View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 07:14 AM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Parts people

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
All too typical story but then, I'm sure the parts people have their own 'dumb customer stories' too. In fact, I know they do, I've seen them.

I understand that 'looking it up' is what the parts people are trained to do and I have no problem with that concept, but when a customer asks for a part by brand name and part number they should have sense enough to trust that he/she knows what they are doing.

Pushing the platinums is probably just a standard 'upselling' technique that they are also instructed to do. No problem - as long as they know when to stop pushing.

Oh geez do we ever!!!!!!!!

I love when women come up to the parts counter to ask for a headlight bulb...I mean, I know how difficult it is to use the ******* book...NOT! In fact, we even have a little computer that asks for year, make, model, and what type of bulb you need (headlight, flasher, etc) and they STILL come up to the counter to waste my time...same thing with oil filters and freekin washer blades. Honestly, I think this is 1/2 ignorance, and 1/2 pure, unadulterated LAZINESS.

The stupidity of my fellow parts coworkers is disheartening too. Of course, I don't know everything about cars, and I was new to the store as well, but I knew 90% about what WE carried. The other day, one of the guys asked me what a wheel cylinder was...then later asked if drum brakes took pads or shoes...

Whenever someone that comes in seems to know what they are doing, and has a part number upon entering the store, I take their word for it. I have to look up the part anyways to check inventory, so at that point I cross reference the numbers to make sure they have the right part, and they are also free to open the box and check it out. If I come up with 2 different numbers, I will either check with one of the veteran employees, or as Mr 5.0 said, call up the Ford dealer. Worst case scenario, the customer is assured that all returns and exchanges are A-ok as long as they have the receipt

Pep Boyz does not push any type of part, if they ask what the best is, I will usually tell them the most expensive. Although this is not always true, people don't seem to believe me when I suggest something that is not extravagant costwise Sometimes you just have to tell people what they want to hear, or they will pester the **** outta you until they get the answer they're looking for...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote