MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 04:16 PM   #1
mysticclam
Registered Member

Post locking lug nuts

How can i get these off without a key?
I bought a car from an auction and it didnt have the key. Ive thought about roughing up the surface with a dremil cutting disk and using this giant pair of vicegrips I have but im trying to not damage the wheels.
mysticclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 04:57 PM   #2
nicolette
Registered Member

I don't know if you can...but depending on what kind of lugs they are you should be able to get the wrench from 'california mustang'. I have seen them in the catalog for about $20

------------------
nicolette, 1968 coupe
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 05:00 PM   #3
Power
Registered Member

I've had to do this a couple of times. I'm not sure what rims you have but if the lugs are countersunk into the rims this will be harder. Hopefully the nuts stick out a little bit from the rim.

Take a craftsman socket (or any other brand that is free or close to free to replace) and try sliding it on the lugnut. Keep going down in size till you find one that is just a hair too small. Then grab your sledge and pound the SOB till it goes on the socket about 1/3 - 1/2 way. Then give it a good whack on the side to make it slightly angled on the socket. Now grab your biggest rachet and a breaker bar and pry down on that sucker. It will pop right off every time.

It sounds pretty barbaric and your socket will be ruined but this way definitly works. Sears will replace the socket without asking what happened provided it is craftsman. I've done this about 6 times.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 06:37 PM   #4
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

AHHHH no the dreaded locking lug-nut. I had some on my Cobra R's, well the right front lock stripped out, so did the key. And the lug nut tappered in, so you could barely get a socket on it. Tried that for a while never could get it to budge. Then tried to JB weld a socket on it(getting pretty desperate by then). Still didn't work. Finally after EVERYTHING else failed, had to weld the socket on. Scuffed up the rim a lil bit, but some gray paint took care of that. =P Never again.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 12:26 AM   #5
84LX89GT
Mustangs

just about every tool company makes a set of tools to take off wheel locks. You can also go to any tire store and i can almost garauntee that someone has one of those kits. You'll probably have to pay to have them get it off, but it'll probably cost you less than buying tools yourself. I worked at a tire store about 6 months ago and there was an AMAZING amount of people who either lost their locks or people who bought the car that way. Most times it takes pneumatic tools (such as air hammers or special locking lug nut sockets) to take them off fairly easily. Good luck, hope you get this figured out.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 08:53 AM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

Yeah, they basically have a tool that has left threads and is tapered on the inside. It takes those babies right off. I had to get one when one of the crappy locks on my wife's Probe broke. Unfortunately it didn't leave enough nut for me to get a grip so I wound up using the sledge hammer and socket method which worked like a charm. Definitely use Craftsman for that type of removal.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 09:31 AM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

Nice tool. When we brought my buddies Mustang down to Superior Ford late one evening to get his lock nut off, all they did was look at it and say. "Pull it in." Guy went over to his toolbox, pulled out a socket, grabbed a giant sledge, whacked it once, through the breaker bar on it and off it came.

When we asked what we owed them, the guy said, "No Charge."

Kick *** , looks like they were short on that tool, LOL.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: