MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-30-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Manditory Military Service Bill in congress..

I think this is a bunch of BS.......http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/...ary/index.html
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

He makes some really interesting pionts on his reasons for madatory military service. This will never happen, but i do like his reasoning for trying to pass it. Sure everyone is all gun ho about going to war with Iraq and everything but they don't have family memebers or loved ones that have to do it. Most military service members are too. I know my unit and commander is excited about the possibilites of going to war but I bet if you ask any of our mothers or suposes they don't like it very much. I see his point in that if congress memebers or the President himself had a couple of sons or daughters in the military the US wouldn't be so quick to go to war. Don't get me wrong the men and women of the Military are very willing and ready to go and kick some serious butt including me but, Like i said either I know alot of peoples wives and mothers aren't. I know my aren't.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Patriotism and the draft

This is a cynical ploy by ultra-liberal Bush-hater and New Yawk Congressman Charlie Rangel. He hopes that he can make the U.S. ineffective by making military service mandatory. This would generate the kind of opposition to any U.S. military action (such as existed during the hotly debated Viet Nam war) and as a nice side benefit, make the very popular President George W. Bush suddenly the very unpopular president as millions of young people protested being drafted and sent overseas to fight and possibly die. Of course, to Congressman Charlie, nothing the U.S. military does is justified. We're all just imperialists to Mr. Rangel.

Rangel's smug assertions that support for military interventions would evaporate if young people were subject to the draft may not be as true as the Congressman assumes but as this is a non-starter, he'll get his 15 minutes of fame and TV time to spread his little anti-war message around and then be forgotten., as he should be. It's amazing to me that after 9/11, we still have idiots like Charlie Rangel in the congress, fighting President Bush all the way as he strives to eliminate the terrorist threat to the U.S.

It's all just politics to this guy and his soon-to-be-filed bill is also just a tool to frighten people and make military action in Iraq somehow seem a bad thing. No one is going to back a draft and Bush doesn't need one. If it ever gets that bad, we'll all be lining up to join the military, despite what cynics like Charlie Rangel believe. Patriotism lives in America and political cynics just don't understand that. Their loss.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
Janeofalltrades

Default author says it all.

I try to stay out of the Religion and Political areans, but, Democrat, Republican or Independant the author, Congressman Charles Rangel, says it all......

Good points gentelmen... Nice discussion and Thanks...

~Jenn~
Old 12-30-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I must say that I agree with Mr 5 0

...very well stated, as usual.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:17 AM   #6
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Who does this idiot think he is? His stupid bill will never pass in Congress. It's just like he stated: the Iraq war resolution passed in both houses. So what the hell is he thinking that his bill will pass?

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I saw this yesterday and the first thing that came to mind is that this moron is pretty much saying that this generation of young people and their parents are afraid of conflict and that they would run from a fight if it meant having to make a stand. He is typical of the liberal wimps that permiate Washington and 49.9 percent of the rest of the country. Hell,. . . let's form a committe first, see if we can buy our way out of the mess. If we can't do that let's show how compassionate we are and make a formal protest of the cruel actions we might perpetrate in the land of sand. Sanctions will work . . .won't they?
Get ole Pup Daschle outside and see if we can use his big flappy mouth to undermine the efforts of the military by making Iraq think the whole country is opposed to any type of military action. What's that. . can't get the weasel out from under the porch?.. .oh well. Even ole Slick Willie is in favor of rooting out Mr. Raghead Hoosane and sending him to an island somewhere in the south Pacific.
Now that I've got that out of my craw,
I'm not for any kind of military action anywhere. Period. There's other ways to deal with the likes of Sadman. I don't always get my way though. My oldest son is a Marine now and I find myself hoping my ideas on what we need to do in Iraq (or anywhere else for that matter) aren't aimed in the wrong direction because I stand to lose something I have my entire being invested in, my son. I also know how devastating it would be for him if I didn't support what he is and what that might stand for, or lead to.
Would the draft make me less willing to stand and fight? No. I volunteered to serve in the Army in 1972, war notwithstanding, and there are hundreds of thousands of kids in the military today who knew there was a good chance we would end up in some kind of mess before they got out. Right now the Marines are graduating close to a thousand kids a month from Boot camp and do you figure they all think there wasn't going to be a war on the horizon?
I think Mr Rangel should take another look at the kids today and come up with another reason to make us run and hide. I have every faith in the generation who's going to have to do our fighting for us and it's high time crap like him start to think it as well. I'm not foolish enough to think there won't be some folks who wouldnt' want to fight a war and I respect that. Rangel is even going so far as proposing we conscript kids who don't want to fight into a period of slavery to make sure everyone gets drafted for something. Who is going to pay for that? We are having a tough time payng for the troops we have, what happens when he drafts thousands more just for the sake of drafting them?
Let's see, isn't that kinda like communism? Slavery Light? "The new order of conscripted servants"
I'll shut up now. And for those who are wondering, I do have another son who is of draft age and yes he's threatening to join. I can promise anyone who wonders, that if the draft appears, he'll join before it happens. I don't like it much, but I'll support him just the same. Lots of prayers and lots of hope. What more can you do?
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MEDIK418
I saw this yesterday and the first thing that came to mind is that this moron is pretty much saying that this generation of young people and their parents are afraid of conflict and that they would run from a fight if it meant having to make a stand. He is typical of the liberal wimps that permiate Washington and 49.9 percent of the rest of the country. Hell,. . . let's form a committe first, see if we can buy our way out of the mess. If we can't do that let's show how compassionate we are and make a formal protest of the cruel actions we might perpetrate in the land of sand. Sanctions will work . . .won't they?
Get ole Pup Daschle outside and see if we can use his big flappy mouth to undermine the efforts of the military by making Iraq think the whole country is opposed to any type of military action. What's that. . can't get the weasel out from under the porch?.. .oh well. Even ole Slick Willie is in favor of rooting out Mr. Raghead Hoosane and sending him to an island somewhere in the south Pacific.
Now that I've got that out of my craw,
I'm not for any kind of military action anywhere. Period. There's other ways to deal with the likes of Sadman. I don't always get my way though. My oldest son is a Marine now and I find myself hoping my ideas on what we need to do in Iraq (or anywhere else for that matter) aren't aimed in the wrong direction because I stand to lose something I have my entire being invested in, my son. I also know how devastating it would be for him if I didn't support what he is and what that might stand for, or lead to.
Would the draft make me less willing to stand and fight? No. I volunteered to serve in the Army in 1972, war notwithstanding, and there are hundreds of thousands of kids in the military today who knew there was a good chance we would end up in some kind of mess before they got out. Right now the Marines are graduating close to a thousand kids a month from Boot camp and do you figure they all think there wasn't going to be a war on the horizon?
I think Mr Rangel should take another look at the kids today and come up with another reason to make us run and hide. I have every faith in the generation who's going to have to do our fighting for us and it's high time crap like him start to think it as well. I'm not foolish enough to think there won't be some folks who wouldnt' want to fight a war and I respect that. Rangel is even going so far as proposing we conscript kids who don't want to fight into a period of slavery to make sure everyone gets drafted for something. Who is going to pay for that? We are having a tough time payng for the troops we have, what happens when he drafts thousands more just for the sake of drafting them?
Let's see, isn't that kinda like communism? Slavery Light? "The new order of conscripted servants"
I'll shut up now. And for those who are wondering, I do have another son who is of draft age and yes he's threatening to join. I can promise anyone who wonders, that if the draft appears, he'll join before it happens. I don't like it much, but I'll support him just the same. Lots of prayers and lots of hope. What more can you do?
Damn dude that was a pretty good rant
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Ever start typing something and find yourself standing on the chair before it's done? What can I say? I'm workin nights and last night was quiet but still, I had other things I could'a been doin. I feel better now. . . .time for my pill.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
Janeofalltrades

Medik418 Wrote: "Ever start typing something and find yourself standing on the chair before it's done? What can I say? I'm workin nights and last night was quiet but still, I had other things I could'a been doin. I feel better now. . . .time for my pill."

Hey Medik.....Well done...The father of two Teenage boys and being a night shift EMS will get you a biggggggggggggg credit on the No Problem scale and .........I kept mine to "...... the author, Congressman Charles Rangel, says it all......"

LOL...I would not venture to say it as eloquently as you did Sir, but point made....

~Jenn~
Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 PM   #11
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

originally posted by Mr.5.0
Quote:
This would generate the kind of opposition to any U.S. military action (such as existed during the hotly debated Viet Nam war) and as a nice side benefit, make the very popular President George W. Bush suddenly the very unpopular president as millions of young people protested being drafted and sent overseas to fight and possibly die
If this would make Bush unpopular, and it will, why did I hear on the news that Bush will reinstate the draft if we go to war with Iraq and North Korea? How does everyone feel about this? I myself don't care for the idea, however in high school years ago I wanted to enlist but a medical condition prohibited me from doing so.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:50 AM   #12
Capri306

Quote:
If this would make Bush unpopular, and it will, why did I hear on the news that Bush will reinstate the draft if we go to war with Iraq and North Korea? How does everyone feel about this?
I say if you're not willing to fight for your freedom when called upon, you have no business living in the United States of America.

War with Iraq, more than likely, won't be as messy as one with NK. Have you read some of the clippings from communist (the only type ALLOWED) newspapers there??? OMG, these fuukers are INSANE! I thought I was reading something Adolf Hitler wrote about how he was going to conquer the Earth! Things about their, "Invincible Leader," and, "the People's Army will win and smash the United States," and, "the Evil Dragon from Satan's *** that the United States is".....okay, I embellished that last one, but you get the point.

They really are BENT on DESTROYING us, and I'm not even certain that the NK's are not as suicidal as the Iraqis, simply because the NK's situation is desperate, as stated above.

Which do you fear more?
-- Hardcore Communists who are starving and dying, and have nuclear weapons that they will use against you to get what they want, or
-- Extremist muslim iraqis who think they go to heaven if they blow themselves up, and who also may possess nuclear arms?

Tough call...and I don't think I'm going to make a decision about the two until it's already underway.

Hey, anyone that remembers WWII history knows that Germany, Japan, and Italy all teamed up to try and kick our ***. They were the Axis Powers. Axis powers --> Axis of Evil??? Any light bulbs coming on? Who's to say the crazy bastards won't team up here? I could see NK, Iraq, and possibly Pakistan and Palestinians acting as a single force just as the Axis powers did in WWII.

I pray we take them all out before we suffer any more attacks against Americans AND Christians, home or abroad. I wanna kill that MOFO that shot 3 ppl in Pakistan for "preaching Christianity."

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:19 PM   #13
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

I never said I wouldn't fight for my country. Like I said before I wanted to enlist when I was in high school, but I can't. I can't be drafted. I have a medical condition that prevents me from joining. Yeah I know the NK's want us dead but then again who doesn't now days? I say waste 'em.
Even though I come from a family that has a strong military background I still don't like the draft. I just don't agree with it. Signing up is one thing but being forced is another, but that is my opinion.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:43 AM   #14
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

i'm kinda in a predicament, i'm not in school right now, so i'm up for bullet bait if a draft should come...
but God has a master plan for me (whatever it is). an if its to defend my country from the forces of darkness an to take out as many of these ruthless, heathen SOB's who prohibit the right for all people to live in peace an freedom, than so be it.. bring it on...

my newest fAVORITE QUOTE IS A MARINE QUOTE.

"ITS UP TO GOD TO JUDGE osama' s SOUL.
ITS UP TO US TO ARANGE THE MEETING..

THATS PURE GOLD

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Dictators vs America

Originally posted by Capri306

Quote:
I pray we take them all out before we suffer any more attacks against Americans AND Christians, home or abroad. I wanna kill that MOFO that shot 3 ppl in Pakistan for "preaching Christianity."
Yes, it's bad out there and it has little to do with the people of the United States but a lot to do with insane dictators with unlimited (local) power, unaccountable to anyone, who are letting their people starve, as Kim Jong does in North Korea, while waving nuclear weapons around and making absurd threats. Saddam Hussein is almost as bad, distracting his own massive failures and oppression of his people under the guise of 'fighting' the U.S. aggressors, blah, blah, blah. Unfortunately, the people of Iraq and North Korea get only the wildly distorted 'news' the government wants them to know, which is all anti-U.S. and full of brave and silly statements about 'destroying' America. Please.

One nuke into South Korea or worse yet, Japan and North Korea is toast, literally. Japan has the capability to destroy North Korea (thanks to the U.S.) and will do so if threatened. No love lost there. Same with South Korea. I believe North Korea is simply using our distraction with the upcoming invasion of Iraq to pull their stunts and get some non-aggression agreements and more aid but it won't fly. President Bush is not going to be blackmailed into helping North Korea and any sign of them attempting to use nuclear weapons on their neighbors will be met with a counter-attack from the neighboring country and the U.S. or at least, with our full assistance.

These cheesy little dictatorships that somehow believe they can do as they wish to U.S. citizens will have to be brought down, one way or the other, and they will. Invading Iraq and deposing Saddam will go a long way in showing that the U.S. is no longer a paper tiger with a frat-boy poll-watcher in charge. It's a complicated and messy business and it does take time but President Bush is a patient man and far smarter than his detractors will ever admit, both politically and in his grasp of foreign affairs and how to deal with terrorists and rogue nations bent on confronting the United States. While 'nuking them' is probably not in the cards, it could happen and in any case, nuts like Kim Jong in North Korea will be dealt with, effectively, one way or another.

Oh, and we won't need a draft to do it.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
Capri306

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I swear, my IQ is raised another point or so each time I read one of your posts. I must be floating around 54 now.

I think you clarified what I meant to say, regarding taking down these people in power poking and prodding us, instead of just "nuking 'em all." When I said, "take them all out," yes that's what I meant. We'd be the true "Satanists" they make us out to be if we launched an attack like that upon the world.

Do these coutries and leaders not realize we could destroy all life on Earth within minutes? Don't they realize the awesome power we hold? Do they know that we only want good in the world? Sorry, I just hate the stupidity of these crazy mofo's that want to destroy us. Must be the "jealous girlfriend" syndrome. We have freedom they only dream of.

It is going to take a man with gigantic balls AND patience, as you said, to take out the America-hating warmongers in the world like saddam and osama (noncapitalized on purpose). I hope too that taking out one will unmake the rest, or at least make them back down.

On a side note, I have thought out some more scenarios:

1. We take down saddam. Islamic fundamentalist (aka WACKO) nations get miffed. al qaida gets miffed. They decide to strike back. Not sure how, but remember they are a vengeful people. Just look at the palestinians blowing themselves up.

2. (This is the one I'm hoping for) We take down saddam. North Korea sees us distracted and does something dumb. One of our allies "covers our back," and 2 of 3 nations in the axis of evil are eliminated. One to go.

3. (My favorite b/c it involves revolution) Iraq lauches an attack on Israel, our cue to accomplish 2 goals: 1. Defend Israel, and 2. Annihilate saddam. Iran/other wackos get miffed. They try to attack us. We launch an assault on the region. We win, end of story. Freedom is given to millions whom have never known its true meaning until now. NK decides it's too impoverished to even TRY anything rash, so it's back to the "disarmament for food" binge. Or better yet, the people of NK decide to stop being sheep and take down the government in a short revolution, like the one that took down Slobodan Milosavik(sp?). Our allies step in and introduce democracy to them, giving freedom to millions more people.

Personally, I'm not so intent on destroying the people behind the ideas rather than the ideas themselves, like getting people in NK to abandon communism, and the people of Iraq/Iran/Pakistan/Palestine to abandon their insane leaders and radial beliefs. However, in this world it is only done by force which involves killing. Having said that, it's going to be a bloodbath before it's all over.

Okay, that's only an abbreviated list. Thanks again for the feedback, Jim. You ROCK!

Back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION! Yeah, that Charlie Rangel is psychotic as most liberals are. I saw him in an interview on the Today Show(?), and I am NOT impressed. This ain't Switzerland, buddy. Our military swings a bigger stick than anyone else, so until such time that it is absolutely NEEDED to keep our military on top, fugedaboudit.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: