View Single Post
Old 05-05-2001, 03:18 PM   #14
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard King:
Thanks for the info, Inferno (i was looking for your post)

Questions (if you are not sure let me know):
1) Octane level, is it much higher, and is this why some engines are running more HP than the American ones?
2) If we compare for example an Integra GSR or Type R from Japan and Here... are we talking about the same engine with different setup (chips...)?
3) My buddy is talking about putting a Japaneese spec engine in his Eclipse GST (blew the turbo, which in turn destroyed the engine), which one would be best for his setup (needs turbo and engine)?

I told him you should go with a 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra, but he doesn't like the idea ... just kidding!
1. 110 Octane gas is available in Japan, but that isn't the only reason why the cars are better. Take for example, the WRX. We finally get it in North America, but we don't get the variable valve timing, we get a slightly smaller turbo and a less aggressive ecu. We also get one more cat. Really it all depends on the car.

2. The Japanese spec Honda Integra Type R is underrated(as is the US spec). The US spec makes a little more than the 195 that it is rated at and the Jap spec makes more still. The two differences between the two in terms of making power is that the Japanese version has about a half point higher compression and the ecu is more aggressive because of the higher octane gas available in Japan. Even running on US gas, the Japanese ITR will be faster because of the higher compression(duh ).

3. I would suggest he try to locate an engine from a Lancer EVO III and get a front mount intercooler(if he doesn't have one already). They have a bigger turbo, better intake manifold, bigger injectors and throttle body. They also have lower compression(8.5:1) which is better for higher boost situations. The EVO IV to current EVO's engines won't work as they are on the opposite side of the car(although they are the same basic engine). Are you sure the engine is blown? I know a couple of people who have seized turbos and the engines have been fine....just needed a new turbo...as a matter of fact, one of my friends is getting an 18G set-up for his GS-T because he seized his turbo.

Anymore questions???

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote