because they called me, I didn't call them. If you act calm and open to anything they will act the same way.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 12:47 PM   #9
btr
Registered Member

I'd add a few things.
Research the company a bit. Know why you want to work for this company (besides money).
Think of some good questions to ask them. This will show that you are interested in the company. If you are from the area, point that out.
Be prepared to answer some tough questions:
Why should we hire you?
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses? Try to give weaknesses that may be a strength in disguise. For example, one for me is that I am a perfectionist and am never satisfied unless the job is done correctly. Do not say you don't have any.

Good Luck!
btr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 02:05 PM   #10
cleangreenmachine

In addition to all of the above, remember that an interview is not supposed to be a one-sided interrogation. You're there to interview them too. When they ask you if you have any questions, don't just say "Uh, I don't think so". Ask good questions that show you are interested in the position and show that you have some knowledge of what they do and how you might fit in. Engage the interviewer and try to think of it more like a discussion rather than an interview.

About jokes, don't make a mockery out of the interview process but if you have a chance to exhibit some mild (and CLEAN) humor don't hold back. Employers are looking for someone with a personality, not just a warm body. a little humor can help break the ice and relax both parties.

And last, DO NOT ask about money. Either they will make it a point to tell you what the salary is, or it will be discussed when you are extended a job offer, a few days or weeks after the interview. You'll be a lot happier and better off if you make a decision on whether you're interested based on the merits of the job, independent of money. The key is obtaining the right type of experience to help you when you go and look for a full-time, professional position. Good experience has a value that can't be expressed in dollars.

Have confidence in yourself and good luck!

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 03-08-2001, 03:11 PM   #11
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Great stuff guys! That is the stuff I am looking for. Most of it seems common sense, but it is never just that easy when you have to do it. I will let you know how the interview goes next week.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 05:12 AM   #12
84_GT350
Registered Member

Most importantly...don't slouch in your chair and don't ever mention having sex with his wife. Interviewers HATE that! lol Seriously though....just be yourself, but in a proffessional manner. Being relaxed goes a long way with any job interview.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 05:17 PM   #13
chuck88
Registered Member

I have had 29 jobs and now i hire people. It sounds like the first post hit on all the good stuff. Now when I hire one of the most important things i look for is attitude and desire.
1 person was hired because they sat on the edge of the chair and was all fired up about the job.

Chuck88
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote