MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Angry Qwest DSL Service Bites

Yeah, yeah... I know what you are thinking. It's Code Red taking down the DSL servers. BS. Qwest has given me shitty *** service with a monopoly on this market since I got it.

First, I had to wait 3 weeks to hook up, when I signed up, they couldn't offer me the service because they had no more capacity. Well, shock of shocks, they must still be over capcacity, 80% of the time I connect it's way slower than what it should be. Of course they have a lying sack of crap status window that is set at 640,000k connection. That has never ever even once deviated from that number, but the speed of my service can be 3x faster than average easy.

Qwest has a giant monopoly here on DSL. It's crazy. You have to use their ISP to connect as well. Of course, you can use other "local" ISP's as well, but they have to buy their service from Qwest. Isn't that a nice little cycle of BS.

On to billing. First 60 days was supposed to be free. BS again. They billed for a month when I didn't even have the ISP or the DSL installed. They were supposed to credit for that, guess what, never did. So I've been billed $90 more than what I was supposed to be, and I get crappy service to boot. It probably fails to connect at all due to volume being too high for their existing customers on their servers 10% or more of the time. I have to wait some times up to 3-4 min just to connect to my fricken DSL line, which can connect in as little as about 10sec.

I know, everybody with a dial-up is like (big deal, Mr. Bandwidth is having a rough time). Consider this though, I pay $70 fricken bucks a month to have this **** service. $17.95 for Qwest ISP, $29.95 for Qwest DSL Preferred Service (so I don't automatically get disconnected every 2 hours), and $21.95 for AOL, so I can still actually connect when DSL takes a dump (at least once a week). Add my taxes into that, and that's $70 a MONTH.

This is ridiculous. I'm pissed. You can't dispute the charges with them either, they are the phone company. A-holes!

I think it's time to disconnect from their BS.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 12:57 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Are you out of MediaOne's area for cable modem service? 1.5 meg down, 300k up. ISP included. I think it's $49.95 now.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 08:53 AM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

That sucks dude. Like Jimberg said try a cable modem if you can. I work for Cox CableRep so I get mine free. I can't compare to any DSL's as I have never gone that route but I can say with confidence that since day one I have had no problems with the cable modem. I'm sure there's ups and downs to either choice but I have never noticed mine being slow and i've never been disconnected once. Just food for thought.

Good Luck,
Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 04:45 PM   #4
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

you guys are getting ripped off....i pay 48 dollars canadaian a month and that includes the taxes and rental of t6he modem.......mine isn't as fast as i think it should be either cause when playing games i still lag sometimes....no it isn't my cpu it is not that old

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
RAGE_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 07:07 PM   #5
Five0
Registered Member

I used to work for media one before they were sold to AT&T and I have installed many of cable modems and at one of the customer’s house he had dsl and wanted to compare the speed of the two.

I kept checking back with him and trying to find out which one was faster so I could get an comparison between the two and the cable modem was consistently faster.

I hate AT&T for personal reasons and hate to give them service but it is the fastest connection around that I can afford.

My mom had been working for AT&T for almost 30 years and was about to retire with full benefits when they sold universal card and she lost all her retirement and they would not give her early retirement after they found out that they could get away with giving her nothing she went with the sale to city bank and took a big pay cut. Repayment for almost 30 years of service.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 07:23 PM   #6
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

if anyone ever did that to my parents or grand parnets i would ***** so much the company would get a bad name or got ot the head office and punch someone out.......i like the later of the 2 better....more fun

------------------
not for long
Old 08-01-2001, 07:32 PM   #7
Five0
Registered Member

She has a few friends that are in the same boat and they have a lawsuit against AT&T.
I hope they win but it does not look good.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:42 PM   #8
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

u guys should join in
thje more hte better when it comes to lawsuits

------------------
not for long
Old 08-01-2001, 08:43 PM   #9
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I have had mine ADLS for about 2 years and Only one day it was down the whole time I have had it. I get mine from Covnet. I was The first house around with it. I download from most sites around 150K and It will get up to 1100K yes that is right 1.1Mb a sec. cable modems around here are slow at lest one day a week 20-40K I all that they will do and on the other days it is around 100-300K
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 11:22 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Five0:

My mom had been working for AT&T for almost 30 years and was about to retire with full benefits when they sold universal card and she lost all her retirement and they would not give her early retirement after they found out that they could get away with giving her nothing she went with the sale to city bank and took a big pay cut. Repayment for almost 30 years of service.
Retirement benefits are fully protected by law. Nobody can legally touch them regardless of mergers etc. The only thing that can happen, I believe, is bankruptcy, in which case, your retirement benefits just stop growing.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 07:44 AM   #11
Five0
Registered Member

She still has her 401 but at&t has a good retirement that they screwed her out of when she got sold with city bank.

She still works there today and would have been retired a long time ago if not for at&t.

I am not sure off all the details but I know there are a lot of people pissed off and have a law suits against them.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft