MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2001, 07:09 PM   #1
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Post chrysler pisses me off

well my dad 2001 dodge ram offroad sport is having some problems.about 6 months ago my dad noticed the box was crooked and told the dealer about it and they said they would talkt o somebody and get back to him....guess wut they never did..when they out the box together they didn't push the 1 piece far enough in before they welded it in place.....then last week my dad takes the truck in because the 4wd is screwed up..well they didn't get it fixed and they were supposed to call back before my dad left for work yesterdayhey didn't and this really pisses me off....chrysler is struggling and needs to hold on to their customers but can't do work on a truck worth more then all of their cars...this puzzles me and makes me realizer why they are falling flat on their faces....if they don't call back ppl who buy 45000(35000 american) trucks then i wopuld hate to see how they treat the ppl who buy neons and there other small econo boxes.....them not gettin around to fix the truck is this grounds to use the lemon law? they also had it in to fix the seat hte other day but i can't remeber wut was wrong with it

we know have to go up north hunting with the 4wd not working right.i priced out a 1500 hd chevy for about the same price as the truck we have now is worth and i keep reminding him about the lightning but since it is our family car so it is not practical.....
sorry for it being so long

JAMES

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
RAGE_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Feel any better?

I admired Mopar in the 1970's, but grew to hate them in the 1980's, with the advent of the 2.2L K car. They're better now, but it sounds like you guys have a really crappy dealer in your area. Might want to try contacting customer service.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:57 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Actually, I don't think Chrysler is getting any better with quality.

They still seem to have huge quality issues. Maybe in the last couple years, but previous to that, forget it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:09 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Unit, I don't even the last couple of years has helped too much. From what I hear, there's still lots more Chryslers going back under the lemon law as compared to Ford or GM. Sad thing is they probably have maybe, at least fair engineering. Just what i've heard from hearsay, don't quote me on it.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 10-09-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:10 AM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs down

There is an article in Car and driver this month about "sporty" little cars for under $20K (I had to laugh when people spend that much money on a "sporty" car).

The Neon R/T is in there and they said it was the 3rd fastest of the group but got rated at the rock bottom because the build quality was so low. Can you imagine buying the Neon and reading that article? I would shove that car back up the dealers a**!

Of course I would bever buy a chrysler...

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:30 AM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Rage:

Looks like you have good reason for your screen name!

I would certainly advise your dad to contact the next rung up on the complaint scale (Chrysler District Office?).

I've found that the squeeky wheel really does get the grease.
My wife is a master at having the patience to make 10 calls and wade through a dozen people to get satisfaction from a business. Of course, as I remind her, we shouldn't have to work so hard to get things done right, but she responds with the point that we have no choice. Quality is low on many items and customer service is a bad joke at many companies (HMO's are the worst).

Your point about paying 35k for a truck and being treated like garbage by the dealer should be repeated to whatever Chrysler executive you can find; starting with the owner - not the manager - of the dealership. If done without too much emotion (i.e. swearing, fist-waving) it can do wonders. If not, trade the Dodge; life is too short for this kind of frustration when there are better vehicles around that can do the same thing - for less.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #7
73 Mustang Boy
Registered Member

In 1998 my family bought the first non ford vehicle we had ever owned. We got my mom a 98 Concorde. she drove the car for 3 years and never had a problem out of it. We liked the Concorde so much after the least ran up we got a 300M and we love it. I know dodge trucks are known for having problems in the driveline, but from what I've seen the cars are alright. Not to menton the design of the cars is great. You have a realy bad dealer and I would complain.
73 Mustang Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:41 PM   #8
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

thx for the responses guys...if only my dad saw it my way.it is one hell of a nice truck but the quality just doesn't seem to be wut it should be..i also agree there muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's were monsters but it seems they went down hill from there...we usually buy ford but we didn't this time and it bit us in the *** ..i really don't like the look of the newer fords except the lightning which is why i was telling him to get a z71 for years....the wierd thing is that the guy who sold us the truck lives 6 houses down from us and have been freinds of the family for years

JAMES

------------------
not for long
Old 10-09-2001, 08:53 PM   #9
rbatson

Thumbs down

I bought a 94 4x4 Ram Sport, new in 94. The first 3 monthes I owned it the dealership had it more than I did. It had a problem in the transmission and transfer case. It had a bad rattle among other things. I took it to a dealership out of town and they put a new bushing in the driveshaft, it took care of the rattle for about a week. I could put the transmission in reverse it would take 30 seconds to engage. The first time I did this was scary, I put in reverse and gave it some gas and was not moving... suddenly.. BAM! I was in the middle of the street. I called and complained, I went to arbitration and had that set up(after a year and half of consistently having it worked on). I walked into the meeting seeing the artitrabor and service manager joking and cutting up with each other(apparently they knew each other... hmmm..), they saw the problems I talked about and the arbitrater said to give them one last attempt to fix. I had no choice, I let them 'try' to fix it. Didn't work.. called the arbitration office and they told me if they didn't replace it the first time then it would be a waste of my time to try again. I was P!SSED!! I sold the truck and lost alot of money, I vowed to never own another chyrsler vehicle. It was a good riding truck and to this day I think its the best looking truck I've ever seen.. but I wouldn't own another one!! I bought a 99 ext. cab Z71 in march of 99 and that was a NICE truck.

My advice to your dad is to get rid of that POS chrysler vehicle, count your losses, and get a ford or gm truck.

Ford makes a darn good truck but.. I have to say this.. I just love a Z71. When I was shopping the Z71 I looked at hp and mpg. I would have gotten the ford if it had either more hp or better mpg.. it had neither. My dad has a 99 F150 ext. cab.. nice truck. Not as nice as that Z71 I had though. That Z71 rode like a cadillac and had good power(5.3) and real decent mpg(lots better than that 318 ram POS).

I could go into more detail but I think I've gotten my point across on the whole situation.(Get out ASAP!)
Old 10-10-2001, 06:30 AM   #10
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

i just don't get it.....eveerything else he has no patience with.when my new gun was in the shop gettinmg worked on because it kept jamming he went in there and bitched at the guy so much cause he had had the gun for a while and hadn't touched it but for his truck which he p;ayed a hell of a lot of money for he has all the patience in the world.......

the mpg on our 5.9L ram is about 14/15 i think
wut r u getting on the chevy?

------------------
not for long
Old 10-10-2001, 08:21 AM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Rage:

I think I see why your dad is being so patient with the Dodge and it's problems; your comment that the guy who sold it to him lives 6 houses down and is a longtime family friend is probably the reason.

Your dad most likely doesn't want to tell the guy he sold him a POS and then go sell the truck - which would prove it. Seems silly to me when the cost is so high and the frustration factor takes all the joy out of owning a new vehicle, but I've seen this happen before. Kind of sad, really.

I think it's misplaced sensitivity to another guys 'feelings' but then, he's not my old friend, either. Oh well.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 07:41 PM   #12
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

yeah thats wut my mom was saying about 15 minutes ago he doesn't want to ***** at the guy....he is going to take it to the dealership in the town he works in and have them fix it.....if not my mom is going to go into the dealership and make sure it gets fixed=)....i just know that i will never buy a chryaler product unless it has is a old school muscle car

JAMES

------------------
not for long
Old 10-11-2001, 05:56 AM   #13
rbatson

Sorry it took so long to reply, my isp was down last night.

I no longer have the z71, someone talked me into trading it on a cobra. I got over 17 mpg (hwy) before it had 500 miles on it. I think it was around 14 or so around town. I've heard the 360 is a little better on gas than the 318, go figure. Is that 13/14 city or hwy?

As far as hurting the guys feelings, I understand but I don't think it would keep me from ditching it. The longer you own it the more you're gonna lose.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:46 PM   #14
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

i am not sure...that is the overall average i believe

------------------
not for long
Old 10-12-2001, 05:15 AM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

well, I hate to say it, but if I was laying down $30,000 to $40,000 for a new Truck, I would head straight to the Toyota dealer and get a Tundra.

For the price of new cars, unless you have lots of money and patience , you better be sure your getting a quality product, and the american brands just dont give me much confidence, especially chrysler products. Although a longtime auto-mechanic friend of mine was praising how good the new chrysler productys have improved, I dont put much weight in what he says. After all, he said they are as good as and similar to GM products, so obviously, he doesnt have a clue in the first place.

Anyway, sounds like you just got a lemon. The real problem hear is crappy customer service, which has become the norm in the country.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:10 PM   #16
Coupe Devil

I must regrettfully agree with MACH 1 on this one. I got in a pinch for money right after I graduated college and had to work at a Toyota dealership here in Paducah. I was in parts but mainly I just drove a new Tundra around for a month delivering parts. The dealership was using it as parts turck, Pretty nice parts truck to. I put about 6xxx miles on in in a month just driving around the town. It was a 2000 model and already had 67,xxx on it when I quit there. If I was gonna go buy a brand new thats what it would be.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-4, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Hope to start running next year. Hoping for 7.20's after all is done with small motor.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:53 PM   #17
Unit 5302
Registered Member

There's no way I would ever buy a Toyota. In my opinion that **** *** company rides Ford's coattails. All they do is wait for Ford to come out with something, then they try to copy the name, styling, and in some cases the engine. Then they sell it as some kind of ingenious new product from Toyota that kills all the competition.

Bad service and dealers exist everywhere, and quite frankly, I don't believe in the ultimate Toyota quality crap either. They have a shitload of recalls and other problems, you just don't hear about them. My dad's friend at work just picked up a new Toyota truck, and it's spend a great deal of time in the shop as well.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 09:10 PM   #18
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

unit you just said something there that i learned in the late 80's but did not want to say ,i have had to go to the burn trauma center lately for unknown reasons , ha ha , well whatever but if i had to buy a rice truck, thank god , i don't i think i would go with a nissan , but as i said i have my old beat up still kicking f-150 so no problem 200,000 and still going & going , etc the old4.9 is a tough act to follow as far as durability if you take care of them. later!

------------------

[This message has been edited by crazy horse gt (edited 10-12-2001).]
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote