MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Just thought I'd mention it...

I just noticed that everyone's post count is gone. So for all u post hoes(me as a reformed one) it does nothing to your count.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 08-28-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

The post count is still there you just have to look in your profile for it. I kinda liked it because it kinda tells who has more experience here for when new people come thinking they know everything when they really dont. But it isnt my decision and im not leaving Just my 2 cents

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
Old 08-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by MidNiteBlu 5.0
The post count is still there you just have to look in your profile for it. I kinda liked it because it kinda tells who has more experience here for when new people come thinking they know everything when they really dont. But it isnt my decision and im not leaving Just my 2 cents

Later,
Nick
Right after I posted this message(well, the last one) I too, double checked my profile, and yes, it is still there, u are right. But I wonder for how long?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 08-28-2002, 05:51 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

I doubt they will do away with that. I think he just turned off the diplay option for the counts. The way it stands, if you really want to know someones count, you can find out. It just takes away the constant reminder.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 08-28-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
StangFlyer
Founder

Lightbulb

Deuce is correct. We want to de-emphasize the importance of post count, as post count does not equate to experience/knowledge/trust/anything else. If many of a person's posts are just "LOL" type stuff or general jibber-jabber, how does that make them more experienced or knowledgeable? Well, it doesn't. We are also hoping this decreases the types of posts that are just made for no other reason than just to be in a post count competition...

If someone wants a sense of accomplishment from posting, they shouldn't look for it in their post count. Instead, they should get this from knowing they are helping fellow enthusiasts and members, making friends, and adding to the quality of the site and its community with quality content.

Don't get me wrong. We are in no way discouraging our members from posting, but we want posts to mean something more than simply racking up a counter.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Old 08-28-2002, 06:31 PM   #6
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Dan's correct. We have had too many post *****'s on this site. Most people are in a post competition to see who's the "king" Most people around here just post meaningless posts. Just because someone has 6000 posts o more doesn't mean that their the smartest or the most knowledgeable..it just means that they might have too much time on their hands.lol
Old 08-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation C-c-c-changes

Change is good. We'll all survive, I'm certain.

I contend that if, after a week or less browsing the Mustang Works messageboards, a newbie doesn't recognize who the knowledgable, helpful, friendly members are as well as who the idiots are just by looking at the member's name, they aren't paying any attention - or just don't care.

Registration date is helpful and the actual post count is still available just by clicking on the profile button for any specific member so little is lost here except - hopefully - a lot of meaningless posts submitted mostly to help increase a number. For the few who did this: oh well. For the rest of us, not a real big deal.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:30 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Default Re: C-c-c-changes

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
Change is good. We'll all survive, I'm certain.

I contend that if, after a week or less browsing the Mustang Works messageboards, a newbie doesn't recognize who the knowledgable, helpful, friendly members are as well as who the idiots are just by looking at the member's name, they aren't paying any attention - or just don't care.

Registration date is helpful and the actual post count is still available just by clicking on the profile button for any specific member so little is lost here except - hopefully - a lot of meaningless posts submitted mostly to help increase a number. For the few who did this: oh well. For the rest of us, not a real big deal.
If that's how you really feel, than why did you go from 5k to zero to 7k in a couple weeks.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
Dan's correct. We have had too many post *****'s on this site. Most people are in a post competition to see who's the "king" Most people around here just post meaningless posts. Just because someone has 6000 posts o more doesn't mean that their the smartest or the most knowledgeable..it just means that they might have too much time on their hands.lol
Okay, Eric, since as of this morning, I was the only person with over 6k posts, I'll have to assume you're talking about me, and if that's how you feel, than screw you. I've given up more of my time helping people here over the last 3+ years than anyone else that I'm aware of, but if that defines a post ho, and you consider them "meaningless", than screw it. At least those I help are nice enough to say thanks.

C-ya
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #10
StangFlyer
Founder

Chris, you're getting excited about something trivial. Jim actually ZERO'd his post count out days ago as an experiment just to see if anyone would even notice... And, no one really did. When I removed the post counts from the forums, "I" changed his post count back. I couldn't remember exactly what his count was, so I just stuck it at 7000.

Is that really a big deal?
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Old 08-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #11
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Umm..did anybody Mention your name Chris???? I don't think so. And why are you so defensive over something so stupid?
Old 08-28-2002, 08:22 PM   #12
RBatson
Registered Member

I've noticed that some try to boost thier post count and I just don't look at those threads and didn't realize it was this much of a problem. It really doesn't mean too much to me what my post count is, never did really. I can see, however, how it can give a sense of belonging to the messageboard to some members. I think it really means alot to some of the members..

Last edited by RBatson; 08-28-2002 at 08:40 PM..
Old 08-28-2002, 08:55 PM   #13
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I kind of like the post count. But I don't come here because I have a bunch of posts, I come here because I love the content.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #14
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

Talking

I can't believe this, I spent all this time padding my post count to a staggering 37 and now no one's going to be able to see how much time I wasted typing about nothing. I'm used to seeing the post count but not having it doesn't bother me, just meaningless numbers.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:22 PM   #15
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking ????

LOL! I didn't even notice it was gone.....till now. Personally I liked it, but theres more to life than post quotas..Not that I wont post when I hit 2500 or so!
But, if anyone ever wants to see where they stand, they just have to go to the Members and look at the Posting totals..no biggie. TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:54 PM   #16
srv1
Get down.....

post counts dont mean nothing to me. i could care less. what i do like to stay here is registration date. so far, so good!

CHRIS! relax man! everybody loves you! u da biggest ho here!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:28 PM   #17
jj_jonathon
Trisket

if i cant post *****, i guess ill hafta go back to the streets to just plain *****.... oh well..hehe...

and dan - I noticed Jim's post count disappeared on the day it did...i just didn't say anything about it....i lurk the shadows...mwuaha....yet i post *****? uh oh....lol...those canadians are always messed up, eh?

all in all...post counting was more or less harmless, but it was turning into a posting-burlesque house around here...hehe...me included *hangs head in shame*....oh well...means we dont have to "apologize" for typing posts like "lol" or "!!" anymore...so maybe we'll start to see more and more people giving personal reactions to things and well watch the site expand....gotta love murphy and his law, turns everything into a box of chocolates!

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
Old 08-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #18
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

You guys talk alot about post competitions and post ho's but i never really saw much evidence of this. Especially not lately. I mean the people on this site are no where near how the people are on other boards. Especially www.off-topic.net. I know that forum is different as its just basically for BS but if you wanna see Post hos go there.

Just like I said before I did like the count thing but Im not going anywhere. It is good that the registration date is there though.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
Old 08-29-2002, 04:54 AM   #19
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Old 08-29-2002, 05:21 AM   #20
Mach 1
Registered Member

Im glad you did it. There was too much garbage out there. Hopefully this will help clean it up.

Great idea!
RHC member #142
Closed Thread