MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2002, 01:48 AM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Default to cam or not to cam?

My setup is as fallows.

edelbrock 4bbl 600cfm carb mech sec.
performer intake.
stock 302 heads 289 stroke.
try Y headders
stock cam
stock bottom end with high volume oil pump.
i run a c4 with modified gears.
i dont know first or second but third is 1.3 instead of 1.0.
also run 3.55 gears.
msd box and coil
my power range now is about 3500 to 4500 rpm or so.

what cam should i get? i can get anything at pepboys and 20% discount. they have the performer cam for about 120 bucks. should i get this cam to be more complete with the performer package or should i get something else? im looking for 3500-6000 rpm range. becasuse of my gears i pull hard untill 6000rpm where i redline so id like a cam that can keep up. what do you guys suggest with my combo? also with most cams i will need a new timing chain.. anything you can remmomend for ease of install price and durability?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Well the performer manifold gives out around 6000 rpm's if I'm not mistaken. Going with the performer cam sounds like the best bet. If you start bumping up the cam too much you have to bring the rest of the engine along with it. Raise the comp ratio, higher valve springs, stronger rod/head/main bolts....bla,bla,bla. The package cam should give you the extra ponies your looking for, without taxing the rest of the system. Good luck
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote