MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2001, 07:55 PM   #1
Her99GT
Registered Member

Wink Stupid question of the day.....

Could someone please explain to me why or if a manual is faster that an automatic? I have a '99 GT and I thought I had read somewhere that the '99 and up automatic stangs could hold there own with manuals?

Thanks, Beth
Her99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 12:44 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The converter on the auto eats up a lot more power than the manuals clutch does. 99+ auto are still slower that sticks

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 275,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 01:08 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The torque convertor eats up power because there is slipage. In automatics, there is not direct link between the engine and transmissions mechanical parts. The power loss in a Auto is substantionally higher due to the slippage that occurs in the Torque convertor.

To explain it easily, the torque convertor has one part that is connected to the engine, and another part connected to the tranny. The Turbine (Torque convertor part connected to teh engine) flings tranny fluid against the vanes of the part connected to the tranny, the force of the fluid hitting the part causes it to turn, there by giving you motion.

In a manual tranny, there is a direct link between the engine and tranny, and no slipage (as long as your clutch assembly isnt screwed). You still get power loss in a manual tranny, but its because of directional force, ie like the rear axle where the force has to make a 90 Degree turn.

Hope I was able to help.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote