MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2002, 01:21 PM   #1
j's69stang
Registered Member

Post thought of the day

Me and my friends were thinking last night how nice it would be to drop a 2003 cobra engine and tranny into my old 69. What do you think of that thought everyone? Of course it would be a little costly but think of how cool it would be to have 400 horsepower with a 6 speed and get awesome gas mileage and still run 12s on street tires. hehe Just thought that i would share that dream of a thought with yall
j's69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:29 AM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Check your dimensions on the engine. I understand the 4.6 2v and 4v are very wide, as wide as the boss 429 from what I remember. If that is the case, the transplant is going to be really tough since the front suspension had to be modified and moved outward to get the boss 429 in the 69-70 cars.
Yea, it sucks because that new cobra motor would be something really awesome in an older car.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

Heck ya.....let's do it!! You spend the money, and your buddy could do the work, and I could drive the car. Something for everyone.

I think you're right.....$$$$ would fly out of your wallet, but it would be totally awsome. That's what really counts, right? I guess that depends on how deep your pockets are. Thunderbolt is right, that engine is wide...VERY WIDE. I believe it might even be WIDER than the Boss 429. The only way you could get that engine into the car IMHO would be to cut out the shock towers and put in a Mustang II type front suspension. Not that this is a bad idea, I've always admired how well that opens up the engine compartment.

Of course, you could just buy a new Cobra and enjoy driving it.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:57 PM   #4
fordkid68
Registered Member

well to tell you the truth I think thats the way to go. get an old car and drop A new engine in it computer and every thing. I mean the new cars are good for gas milage pluse racing but I dont like the looks of them so you drop that engine in your 69 and you got looks plus speed and gas milage. the and I am sure it would be cheaper then buying A new cobra. but then again you can't make payments. well any ways I think it's A great idea. if you decide to do it as always keep us informed.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Hey 66Fasback
Great idea with the mustang II suspension, if you are intent on doing it. I hadn't thought of anything like that. But yea, get rid of the shock towers and it could be do-able. Ever seen this done? I would think someone would be poking 4.6's into 65's too.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:10 PM   #6
71grande
Registered Member

its beeing done. Mustang and Fords magazine is woing a series called "Mustang In Black". That is just one of the cute things they did. one thing they found is that the tranny tunnell wasnt in the right spot. they had to fabricate a special linkage that would allow them to pull the shfter back about 4 inches and tward the driver about 2.

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

If anyone asks what you got under the hood you can always say a 289. It would be pretty pricey though, and the older stangs are little less aerodynamic so you may not be able to pull the same times at the new Cobra... which weights more though? I would be interested to hear and see pictures of you go threw with this.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:58 PM   #8
j's69stang
Registered Member

if i have alot of money in the next couple of years i will do the switch. i think my 69 weighs less that the 2003. i know that i can do the switch for way less than 35,000. i dont want the sorry a** 4.6 that comes in every mustang these days, i want the bad motor with the blower stock from the factor just so when someone asks me whats in it i can say its "stock." But i thought it was the greatest idea. my friend that works for ford says you can get 450 hp easily with air filter, pulleys, and exhaust. and then on top of that it pushes 6 psi with the stock pulley and if you put a pulley from a lightning it jumps up to 15 psi. easily 500 hp in a few hours. NICE
Old 10-23-2002, 03:16 PM   #9
one
Registered Member

Thunderbolt hit it right on the head. Mustand II front end, and you could easly do it. Those kits open up a ton of room in the 69's. I am doing one to mine and you can fit a twin turbo set up in there no problems. Might need to deal with the extra weight of that engine though. Think it would make handling a problem. But still awesome idea.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:11 PM   #10
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Credit where credit is due, wasn't my idea it was 66fastback. I just thought it was good enough to comment on.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:30 PM   #11
1969 Stang
Registered Member

having a total brain fart...Okay a mustang 2 front end how would one put one of those in a 69 mustang. Does anyone have pictures of it...And off topic kinda besides total control can I use a used rack and pinion steering stuff on my car...power of course..HOw much are we talking about for the new COBRA engine...(Tim Allen grunt goes here)...and would it make the car handle any better...so on and so forth...if you want if you have a link...go ahead.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #37
1969 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 11:16 AM   #12
j's69stang
Registered Member

i can get a new cobra motor through my friend at ford for about 6 or 7 grand. kinda costly but you get 400 hp and alot of mpg. but then the 6 speed would cost another 2 grand probably for the tremec. so its alot of money but i said if i had ALOT of money then i could do that project. It would be fun
Old 10-26-2002, 10:33 PM   #13
brockjoe
Registered Member

i have the oct 2002 issue of popular hot rodding and they did somthing like this with a robert yates dry sump big block check it out it's way cool...
artical/index.html
brockjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:39 PM   #14
66fastback
Registered Member

that's what I'm talkin about!! Thanks for that link brockjoe.....hmmmm, or should I call you Joe Brock?

They did basically what I was talking about with the Mustang II suspension......you guys really should get out more often, the Mustang II front suspension is probably THE front suspension for swapping......just check out ANY Street Rodder magazine and look at the advertisements and you'll see what I mean. People have been putting that suspension in every kind of car imaginable for over 20 years now. It's simple, effective, and relatively cheap.

Put that setup in a classic Mustang, and you get better ride, handling, and braking (for those of you with drum brakes) and a rack and pinion steering as the cherry on top. Let's not forget not having to worry about the shock towers sagging anymore, or cracking....AND you get a lot more room around the engine.

Sound too good to be true? It is. What you have in the car now is already setup, and is essentially free (compared to swapping in something else that is). The Mustang II front suspension kits aren't free.....you have to totally cut out your old stuff, including the shock towers, and start over. This requires a lot of careful measuring, and of course, some heavy duty welding. I think you used to have to cut your old frame rails off, and try to get everything to line up right when you welded it back, but now there are kits that don't require as much cutting torch......stuff made just for the classic stangs.

I saw an ad just the other day for one selling for under $2000. It's a lot of work, and a serious project, but something to consider for those that want/need the extra room in the engine bay.

I've rambled on long enough....gotta run.
Doc.