MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-07-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Unhappy long past 24hours, dad went to hospital...

I originally wasn't coming home this weekend...but I got a phone call around 5pm yesterday from my older brother (who was home this weekend) saying that my dad was int he hospital...(imagine those being the first words of the conversation )...so then explained that while he was on the bobcat (were in the process of clearing out a LOT of scrubbrush in the front yard) he ran through a bee's nest and one of them stung him in the side of the head...he managed to get back to the house from the road (a good 100ft or so) and then started passing out and was unconscience for a little, my mom called 911, EMTs showed up, (he was back awake by then), they took his blood pressure (which was surprising very normal 128/78 or something, and he smokes everyday, has 3 kids a wife, and is a computer programmer)...he had a severe allergic reaction to the bee sting, and the next one will be worse..so now he has one of those pens that you jab into your leg whne you get stung...wee..so I said to my brothe orn the phone that I was on my way back, he told me to hang tight for 30min or so to unwind and get more details...i got a call from my younger brother (also at home) and he said that my dad was doing fine, he was on his way home by that point and that I didnt need to come home....i told them too bad, grabbed my toothbrush, some clothes and took off for home...i was going kinda quick, i tend not to speed excessively, so i was doing about 85mph most of the way...took about 2 1/2 hours to get back (rather good time)...its a 200mile drive...so I showed up around 8:30....my dad was just a little wobbly from the drugs at the hospital, but he was pretty much like normal...so i was up til about 2:30 talking with them and such (my mom loves seeing me come back) and I got up at 7:3 this morning to take my younger brother to school (because I'm a nice older brother like that and he hardly sees me anymore)...and i was back on the road at noon...got back here around 3...then after unpacking my car had a 4pm class to get to....so im exhausted...and the forum has been so busy in the past 24hours! yikes!...

I just felt like sharing all this....there was no way I wasnt going back , cuz if I was in the hospital for any reason even for an hour or two, theyd be up here for me....sometimes its nice having a close family

great way to put 400miles on your car in a day too...lol

-Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
Mustanguy

Cool

Glad your dad is recovering nicely!

It's common for some people to have a reaction to bee stings,but you neva know you will til you finally get stung.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah...allergic reactions can be a very scary thing. Most people don't know until they have a serious reaction. Had a friend whose sister had asthma and was allergic to several foods. She was at a party one day (think she was around 10 years old) and she had some food or cake with something that she was allergic to in it. She was dead before she hit the ground. By the time a friend's dad got there to start CPR, she was already cyanotic. Very sad for the family and the whole community who knew her. She was a great kid.

Glad to hear your dad's ok.

Those epi pens are pretty crazy. A buddy of mine was in paramed. training and they were practicing with dummy pens. On accident, he picked up a pen from the live bin and jammed it into his thigh. The spring released and he got an injection of epinephrin like a ton of bricks. He couldn't stop shaking the entire class. Puts you on a serious edge.

I remember in advanced phys when we cut out a turtles heart and placed it into an iso-solution and added various agents like epi to see the effects on the still beating heart. Fun fun.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:01 PM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

What a day! I'm afraid of every bug.... including bee's. There alot like woman, there fine until you bother them, and once you do, they get angry... and then get a whole team to attack you.

But I'm glad ya're dad is doing fine, and hopefully he'll watch out for those bee hives.
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Hey man, glad your dad got better!
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:02 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

glad your dad's ok bud, long day for you, take care.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Glad your "Pops" is OK!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:31 PM   #8
lysacat
Registered Member

Hey Jonathon,
I'm glad your Dad is OK. Allergies can be pretty scary, especially when they're that severe.
C-ya, Melisa
Old 10-07-2002, 09:55 PM   #9
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Thanks everyone for showing concern. Obviously I'm glad he's ok too. He's quite the fighter so I wasn't too worried, just had to run home to be there because I would kick myself if I didn't. I just love him too much to sit in Gainesville while he went to the hospital, I'm sure lots of you understand

he actually got stung two or three times about 3 weeks ago working out there by a different nest (ended up covering the nest in diesel, rofl)...it was in the legs though, but he refused to take benadryl (he is anti-drugs, thinks none of them work, etc etc) so his legs swelled up quite a bit around the stings, but all it did was slow him down for a day. So this was in the side of the head after a mild attack a few weeks ago. Since bee stings escalade, I sure hope he doesn't get stung again.

Thanks again

I still have a lab writeup and calc worksheet, etc to do...yippee...like I said, long day(s)...

Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Old 10-08-2002, 03:07 AM   #10
PKRWUD

I need to get me one of them there pens.

I received 14 bumble bee (slightly smaller than a bird) stings as a welcome of sorts to Illinois when I was a teenager, and was out for 24 hours. I haven't been stung since, but was told that it wouldn't be pretty when (if) it happens. For some reason, I never think about it though, until I see a bee.

***writing note: gets you a pen!***

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:02 AM   #11
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Thumbs up

JJ - glad to hear that your Dad is ok now. I'm sure it meant alot to him to see you drive up that far just to make sure he was ok.

E

PS - I HATE bees and mosquitos too!

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:59 AM   #12
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Bee stings can be serious, when I was about 12, I got stung(for like the fifth time) and my arm swelled up. The doctor said that I might be allergic, but I look at it later, and I think it was because the bee stung me in a vein. I used to be scared of them till that day. I then realized that if I stood up to them and attacked them(unless there was a swarm) thay they would just fly away. And for the last 8 years, it's been working.

Hehe, I used to chase them after they tried to attack me. There is one bee back home which I am afriad of. It's called a bald face hornet. It's all black and about the size of your thumb. I've heard many horror stories about them. One, my friend told me about, was when he was riding his bike. The thing ran into him while he was riding, it then flew way up in the air in front of him, and dove at him; hitting him sqaure in the middle of the forhead and knocking him off his bike, landing on his on the ground. He was about 20 feet away from his house and begain to run there, but before he could, his eyes swelled shut. Luckly his parents heard him and took him to the hospital. Get this, he's not allergic to them. This was all the bee.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:09 PM   #13
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangman65_79
There is one bee back home which I am afriad of. It's called a bald face hornet. It's all black and about the size of your thumb. I've heard many horror stories about them. One, my friend told me about, was when he was riding his bike. The thing ran into him while he was riding, it then flew way up in the air in front of him, and dove at him; hitting him sqaure in the middle of the forhead and knocking him off his bike, landing on his on the ground. He was about 20 feet away from his house and begain to run there, but before he could, his eyes swelled shut. Luckly his parents heard him and took him to the hospital. Get this, he's not allergic to them. This was all the bee.
sounds like the female of the species, eh? ...uhh j/k for all of you who want to throw things at me now

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics