View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002, 10:51 AM   #19
Capri306

This is funny to me too, as I'm a parts sales manager. I've seen some pretty dumb things on BOTH sides of the counter. Best one to date was some hillbilly coming in with a power steering pump (with hoses CUT and brackets still ATTACHED) dripping fluid all over my floor (you wanna pizz off a manager, THAT'S how to do it); he slammed it on the counter, and said, "I want you to check my alternator." I just looked at him and said nothing for about 10 seconds, then explained to him I'd be glad to as soon as he took his p/s pump off the counter and brought me his alternator.

So yes, it goes both ways. I'd say if I had to break it down to percentages, knowledgeable customers make up about 5%, people who could at least change their own oil, headlights, and mebbe do a tune-up make up about 30%, people who don't have a clue but at least come in to get some genuine advice or to find out what they can do about a problem are about 40%. The remaining 25% are useless morons who should NOT EVEN BE DRIVING A MOTOR VEHICLE.

Know what the real biz-atch about being a parts guy at a major retailer? You are NEVER RIGHT. I'm looking into another job right now to get me through college. I've been there for 4 years now. This retail stuff is for the birds.

Mustangbelle: I'll have to call your store and ask for a few things. You know, piston rings for my 1987 Madza RX7, a radiator for my 1969 Volkswagen Beetle.....yeah, you've heard 'em all.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote