MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2001, 01:03 AM   #1
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Post Japaneese spec engine...

How many times have you heard a ricer talk about swapping his engine for a "better" Japaneese spec engine...

I've just been informed of something pretty nifty to put back in there faces. The reason why the Japaneese spec engines (or japaneese engines) generate more HP is the octane level commonly sold in Japan is grade 110!!! So, the car's computer takes that in account and generates a different fuel map for more HP. The engine you ask? Identical in NorthAmerica to Japan.

Now keep in mind, I am a Ford guy with limited engine knowledge talking about Import engines... I trust my information source, after all he is an Acura Integra driver.

Could this be true? Makes sense to me!

------------------
Lizard King, Bone Stock; 13.69 at 101MPH
Extreme Burnout
2000GT VS LS1
Quartermile run
2000GT vs LX Stang

Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:38 AM   #2
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

It was my understanding that and engine could only take advantage of a certain level of ocatane before it stopped making a difference (would differ between engines of course) ...anyone say different??

I hear ricer friends talk about "Japan Spec" engines all the time, there has to be a difference.

------------------
89 5.0 GT White w/Blue Racing Stripes
K&N, 73mm Mass Air, Ported and Polished Stock Heads, E303 Cam, MAC equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Mufflers, 3.73's Sway Bars, Strut Tower Brace, Subframe Connectors, Eibach Springs, Koni Adjustables/Reds, Pony 5 Stars, 1000 Watt JL Audio System, No P/S , No Smog Pump
StreetRacin89Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:40 AM   #3
GiJoe
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hey Lizard King, and all the V8 guys....I just wanted to let you know that there is stuff in the works over at CC.com, just give us a bit of time!

Thanks,
Adam
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:46 AM   #4
camaroboy
Registered Member

Lizard, i think your wrong! Japanease spec engines have been created using much stricter tolerences. This means that those engines are somewhat "blueprinted". They are also balanced much better and can rev alot higher. Basically, it's a better, yet way more expensive way to get another 35-45 HP in a civic. But these guys usually swap them with plans of turbo'ing it or NOS'ing the hell out of them.

------------------
'81 Z-28, 383 Stroker, 11.5:1, Dart Sportsman Angle Plug heads, Weiand Team G, Holley 750 dbl pump, Comp XE-284H, TCI glide w/ 3500 stall, 4:10 posi, B&M Megashifter, MT Indy Profile S/S, and nothin left for the gas tank
camaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:22 PM   #5
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

If I am not mistaken, the commonly called "ZC" motors are built with all forged internals like the Type-R motors. Which allows someone to run a decent amount of boost and/or nitro whitout an expensive rebuild.

Apparently, in Japan, motors have to pass extremely strict emissions after aroun 60000Km and fail them. It is cheaper to replace a motor then a car and that is why there is a very hot maket for ZC motors right now.

I am not 100% sure about this info but there is plenty of websites for more info about this.

[This message has been edited by LT1 Z28 (edited 05-04-2001).]
LT1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:27 PM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Uhmm.....it's Japanese.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:41 PM   #7
xspeed02
Registered Member

I heard that the only reason the Japanese Spec cars are faster is because they don't have strict emissions laws like the US...

------------------
Team Xspeed Leader/Co-Founder
1990 Black Mustang GT 5spd
Current Mods: 2 1/2 Offroad H-Pipe, Borla Cat-Back Exhaust, 91-93 5 Star Pony Wheels, K&N Filter, Free Mods, Pioneer Headunit, MB Quartz Speakers, Orion Xtreme 300 Amp, 2 JL Audio W0's, 130 Amp Alternator, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Future Mods: Engine rebuild with Trickflow Heads, GT-40 Intake, Custom Ground Cam, and 14lb ATI Procharger!
AIM=xspeed02

xspeed02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 01:34 PM   #8
PGkelly
Registered Member

yeah, japan spec engines make more power...until they hit the 280hp limit the japanese gov't slapped on all production cars!

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:34 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The "JDM" NA engines usually have much higher compression because they can run on higher octane. I'm sure there are some other differences, but buying a NA "JDM" engine then expecting to run forced induction on US pump gas is a really bad idea.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 05-04-2001).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 06:26 PM   #10
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

Heu... yeah.... right... that's what I meant... Japanese....

DOOH!
LT1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 12:28 PM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Well, Lizard King, your friend does not know what he is talking about. 97snakedriver has been the closest in his explanation about the difference of Japanese spec engines. It really depends on the car and the engine.

For example, the Japanese spec Silvia(240SX in the US and Canada) was available with a couple of engines that are more powerful than the truck derived KA24DE. These engines(CA18DET, SR20DET) are both factory turbo charged. The CA18DET is a 1.8 liter dohc turbo motor that makes 180hp in stock form. The SR20DET is a 2.0 liter dohc turbo motor that makes from 220 to 250hp in stock form, depending on year of the engine. This motor(sr20det) will also go into FWD sentras with slight modification(and of course a fwd tranny).

As far as the "280hp limit" goes, that is the max that the car can be rated although several cars(4th gen TT Supra, 3000GT VR4[called GTO in Japan], Skyline GTR's and V-spec, TT 300ZX, Lancer EVO, STi WRX, NSX Type S-Zero) make more than 280hp.

Any other questions about Japanese cars? I will be glad to answer.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 12:48 PM   #12
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Thanks for the info, Inferno (i was looking for your post)

Questions (if you are not sure let me know):
1) Octane level, is it much higher, and is this why some engines are running more HP than the American ones?
2) If we compare for example an Integra GSR or Type R from Japan and Here... are we talking about the same engine with different setup (chips...)?
3) My buddy is talking about putting a Japaneese spec engine in his Eclipse GST (blew the turbo, which in turn destroyed the engine), which one would be best for his setup (needs turbo and engine)?

I told him you should go with a 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra, but he doesn't like the idea ... just kidding!
Old 05-05-2001, 03:10 PM   #13
Try Me
Registered Member

As far as i know, octane levels in fuels are standard throught the world. Octane is simply an additive, that lenthens the burn and lowers the temperature of the flame within the combustion chamber - why you have to run higher octane in higher compression engines i.e. under boost.

The difference between Japanese models and american models of specific types, well i haven't got a clue why we get the shitty low-horesepower ones
It's my belief we are improperly informed on this issue. After all, who else but north americans crave tire melting power the way we do? We're the perfect market ofr cars like that. Maybe these "Frankensteinish 400HP Type R's" are prototypes, not production cars.

Sorry to hear about Joey's car man, that's sucks guy

Oh, and as far as governments regulating maximum power to be produced by auto manufacturer's - that's f*cking bullsh*t
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 03:18 PM   #14
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard King:
Thanks for the info, Inferno (i was looking for your post)

Questions (if you are not sure let me know):
1) Octane level, is it much higher, and is this why some engines are running more HP than the American ones?
2) If we compare for example an Integra GSR or Type R from Japan and Here... are we talking about the same engine with different setup (chips...)?
3) My buddy is talking about putting a Japaneese spec engine in his Eclipse GST (blew the turbo, which in turn destroyed the engine), which one would be best for his setup (needs turbo and engine)?

I told him you should go with a 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra, but he doesn't like the idea ... just kidding!
1. 110 Octane gas is available in Japan, but that isn't the only reason why the cars are better. Take for example, the WRX. We finally get it in North America, but we don't get the variable valve timing, we get a slightly smaller turbo and a less aggressive ecu. We also get one more cat. Really it all depends on the car.

2. The Japanese spec Honda Integra Type R is underrated(as is the US spec). The US spec makes a little more than the 195 that it is rated at and the Jap spec makes more still. The two differences between the two in terms of making power is that the Japanese version has about a half point higher compression and the ecu is more aggressive because of the higher octane gas available in Japan. Even running on US gas, the Japanese ITR will be faster because of the higher compression(duh ).

3. I would suggest he try to locate an engine from a Lancer EVO III and get a front mount intercooler(if he doesn't have one already). They have a bigger turbo, better intake manifold, bigger injectors and throttle body. They also have lower compression(8.5:1) which is better for higher boost situations. The EVO IV to current EVO's engines won't work as they are on the opposite side of the car(although they are the same basic engine). Are you sure the engine is blown? I know a couple of people who have seized turbos and the engines have been fine....just needed a new turbo...as a matter of fact, one of my friends is getting an 18G set-up for his GS-T because he seized his turbo.

Anymore questions???

------------------

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.

Old 05-05-2001, 04:05 PM   #15
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Thanks Inferno. I'll give him the info. And yes the engine is toast... somthing about the third piston chamber... it was fine until the turbo ran it's **** in there.

Who knows man... I used to have a Talon TSI AWD, and all i know is my car spent a lot of times in the garage under waranty work!!
Old 05-05-2001, 04:22 PM   #16
13sec95vert
Registered Member

ahhh who cares, the new svt ford focus will kick all thier asses ha ha ha

------------------
1995 gt convertible:
3.55 gears, underdrive pulleys, cobra intake , fenderwell cold air, 65mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, off-road h pipe, borla cat back, custom diablo chip, 155lph fuel pump lentech aode street terminator w/ 10" converter stalls at 2800 rpms, yokohama a520(drag radials) 275s
13sec95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 03:04 AM   #17
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 13sec95vert:
ahhh who cares, the new svt ford focus will kick all thier asses ha ha ha

------------------

84 Toyota Supra