MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2003, 06:17 AM   #1
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default horrible luck, gets worse

I am going to post two pictures.....for you guys to live and learn by for two reasons.
The first is, no matter how good of a driver we are......we get reminded how not so good we are every now and then. MY job requires me to run high speeds with many obstacles and heavy traffic at times. I have been through high speed driving courses and "passed" with a's.
The second is...and in my case more relevant...the love for our cars can get us hurt.....or hurt your car even more as in the following case.
MY car has been my pride and joy since the day I bought it back in 1995. Lots of money, lots of sweat, and a whole lot of wrench throwing got it to the pic in the signature. Tonight I was taking it home after only a few hours of driving it to a local town for dinner with some buddies and then home. AS I rounded a corner.....I caught with my eyes a black dog sitting in the center lane. I know not to swerve to miss animals...I tell people that almost daily...but this is my baby.....my pride.....my car with an ornamental bumper and lots of fiberglass on the front......I thought I could miss it.....anyway....I think I missed the dog, but ended up on in the opposite side ditch and hit a culvert - it launched me in the air maybe only a few feet, but a few too many....missed the 4ft oak by 4 feet. The damage in the pic looks minimal, but the lines on the whole left side of the car are off now, including even the trunck. I am worried now I may have bent the frame.

After it was finally towed to the place that painted the gorgeous paint, i was on my way home in my very nice, but replaceable grand cherokee......still thinking about my car....a deer runs out in front of me and I cream it....more like it ran into me actually....it's blood was everywhere, my hood flew up....pulled the tranny lines loose and the coolant lines too. pushed the radiator almost into the motor...and the strange thing.....no air bag.....y?

I really hope this very, very bad luck of mine can help some of you out ...and realize.....it can happen....sometimes...twice in a matter of hours.

I only posted 2 pics...have more, wanted to post these so you all did not think I was b@#$ SH#$ing you.

by the way, I was only doing about 45 when I tried to miss the dog. Old brake systems...possibly partially to blame....but I should have hit the dog
Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp1.jpg (40.5 KB, 64 views)

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:25 AM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default and the jeep

the deer, hit right in the middle of the radiator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp2.jpg (18.1 KB, 58 views)

Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Oh man, that sucks.

I hope the frame checks out ok, and a speedy recovery to both cars

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
RBatson
Registered Member

Thats one stroke of bad luck.. I probably would have tried to miss the dog too. I hope it isn't too hard to repair.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default maybe ok

talked to my body guys today...they looked it over, but have not put it on their machine yet...so they r not sure, but they r leaning towards thinking the frame is ok. If that is the case....a little paint..., lot's of fiberglass and a fender, possibly suspension..and maybe exhaust and I will be back on the road.
Will not know until monday or tuesday for sure, but at least they put it inside the shop, I hated people being able to drive by it and stare.
Ryan
Oh, and the wheels are junk too. at least the front left one...hated the wheels anyhow....wonder if I can get them to believe that they might be all bent now?

Old 09-20-2003, 03:29 AM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: maybe ok

Quote:
Originally posted by rwhite65
wonder if I can get them to believe that they might be all bent now?
If that means you're turning a claim into the insurance co. you better be very careful, because most insurance companies total vehicles at about 80% of low blue book ... to you its your baby ... to the insurance company its just an old mustang that has a low book value, not to mention you're not likely to get paid for any aftermarket parts unless you have them listed on your policy ... you have a couple hours set up and couple hrs pull time on the frame ... around here thats at $42.00 an hour .... replace the lower valance panel ...can't really tell from the pic but maybe replace the bumper ? couple hours repair on the left fender ... R&I headlight R&I the badges refinish time on the fender and the lower valance panel ... careful what you turn in or you'll end up with a salvage title on your baby
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #7
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default ins questions....wish I knew

the car is insured as an antique....per my ins agents advice. It was apraised and I think I was given a fair value, considering all the custom suspension and other mods it has.
This coming week will.. let us know, i guess.....i am hoping for a good week.
Ryan

Old 09-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #8
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: ins questions....wish I knew

Quote:
the car is insured as an antique....per my ins agents advice.
Hang on to your agent, he apparently knows his business. You'd be amazed how often people don't do what you did and end up with a totalled car from a simple fender bender.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:46 AM   #9
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Re: Re: ins questions....wish I knew

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin
Hang on to your agent, he apparently knows his business. You'd be amazed how often people don't do what you did and end up with a totalled car from a simple fender bender.

Tell me about it, before I rolled my stang, they totaled it for a minor fender bender. Only $1500 in damage, not including paint.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #10
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Wow that reminds me of that movie "Final Destination". Who did you piss off to have this done to you? Glad to hear your ok though all of this. On a lighter side, you didn't total the stang Keep us updated on the condition of the pony
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #11
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default no news yet

but it was a weekend, so I am waiting to see if they call me today. They thought the "adjuster" would get a chance to see them both today, but they said it may not be til tues....depending on how busy they are I guess.
willl let you know what happens as soon as I get word.
Ryan

Old 09-23-2003, 09:23 PM   #12
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default update

The adjuster saw the car, wrote an estimate...and sent it to my house. I do not know the dollar amount, but he said it was an open figure, he knew there may be more damged things once the car is up in the air, just have the body man let him know.

They did not even bat an eyelash when I said I wanted an original ford fender on it..."no problem". The only thing I kinda screwed myself on, was the wheels. When I bought the car, it had ENKI rims on it that it has in the picture....I have always liked them, but their back spacing is incorret and they are only 14 inch rims...and I never could get one of the rear ones perfectly balanced. Basically they were all show, very little go. They will pay me for the cost of a new wheel, even if it is more expensive....but now I need to buy a set of wheels for it. Atleast now the wheels will fit the wheel well properly.....I like the Torque thrust II's. I even like the D's too.

Any opinions on what wheel to put on it?
Ryan

Old 09-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default duh

ok, I just looked at my picture and it does not show the wheels. The pics that show the rims are in the user rides section. They are basically an outlaw look alike, that ENKI apparently does not make anymore, atleast I have not been able to find them if they do.

I should ad, they think the frame is fine. They said I may have been just a little over reacting. go figure.
Ryan

Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 AM   #14
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Default Re: update

Quote:
The adjuster saw the car, wrote an estimate...and sent it to my house. I do not know the dollar amount, but he said it was an open figure, he knew there may be more damged things once the car is up in the air, just have the body man let him know.

They did not even bat an eyelash when I said I wanted an original ford fender on it..."no problem". The only thing I kinda screwed myself on, was the wheels. When I bought the car, it had ENKI rims on it that it has in the picture....I have always liked them, but their back spacing is incorret and they are only 14 inch rims...and I never could get one of the rear ones perfectly balanced. Basically they were all show, very little go. They will pay me for the cost of a new wheel, even if it is more expensive....but now I need to buy a set of wheels for it. Atleast now the wheels will fit the wheel well properly.....I like the Torque thrust II's. I even like the D's too.

Any opinions on what wheel to put on it?
Ryan
Damn man, that is horriable!! Talk about some bad luck. I would of went home and cried myself to sleep for a week. Man it was just your day to take out an animal. As for wheels though, I'd go for those Shelby Rims... can't really remember there name. They put them on the Eleanor.

-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote