MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Mac vs. PC, what do you use?

Wondering what everybody else here uses, Im a pretty big PC fan, but I use Macs at school all the time (Mass Communications Major) and have slowly been getting used to them. Right now Im actually trying to get OSX (Leopard) to run on my PC If I can get the hacked version to run I might actually go buy a genuine version of Leopard, since I can get it fairly cheap through school. (About 115) My brother got his PC to run OSX, but I guess he couldnt get the internet to work. Quite a few people are doing this it seems, you can build a PC to run OSX just as well as a $2k Mac Pro for half price. With my PC ive gotten it to the install screen of OSX, but still cant get it to find my Hard Drive.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Mac vs. PC, what do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon View Post
Wondering what everybody else here uses, Im a pretty big PC fan, but I use Macs at school all the time (Mass Communications Major) and have slowly been getting used to them. Right now Im actually trying to get OSX (Leopard) to run on my PC If I can get the hacked version to run I might actually go buy a genuine version of Leopard, since I can get it fairly cheap through school. (About 115) My brother got his PC to run OSX, but I guess he couldnt get the internet to work. Quite a few people are doing this it seems, you can build a PC to run OSX just as well as a $2k Mac Pro for half price. With my PC ive gotten it to the install screen of OSX, but still cant get it to find my Hard Drive.
The following article may help you if you're having problems. I don't think you can really call it Mac vs. PC anymore. The Macintosh is really just a PC with a different O/S. They both use x86 coded instructions now, and the major differences have really been reduced to the motherboards. Anyway, I think this is Windows vs. gOS vs. OSX now, and Windows is losing ground to both. Unless Windows 7, which is supposed to come out next year to replace Vista is a hit, I t hink Windows is done. I'll be continuing to monitor gOS, which was developed by Everex & Google by working with the open source OS, Linux. By the way, gOS doesn't stand for "Google OS" it stands for "good OS." Wal Mart has already sold gPCs or PCs that were specifically developed with the gOS on them. Later they began selling the MyMiniPC targeted specifically at myspace users.

How To: Install OS X on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

I've read that article several times! I've actually been having problems and do believe that my mobo (an MSI) isnt nearly as compatible as my brothers, a Gigabyte. We had OSX running and whatnot already without much fuss on his, but mine is quite reluctant. We got OSX installed on one of my Harddrives now, but it still doesnt want to load into Leopard. What im thinking/hoping is that Apple will just release their OS to all systems, if they did that I think they would gain a big chunk of the market. Probably tough to do that though when they make so much money off their systems currently. I cant remember if I've ever even heard of Gos before?! Just googled it, looks pretty sweet. Says its geared towards myspace users, thats weird. Ubuntu is a pretty sweet OS. I think windows has a pretty long future yet, im sure there are people out there that dont know any of these other OS's exists, and when you have the money microsoft does they could probably continue to put out some crappy software. Also, I think Vista will pick up more and more steam, quite a few people I know are switching over to it. (Im still running xp)
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

Im actually DLing that gOS now to try out, I have an extra 500gb HD that I had bought to install OSX on. Do you know how I can run two sata drives, both with different OS's on them? If I have both of them hooked up (one with XP and the other with OSX) it just stalls the computer after startup and it goes nowhere. How would I even run it to have the 500gb as a slave to my other drive? I would like to clear OSX off of it and use it for other OS's which I could select at startup, then when im bored with that perhaps just use it as a backup drive. Advice on that would be great, thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
CobraJet428
Registered Member

Dell D510 Laptop
Rice Haters Club Member #237
2007 Vista Blue Mustang GT Convertible w/black top and charcoal interior, 18-in. polished aluminum wheels.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger Longbed, 400M w/automatic and 2 fuel tanks...get the picture?
1993 Mustang GT Dark Blue/Grey 2-tone. Flowmaster Mufflers and blackouts on the headlights. RIP (10/31/99).
1968 Mustang 6 cyl/C4 automatic
1938 Ford Pickup, Flathead V8 (85HP) with granny 4-speed..a restoration work in progress.
CobraJet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
cruisinjay
Registered Member

I really don't care what I use at work (though my current job at Cruisin' Style Magazine uses all Macs even for the secretary and sales people) but I would never use anything but a Mac at home.
cruisinjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
StangFlyer
Founder

If you buy a new MAC you can install VMWare with Unity, which will allow you run a full installation of OS X and Windows on the same machine and run them simultaneously. You can then use Windows applications within OS X. It's the best of both worlds.
Attached Images
File Type: png OSX_with_VMWare_Unity.png (380.4 KB, 2 views)
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
Cobra Jet
Registered Member

I have been using a MAC G4 - it's the one w/ the chrome front and the "Buick holes" in it. I forget all of the specs, but it's pretty damn fast and has never ever given me any issues at all - none. I love it and will always be a Mac "supporter" ever since going to a G4 from a PC...

Here's why I like the G4:

Super fast start up

Super fast shut down (no waiting for internal programs to end or close)

Can use all MS Office products on it w/o issues

Excellent graphics abilities, editing abilities, etc

NEVER EVER an issue w/ installing software or hardware - all software or hardware installs instantly w/o issues

NEVER EVER an issue w/ software updates (no need to search for drivers, exe's, etc)

NEVER EVER an issue w/ ANY type of email threat (viruses, trojans, spam, etc)...

Overall, it's just a really great piece of equipment and can be easily updated if I wanted to install more goodies (has plenty of available open slots, etc). I already added another internal HD which has a 300gb capacity... LOL...

I was a PC user for YEARS.... I finally just got fed up with all of the problems w/ updates, "blue death screens", programs not loading, programs taking forever to load, slow shut down or start up times, the threat of viruses, Microsoft corruption, virus prgram errors/issues, etc.
1991 BMW 318ic
Cobra Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
bmxmon
Registered Member

I wish Mac would release their OS for PC, making too much money off the whole thing though I suppose...
Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Richardson
Registered Member

I used a PC for 14 years and switched over to Mac recently and I will never go back! The Leopard O/S is so much more stable than Windows that it's not even a fair comparison. My biggest challenge is that I do not have Office for Mac. Most of the people I communicate still use Microsoft Office for documents, spreadsheets etc...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Apple is unlikely to release it's OS series to the mainstream personal computer market. It's difficult not to really call a Mac a PC considering it uses:

The same processor
The same CD/DVD drives
The same hard drives
The same video cards
The same RAM
The same power supplies
The same sound cards

The only thing different between most mainstream PC's and the Mac is the motherboard, and of course, the operating system.

Since Apple makes money on the actual hardware and computer itself, releasing the software directly to the mainstream PC market would mean Apple would also have to cut it's profits to remain competitive. Otherwise, why not just buy a PC and install OSX on it?

Well, that's what many people are already doing by building a "hackintosh." With fairly good success rates, too.

I disagree with OSX being significantly more stable than Windows XP, but it's certainly a mile ahead of Vista (piece of garbage). Microsoft is losing marketshare to a suddenly revamped offering of Linux based products such as GoS (a google enhanced Ubutu Linux), Ubutu, and other low cost Linux solutions that have a lot of enhanced drivers and compatibiltiy programmed in. I thought Linux was going to be dead with the release of Longhorn, but by the time Longhorn morphed into the bloated, incompatable nightmare which is Vista, it was obvious that the door was once again wide open to competitors. Maybe that's why Microsoft is feverishly working to replace Vista with Windows 7, currently slated for next year already?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote