MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Calling Jester and all Carb guru's

Ok, boys, here is the deal. I have the new set-up below, being fed by a Holley 600, mechanical fuel pump, and a Mallory unilite. A tune-up is not an issue, has brand new autolite plugs gapped to .045.

The car has a stumble right off idle, almost like it is cold, but the car is warmed up plenty. Right after the stumble, it takes right off. Full throttle, still a tiny bit of a stumble, then takes right off again.

This stumble had me thinking I screwed up the trans filter when I put a new one in. I thought something was going on my rather fresh aod. After driving it today, I noticed it does it in OD, or third, when the gear first goes in. It feels like the engine is stumbling under the load, making me think I had a slight vibration. The transmission is adjusted per specs, and I really don’t think it is it. The shifts under part open throttle are great, just not under little to no throttle (and only for the first sec or two). It engages, but there is a slight vibration, or what I believe to be a stumble in the engine.

So, Jester, u suggested the squirters a while back....ummm...where are those? I should also tell everyone the carb started leaking after the swap and I blew the power valve out. I now have the power valve safety check installed and rebuilt the carb (with a buddy). I am not sure what carb adjustments to go to from here. I have adjusted the floats, which may have helped, I am about to go for a spin. The idle is set at 950 when the car is warmed up.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: Calling Jester and all Carb guru's

Put bigger "squirters" in her. What size are we now? I'm GUESSING 32, so I'd go 34's to start.

Squirters are on the very front and back of the carb. Theay actually "squirt" fuel into the carb when the accelerator pump is activated. Accelerator pump shoot RIGHT through them. MAKE SURE you have good gaskets on top and bottom of them!

Bottom line, whatever size you have in there, (PROLLY different, front to back) Go UP +2.

Try it and let us know...

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

u think I need to replace both the front and the back ones Jester? or just the fronts?
Ryan

Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
tmoss
Registered Member

the stumble could be a lean or rich stumble. Besides the squirters, you have a selection of accelerator pump cams that can be used with different ramp rates. Sometimes the bowl bleeds need to be opened up slightly. I cured a lean stumble by going to a 50cc pump shot and a slower ramp on the pump cam and a slightly larger squirter in my last car.

Jason Fletcher's carb web site has a lot of good info in it - check that out too.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

this may sound trivial, but check all the vacuum lines, carb gaskets, and carb bolt downs. If any screws came loose on the carb body it might do what you are describing. I speak from experience on this.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Well, I will replace the carb base gasket to be sure and check the bolts. I am fairly confident the vacuum lines are all good. After reading all those carb articles, I am leaning towards the idle adjustment or squirters.

But here comes the ribbing, why can I not find them on summit racing or jegs? I have looked under different names, and I am not finding what I thought they would look like.
thanks guys,
Ryan

Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Here ya go bro:

"Discharge Nozzles"

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

thanks Jester, I wondered if that was not them, but was not for sure.....now changing them....
Ryan