MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2002, 10:17 PM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Angry The "Man" finally got what he deserved

Ok, the reginal manager of the chain of stores I work for was told today. "Don't come back." I think they should have done more, like drive toothpicks up his nails.

Ok, I work at a grocery store and the manager of the meat market had been working there for 30 years(since he was 17). Ever sense he became manger his market has been the top rated in the district. Then one day the "Man", the district manager comes in throwing a fit. EVERYTHING was supposidly wrong. He told him that if he didn't have it right by two days after new years that he was fired. We that put a LOT of stress on Joe and unfortunaly he put a end to the stress in the worse way possable. I mean for God's sake he was only 47.

The ONLY reason he was going to be fired was because he had, been there for 30 years and was about to retire. The (insert a LONG string of cuss words), didn't want to pay him his retirement!!!!!!

They replaced him with some prick who's a **** know it all. I told my manager today, "If he says something to me, I"ll go off on him." Lane(my manager) just told me, "I'll get you out of jail if you do".

All I know is that the world is missing a good man, all because of some cheap skates

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Wut the hell are with these people?????? OMFG i would have had to restrian myself by all means necesarry and avoid the guy after he said wut he said and caused what he caused. I would have ripped him apart.

Man i'm sorry to hear about the guy that pretty much devoted his carrer to the place and was loyal for 30 years and made the business prosper then was **** all over by some ******* *******. Man that **** really pisses me off.

Oh and that piece of **** didn't get what he deserved. You didn't kill him yet

JAMES
Old 01-22-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

He WAS the district manager of about 25 stores so I didn't see him much. and if he's smart he'll NEVER set foot in my store again.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

He should have filed a lawsuit, sued the beejeezers out of them.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Retail is a tough business. For several years, I was a store manager for a chain of auto parts stores.

Managers were very seldom promoted from within. Most of the District managers were hired from non auto related businesses. I had one who was a district manager for a lady's clothing store, another a shoe store manager and so on.

They didn't know an oil filter from a brake caliper, but were hired anyway. Snotty "I'm a boss" attitude. They really thought they knew their stuff, but didn't know jack.

I finally got fed up and quit.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:02 AM   #6
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

man that sucks ......if that guy were to "accidentally" get run over by the fork lift .....i don't think the world would miss him........
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:49 AM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Man TireBurner, that is really sad. I'm sorry to hear the poor guy killed him self.

I know this may sound stupid, but every time I hear about someone killing themself, it deeply saddens me. I dont think of those who commit suiced as cowards, but think of them as a person in a situation of unbearable pain and suffering.

Take it easy on the new guy. He may be a jerk, but act and work like your old boss would of wanted you to. That would honor his memory in a far better way than giving the new guy a problem.

Bussiness sucks, its a darn right shame what these bean counters will do to save a buck, or for the name of profit. Profit is of course the name of the game, but to be so calus, and cold should be criminal.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:22 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

oh my god i cant believe the poor guy killed himself over a job, i hope the jerk thinks about making a man take his life,EVERYDAY OF HIS MISERABLE FREAKIN LIFE,god im a foreman where i work but my guy's know if they do their job & keep me outta trouble, they never see me except to give them parts,help them out ,or just bs, he should have never treated that man in tne manner he did. he will pay in the end, sorry to here this josh take care.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:25 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry Attenuated Justice

tb163:

A very sad story all around, but of course I have no sympathy at all for the (ex) District Manager. I find it ironic that he did the company's bidding in harrassing your former bosss into an early grave, and now he's unemployed for his trouble.

A sort of justice, I suppose.

When a man (or woman) devotes a working lifetime to one place of business and does well with it then sees it all torn down in an instant by some stranger with a title who threatens not only everything he's built up and polished and takes justified pride in but his own livelihood threatened too, well, that's hard to simply shrug off at 47. By then you usually have financial responsibilities and people depending on you, not to mention your own self-esteem being shattered.

Of course none of that is worth one's life, but I can see the despair that could drive a middle-aged man to view his life as wasted and the future looking grim in this situation. Most men take pride in what they do and to have your life's work spit on and then told that you're fired if you don't totally change it overnight is stressful beyond compare on many different levels.

The fact that all this was probably just a corporate ploy to screw the man out of his retirement is not surprising at all. I've seen it happen before. Sometimes it's to due to a pending retirement, sometimes they just want you out for some other reason so the 'Big Boss' suddenly finds you the worst employee they ever had (never mind that you were doing fine for years before this) compiles a 'paper trail' (bad job performance reviews, warnings, etc) and then when they have enough 'proof' that you're incompetent - by their subjective reasoning - you're fired 'for cause'.

It stinks and it's partly why - almost without exception - there is no company/employee loyalty anymore, anywhere. Retail probably is one of the worst offenders but I've seen plenty of other business that pulled the same thing on good employees that they felt were no longer needed - or wanted.

Unit 5302 is correct about your former boss filing a lawsuit against the company, but you have to be fired first (just treating you harshly isn't really grounds for a lawsuit, otherwise we could ALL sue our bosses). Meanwhile, the poor guy has no job, probably no unemployment insurance (remember, he would have been fired for 'cause'; 'poor job performance' - and his prospect of finding a similar meat managers job would be harmed by the fact that - you guessed it - he was fired for 'cause'). Tough deal. Of course, if he could find a good-enough job to keep him going financially until the suit was heard he might survive, but the very fact that he was fired for cause then filed a lawsuit would make him poison to other stores who would now be very wary of him. They would fear that he might perform poorly for them, then sue if they let him go. Who wants to deal with that? Add to all that; he's pushing 50.
Now you can see why - assuming your former boss knew all this - he was in deep despair to the point of seeing no hope and ending it all.

A tragic story and one that happens all too often.

Like most folks, I've had jobs I loved, jobs I liked and jobs that I loathed but I never felt that what I did for a living determined my worth as a human being. The job was what I did - not who I was (or still am for that matter). If it went badly and I lost that job, I would find another. I quickly learned that getting screwed over by bosses was quite routine in the working world but could often be avoided (which I have) and that being fired was not really the end of the world.

This whole story is, as I said (boldly stating the obvious) tragic, but a lesson in life for some and an example of how 'what goes around - comes around'. One good man died, another creep - who precipitated the whole sad situation - is fired.
Not really much 'justice' there, but sometimes in life, we have to take what we can get.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
Capri306

Quote:
Retail is a tough business. For several years, I was a store manager for a chain of auto parts stores.

Managers were very seldom promoted from within. Most of the District managers were hired from non auto related businesses. I had one who was a district manager for a lady's clothing store, another a shoe store manager and so on.

They didn't know an oil filter from a brake caliper, but were hired anyway. Snotty "I'm a boss" attitude. They really thought they knew their stuff, but didn't know jack.

I finally got fed up and quit.
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I'm in a very similar position, though I'm just one of the peon managers at a retail auto parts chain. I can't stand some of the middle & upper management sometimes, mostly that "I'm the boss and that's that" attitude; they haven't a clue about what they're selling or who they're selling it to, much less what the end result will be if they don't start finding all this out. All they see are dollar signs, and you aren't a person, you're just a number with a position, and it takes $X.xx per hour to keep you here. If they could just build a STRONG foundation of people from within who know the ropes and have been around long enough to see how things are run.....well, situations like those told here wouldn't happen as much. I'm a firm believer that if something's working, stick with it. However, I'm not in charge of things, so my opinion isn't worth jack. Okay, rant over. I'm off to work.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote