View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default Re: It's finally happening

Sure can. actually this is the second one I've done. The first was for my youngest son back some years ago. Basically here's what you need. Oil pan for a Fox body: Canton, Moroso and probably a couple of other companies make them for a couple hundred bux. I used a Moroso the last time, Canton this time. Personally, the Canton would be my choice if I had to do the first one over again.
Motor mounts. Don't buy the rediculously expensive "conversion" mounts. Add a 3/4" spacer to a set of small block mounts. They go between the block and the mounts. Stock 351C exhaust manifolds will work but you'll need to change out the steering shaft with one like Flaming River as the rubber biscuit on the stock one will rub on the exhaust manifolds. You can do custom headers but it costs a bit more. I paid $559 for mine through CPR. Hedman makes them for about $400 and Hooker has some as well. I used a stock C-6 auto last time and a Tremec TKO 600 this time.The driveshaft had to be shortened the last time but I'm not sure if it was the transmission length or the engine but I think the block is the same dimensionally as a 302 (mounting points)
FYI, a 351C is a small block so transmissions, bellhousings etc from a 5.0 work fine. I did have to get a 5.0 flywheel because the stock cleveland flywheel is larger and the bellhousing to fit the Tremec TKO will only fit the 157 tooth flywheel. (starter alignment issues)
The neatest thing about this swap is the sound it makes. I truly like the sound a healthy five-oh makes but let's face it . . you heard one, you've heard em all. Any mustang owner worth spit can instantly tell a five litre rev up without ever seeing the thing. The sound is unique in the hot rod world. Stomp a foot full of Cleveland and anyone hearing it first are usually surprised when they see what made the noise. Not saying it's better or worse, just wildly different. This usually gets me accusations of bowtie transplants and such.
Like I said before, why i did it tis time was simple. I had two of them and needed to clear out some junk. Might as well build one good one out of the pair. Weight wise, a Cleveland is about 100 pounds heavier than a 5.0. I figure with the tubular K-member, the aluminum intake and lighter headers, I've saved the 100 pounds so handling should be close to normal if there is such a thing. Anyway, I can ramble on for hours like this but I'll shut up now. By the way. . .anyone who tells you that you can't get bucketloads of torque out of a set of 4 bbl heads (as opposed to the 2 bbl versions) never drove one! My last venture would pull from 40 to 80 mph in 4 seconds. (give or take a half second) That was in third gear in the C6. 3:27 gears and standard T/C.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote