MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Default Issue with the Parts Girl

I'm getting ready to install my new 331 motor this weekend. In preparation for this, I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts for some routine items. Here's just a small part of what I had to go through to get some 'routine' parts:

I'm at the parts counter speaking with the Parts Girl (Girl):

ME: I need eight spark plugs, Autolite #3924's, copper, please.

GIRL: What's that? (she's not paying any attention, even after asking what she could do for me)

ME: I need eight spark plugs, Autolite #3924's copper, please.

GIRL: Ok, let me see if we have any in stock. (shouldn't these always be in stock?)

So the Girl goes around the corner for a moment and then...

GIRL: How many did you say you needed?

ME: Eight, please.

GIRL: Ok, here they are. (She is holding one box of four plugs).

ME: I need eight please. Do you have another box back there?

GIRL: Oh, ok, I thought you said 4 (Goes gets another box).

GIRL: Here is another box. Are you sure you want Copper? You really should get the Platinum plugs.

ME: The copper's are just fine.

GIRL: Well the platinums are better. They are better for performance and make ALOT more horsepower.

ME: That's fine, but I just want the Copper's.

GIRL: Ok, but what kind of car are these for?

ME: (me hesitating) ...Well, it's for a Mustang, but it wont match up to what's in your computer because it has aftermarket heads.

GIRL: That doesn't matter! Let me look them up for you and make sure you're getting the right plugs.

ME: Really, you don't have to. I just need to purchase these and get back to work.

GIRL: Well, fine, but they probably wont fit.

ME: Ok, thanks for your help.

I love dealing with these people!

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:02 PM   #2
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Should've told her they were for a Festiva.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by 89 Cobra LX
Should've told her they were for a Festiva.
With a V8, thats one quick Festiva.......

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #4
mustanggt350
Registered Member

Women like that give us a bad name!! Of course I have bumped into a dumb male auto parts work in my day too!!

At least she finally let you buy the parts and walk away, I thought maybe she was going to try and hold your hand across the street. LOL

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

mustanggt350 - yeah, I've had similar issues with male auto parts worker's too.

I just find it funny when you go into a store, ask for a specific part and they act like they know soooo much more than you do. Just give me my stupid parts already!

E

A V8 Festiva...that would be scary!

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:16 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Parts people

All too typical story but then, I'm sure the parts people have their own 'dumb customer stories' too. In fact, I know they do, I've seen them.

I understand that 'looking it up' is what the parts people are trained to do and I have no problem with that concept, but when a customer asks for a part by brand name and part number they should have sense enough to trust that he/she knows what they are doing.

Pushing the platinums is probably just a standard 'upselling' technique that they are also instructed to do. No problem - as long as they know when to stop pushing.

I find that when I have to buy parts at the Ford dealer (which I avoid due to the obscene prices) they are a lot more knowledgable and respect you enought not to push anything and accept that if you have a PN, you already have 'looked it up' and know what you need.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:49 PM   #7
The Deuce
Registered Member

That's bad man. The way I figure it, about half the people in any given parts store know what they are doing. This is the same for most work environments. When I worked at Home Depot, guys who came in looking for something specific didn't get sold anything else. That was pretty much the rule. People who just described what they wanted always got sold up. I think that was a pretty good rule.

I do have a question about the plugs. I have never noticed a power gain in the beginning from better plugs. Is this just because my cars lag? Or is the advantage of better plugs, longer plug life?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Spark Plug differences

Deuce:

You wrote:

I do have a question about the plugs. I have never noticed a power gain in the beginning from better plugs. Is this just because my cars lag? Or is the advantage of better plugs, longer plug life?

The copper-core plugs are all most cars really need.

Many tests have proven that there is little to no gain in HP from expensive plugs . Platinum plugs simply extend the plug life but offer no better performance.

For a car that makes changing plugs a nightmare due to inaccessability or for the lazy, platinum plugs may be a good idea. Otherwise, stick with a stock plug for a low price. Gap it right, install it and be happy.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

Thanks Mr 5.0.

That is what I was thinking, and now I know.

Old 06-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Next time tell them the spark plugs are for your diesel Rabbit, and watch her try to find a listing.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:12 PM   #11
mustanggt350
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Next time tell them the spark plugs are for your diesel Rabbit, and watch her try to find a listing.

Take care,
-Chris
That's just cruel and unusual punishment!! LOL

Shelby

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:25 PM   #12
PKRWUD

Oh, but it works!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:56 PM   #13
The Deuce
Registered Member

I can confuse them enough asking for parts for my 240. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find parts for that car.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #14
WyldeBLS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Take care,
-Chris
LMFAO! Now thats a damn good one. I will try that one next time im in Pep Boys and i get a ******* behind the counter.
WyldeBLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:02 PM   #15
cad614

Talking deja vu?

After laughing at this thread, I remembered it was time to change out my plugs. When I got to the parts store I expected the guy there to at least be slightly more knowledgeable than the girl, but here's my transaction:

ME: "I need eight autolite 764 spark plugs, please."

HIM: "Ummm, ok. What year?"

ME: (I decide it's best to let him have his routine, hoping that will get me out of there faster) "'95, Ford, Mustang GT"

HIM: "What engine?"

ME: "302"

HIM: "V6?"

ME: "V8" (with a really discusted look on my face by this point)

HIM: "All I show here are the platinums, would that be ok?"

ME: "I'd prefer the copper ones, mind checking to see if you have any?"

HIM: (after finding the box directly behind the counter) "Do these look right?"

ME: "That's them."

HIM: "So, just four or do you need six?"

ME: "Eight"

Then he checked me out and I left wondering how I ever thought that those guys knew anything about cars.

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:04 PM   #16
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

hahaha... I would of freaked out. lol And don't joke about the V8 Festiva. I seen one with a motor in the front and the back! =) So it was a V8! I took a picture but I may of lost it when I formated it while back I'll check and ask around if anyone has the pics. Scary moment in the car world. lol

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:14 AM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Parts people

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
All too typical story but then, I'm sure the parts people have their own 'dumb customer stories' too. In fact, I know they do, I've seen them.

I understand that 'looking it up' is what the parts people are trained to do and I have no problem with that concept, but when a customer asks for a part by brand name and part number they should have sense enough to trust that he/she knows what they are doing.

Pushing the platinums is probably just a standard 'upselling' technique that they are also instructed to do. No problem - as long as they know when to stop pushing.

Oh geez do we ever!!!!!!!!

I love when women come up to the parts counter to ask for a headlight bulb...I mean, I know how difficult it is to use the ******* book...NOT! In fact, we even have a little computer that asks for year, make, model, and what type of bulb you need (headlight, flasher, etc) and they STILL come up to the counter to waste my time...same thing with oil filters and freekin washer blades. Honestly, I think this is 1/2 ignorance, and 1/2 pure, unadulterated LAZINESS.

The stupidity of my fellow parts coworkers is disheartening too. Of course, I don't know everything about cars, and I was new to the store as well, but I knew 90% about what WE carried. The other day, one of the guys asked me what a wheel cylinder was...then later asked if drum brakes took pads or shoes...

Whenever someone that comes in seems to know what they are doing, and has a part number upon entering the store, I take their word for it. I have to look up the part anyways to check inventory, so at that point I cross reference the numbers to make sure they have the right part, and they are also free to open the box and check it out. If I come up with 2 different numbers, I will either check with one of the veteran employees, or as Mr 5.0 said, call up the Ford dealer. Worst case scenario, the customer is assured that all returns and exchanges are A-ok as long as they have the receipt

Pep Boyz does not push any type of part, if they ask what the best is, I will usually tell them the most expensive. Although this is not always true, people don't seem to believe me when I suggest something that is not extravagant costwise Sometimes you just have to tell people what they want to hear, or they will pester the **** outta you until they get the answer they're looking for...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:17 AM   #18
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
hahaha... I would of freaked out. lol And don't joke about the V8 Festiva. I seen one with a motor in the front and the back! =) So it was a V8! I took a picture but I may of lost it when I formated it while back I'll check and ask around if anyone has the pics. Scary moment in the car world. lol

§am.
I've seen a Hyundai Elantra with 2 engines as well, and it was a street car. Pretty damn quick too!! A little on the freaky side though I remember it being in Supa Street or Turbo magazine...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 10:51 AM   #19
Capri306

This is funny to me too, as I'm a parts sales manager. I've seen some pretty dumb things on BOTH sides of the counter. Best one to date was some hillbilly coming in with a power steering pump (with hoses CUT and brackets still ATTACHED) dripping fluid all over my floor (you wanna pizz off a manager, THAT'S how to do it); he slammed it on the counter, and said, "I want you to check my alternator." I just looked at him and said nothing for about 10 seconds, then explained to him I'd be glad to as soon as he took his p/s pump off the counter and brought me his alternator.

So yes, it goes both ways. I'd say if I had to break it down to percentages, knowledgeable customers make up about 5%, people who could at least change their own oil, headlights, and mebbe do a tune-up make up about 30%, people who don't have a clue but at least come in to get some genuine advice or to find out what they can do about a problem are about 40%. The remaining 25% are useless morons who should NOT EVEN BE DRIVING A MOTOR VEHICLE.

Know what the real biz-atch about being a parts guy at a major retailer? You are NEVER RIGHT. I'm looking into another job right now to get me through college. I've been there for 4 years now. This retail stuff is for the birds.

Mustangbelle: I'll have to call your store and ask for a few things. You know, piston rings for my 1987 Madza RX7, a radiator for my 1969 Volkswagen Beetle.....yeah, you've heard 'em all.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:33 AM   #20
Tod
Registered Member

belle, where do you work?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: