MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2002, 07:00 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Default Just installed exaust system on my 93...

...and it sounds like crap! When I bought the car it had stock headers, the stock H-pipe, and some Thrush glass packs welded in place of the stock muffs. The thing was growing a huge exhaust leak where the header and H-pipe connect so I replaced it. I got a set of Hedman shorties, and a off road H-pipe. Now the thing sounds like a caprice classic from the ghetto with chrome tips. Now I need to buy a cat back because of the nasty sound this thing makes.
Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:31 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Double check where the pipe meet. You might have a small exhaust leak when you put everything back together. I let my brother install one muffler while I was doing the other (to save time) and I didn't double check his side. He didn't have the pipe on the collector all the way. So I had to jack the car back up and redo it myself.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:10 AM   #3
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default I don't know what you expected with glass-packs.

A good cat-back system will have that thing sounding good. Anything's better than what you've got on there now!!!
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

It needs something. It dosn't even sound like a mustang. It's hard to explain... it makes more of a poping sound when i hit the gas, not a rumble. Kind of like a old truck with glass packs and 1 3/4" pipes.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:34 AM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww Time for ____! (insert brand of preference!)
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #6
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default eheh....

Glasspacks suck.. they make any car sound like a hillbilly truck.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Hmmmm......interesting....

I have glasspacks on my car--Thrush glasspacks. They were cheap ($15 each) from Summit. I have Hedman full-length headers and 2.5" pipe. My car sounds pretty good actually. And I'm not one of those "the louder it is, the cooler it is" kinda kid, at all.

I know what you're saying about the hillbilly pickup with glasspacks, but that's usually because they put on either too small or too big of pipe. If you get the right size on there, it can sound great. My car at idle is not very loud, but it has a fairly rough idle (thanks to my .496/.520 cam). Even when I have that thing at WOT it's not obnoxiously loud. It'd loud, but not too loud. It has a very deep, very throaty sound. It wasn't too bad driving 100 miles at 60-65. The sound didn't get annoying, it sounded pretty good, actually.

I've heard some cars with glasspacks that sound horrible. Mainly because they are not the least bit of a high performance engine and they have those mufflers.

I'll have to get some video of my car posted up on the site and let you guys hear my exhaust. I'm willing to bet just about every one of you would think it's bad ***.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote