MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 11:32 PM   #1
macx
Registered Member

Post WARNING!! Fed wants to tax email!! Read!

House Bill 602P now pending would allow the Fed govt to tax internet providers 5 cents for every delivered email and give the money to the US Post Office who's complaining about the competition!! Pass this along to everyone you know NOW and EMAIL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!
Old 03-20-2001, 11:53 PM   #2
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Is this for real?!? Is there somewhere I can read about this? I hope this is another urban legend. I write about 20 emails a day... and what about all the email transactions that go on at work? 5 cents is pretty steep. Man, they get in the a$$ any way they can!

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Adustable Lower Control Arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, SSM Upper Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
Old 03-21-2001, 12:32 AM   #3
ed1371
Registered Member

I am sure this is going to be moved to the lounge...

They have been trying to pass that for a couple years now...it wont happen.

why?

because the US postal service doesn't have anything to do with the e-mails we send. (fed ex and UPS dont pay the postal service a tax on each package...do you think ISP's will? no...

I am guessing that you got an e-mail from someone about this...It is usually used as ammo for a chain letter...

It has been on the news before but it was generally given the attitude that hell would freeze before it passing...

Old 03-21-2001, 12:55 AM   #4
rbatson

I get this email from time to time. I really don't see how they can get paid for a service they don't provide. If anything like that ever did happen I would just quit sending emails altogether. Its not cutting into their(post office) business. I still have to mail my bills just like I did 10 years ago. I never sent any other mail, maybe I can email my creditors some IOUs . I guess next they are going to make me pay for the phone calls I make if ever I pay my bills by phone. Forget about it.

Old 03-21-2001, 05:49 AM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by ed1371:
I am sure this is going to be moved to the lounge...
They have been trying to pass that for a couple years now...it wont happen.
why?
because the US postal service doesn't have anything to do with the e-mails we send. (fed ex and UPS dont pay the postal service a tax on each package...do you think ISP's will? no...
I am guessing that you got an e-mail from someone about this...It is usually used as ammo for a chain letter...
It has been on the news before but it was generally given the attitude that hell would freeze before it passing...
Yep.

Chain letters PISS ME OFF!

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Old 03-21-2001, 08:39 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

That is completely BOGUS. Don't believe these chain letters that people send you. Especially if they say to send it to all of your friends. It is a scam for Spam agencies to gather emails. I tell all my friends not to send me stuff like that because your email address ends up on thousands of computers whenever a message is sent to you and 15 other people at the same time.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
Old 03-21-2001, 06:00 PM   #7
Five0
Registered Member

Even if they did pass a law like that it would not work because the internet it all over the world and other countrys would provide the e-mail servers and you could use them and nothing the states could do about it.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft
Old 03-21-2001, 08:32 PM   #8
fordgasm
Registered Member

Exclamation

I recently received the following email regarding this topic.

VOTE NO ON Bill 602P!!!!

I guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per E-mail Sent. It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was coming! Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent charge on every delivered
Email.

Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay online, and continue using E-mail. The last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the Government of the
United States attempting to quietly push through legislation that will affect our use of the Internet.

Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be attempting to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage fees." Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government
to charge a 5- cent surcharge on every E-mail delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP.

Washington, DC lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law. The US Postal Service is claiming lost revenue, due to the
proliferation of E-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. You may have noticed their recent ad campaign: "There is nothing like a letter."

Since the average person received about 10 pieces of E-mail per day in 1998, the cost of the typical individual would be an additional 50 cents a day-or over $180 per
year-above and beyond their regular Internet costs. Note that this would be money paid directly to the US Postal Service for a service they do not even provide. The whole
point of the Internet is democracy and noninterference. You are already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of bureaucratic efficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be delivered from coast to coast. If the US Postal Service is allowed to tinker with E-mail, it
will mark the end of the "free" Internet in the United States. Our congressional representative, Tony Schnell has
even suggested a "$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and beyond the governments proposed E-mail charges Note that most of the major
newspapers have ignored the story-the only exception being the Washingtonian - which called the idea of E-mail surcharge "a useful concept who's time has come" (March 6th,1999 Editorial).

Do not sit by and watch your freedom erode away! Send this E-mail to EVERYONE on your list, and tell all your friends and relatives write their congressional
representative and say "NO" to Bill 602P. It will only take a few moments of your time and could very well be instrumental in killing a bill we do not want.

I then received a response from a freind who had this to say.

This is a hoax. More recent versions of the hoax have added on a warning about how Congress is about to pass legislation allowing telephone companies to charge toll fees for Internet access.

'602P' is not a valid name for a Congressional bill. Bills in the House of
Representative are prefaced with 'H.R.'. Bills in the Senate are prefaced
with 'S.'

Congressman Tony Schnell does not exist.

Lawyer Richard Stepp does not exist.

The law firm of 'Berger, Stepp and Gorman' does not exist.

As for per-minute charges for Internet access, the FCC, not the United States
Congress, considered proposals to allow them but rejected the proposals in February

Thus, the manner in which consumers pay for Internet access is not before the
Commission and the Commission repeatedly has stated that it will not change the
manner in which consumers obtain and pay for Internet access. Rumors to the contrary
persist, however, and the FCC has received hundreds of thousands of e-mails on the
subject over the last two years.

This hoax started life as a bill supposedly being considered in Canada (and no, it is
not true there either). Someone changed all the Canadian references to American
references and yet another Internet hoax was born.

Recently variations have appeared that include warnings about toll fees for
Internet access.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Moved to the Blue Oval Lounge where it belongs.

This is a tech forum, not a 'chat' forum; please use it for tech posts only, thanks.

------------------
Mr. 5.0
Messageboard Administrator
Closed Thread