MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default need opinions on 90 lx for 7 grand ASAP

i am looking at possibly purchasing a 90 lx from a guy in NJ for 7 grand . It icludes the following. Please let me know what you guys think. I have only a few days to think abou it. Plus I wont be able to test drive her since he lives in NJ and Im in NY. Everything he is telling me is based on trust, but the pictures make the car look very nice.

IS IT WORTH THE 7 GRAND IF EVERYTHING IS TRUE???

THANKS FOR READING!!

This is a very nice 1990 mustang lx 5.0 hatchback. If you are looking for a very fast driver then this is the car for you. A lot of time and money was invested to make this car what it is. I will give you a list of everything that was done to the car. Complete short block prepared by P and W automotive which includes blueprinting and balancing, new pistons , rings and all new bearings and high flow oil pump. Holley systemax engine kit including 1.94 intake and 1.60 size valve aluminum heads. Roller rockers. 512 lift cam. And complete upper and lower intake. 30# injectors. BBK 155lph intank pump and adj fuel regulator. pro M bullet mass air meter with bbk cold air intake. 70 mm throttle body and egr plate. jacobs ignition system. edelbrock water pump. bbk 1 5\8 longtube headers with matching h pipe with cats and flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust. stock t-5 trans with b and m ripper shifter and a new cobra clutch. 3.55 gears with rebuilt limited slip. bbk subframe connectors welded in place. new brakes all the way around.... disk in front drum in back. 4 new bfg g-force rubber on each corner 225/50/16 in front and 245/50/16 in back. New radiator, starter, hoses, power steering rack, motor mounts, headlite assembly and probably some other things that I am forgetting. Interior is pretty much stock except for the white faced gauges and the pillar pod with water, oil and volts. sony cd player with jbl speakers in front and pioneers in back with help of a 10 inch jbl sub mounted in the spare tire hole and a 400 watt amp. I also have a ton of spare stock parts and things which I will give with the car. Ive had this car to the track a few times and could only manage a 13.2 at 105 due to not hooking up at launch. This is a fast, good looking and reliable car for anybody to drive. Ive added up all my reciepts and it totals over 10000

Vehicle Condition

overall great condition. the only spot that catches my attention is on the driver door lock which looks like someone tryed to break in with no luck so the paint is a little chipped. Also on the driver side top of the fender next to the hood gap there is a small chip. Driver door weatherstripping could be replaced. The stripes are just stickers so if you dont like them they should come off easilly. The engine and everything listed was done at 97000 miles last september. Other than that just give it a little cleaning and it will look great. You wont be disappointed.
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Just doing the add on math in my head I would say he spent around 3000 on add ons,combine that with an average of 2500 to 3500 (in my area) for that car in good condition stock,depending on rust,body damage etc. it should be worth around 6000.00 with depreciation of parts(you never get back what you put in one). and seeing that you havent actually seen this car in person,I would advise you to go and LOOK,DRIVE and evaluate first.Personally after seeing the add on mods,I would offer no more than 6 grand,but I dont know what they go for up north either,we have tons of those here in Fla. with similar mods for under 5000.00,each car has to be evaluated on it's own merits tho. thats my 2 cents and I buy and sell alot of cars. yours may vary.
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO. that scares me not seeing the car first. I should buy the car from FLA., then again I wouldnt be able to see it first. MAybe I will have friends who live in texas look for me. ANyone know how numch it would be to have the car shipped to NY or driven by someone? thanks again!
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 12-31-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
mimicons
Registered Member

Without driving the car, I'd be a bit worried. The mods sound great, but that also means that this vehicle has probably been driven pretty hard. LX Hatch's are more prevalent than notch's, so they tend to sell for a bit less here in the SE.

The car sounds good on paper, though. Good luck!

MC
mimicons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:47 AM   #5
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

does it help if the new mods to the motor were done only 5000 miles ago? Also, has anyone ever purchased something from ebay? this is actually where im seeing it. I didnt want to say that cause I figure one of you guys (haha) would go and bid on it!! you think it is worth 6 grand or should i put 5500 for it? Thanks again

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 12-31-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
LayanRubr
Registered Member

Try 5500. Or you could also try to get an inspector to look at it for you (for a price???) Just look on ebay for all that shiznizzle. Anyhow I wouldnt pay above 6k for this car and it should be CLEAN which is sounds so far. Just better run good
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:20 PM   #7
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

One thing you might not know is that the heads that come with the Holley kit use oil. At least mine do, and Holley customer service people told me they have alot of people complaining about oil useage with the Brodix 1.94 1.60 heads. Just something you might be interested in if you plan on buying. Oh yeah, and that kit will run 3k to install by itself. Hope that helps

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #8
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

thanks for the info. So the actual 302 block is stock, right? Also, i emailed him separately and he sadi that it deosnt leak a drop of oil from the motor but he did write this to me-

I personally have never driven the car in snow or rain in the past year and a half that i have owned it. I have not seen any rust on the car other than a few bolts and lines over the rear axle area and thats it. It looks to me like the car hasnt seen much wet weather or anything. The oil doesnt drip at all it just keeps the surrounding area wet. I havent had to add any oil since I put the engine and trans in the car. It shouldnt be an expenisve fix... probably just a seal. I just never fixed it cause it never really leaks on the ground.

- thats not a big deal right? Also, how much oil does the heads take on a regular basis? The bid is at 3100 right now maybe i will put 5500 as my max and see what happens. there has to be some protection for me if this car runs like crap and leaks oil. But maybe it does run very good!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #9
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

well the car did not sell on ebay so the owner still has it. i emailed him and asked what his plans were now. he told me he wanted to get as close to 7 grand as possible becasue he has 10 grand in it. what is the absolute highest you guys would spend on this 90 lx? i am still in touch with him and could possibly still buy this car and then sell mine. Do you think the 13.2 is true too?? thanks for all replies-

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #10
LayanRubr
Registered Member

I wouldnt pay 7k for it unless it is PRESTINE (spelt?) anyhow look around as well for other cars if its too much. Theres a lot of 5.0's out there!
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #11
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

i am going to offer him 6 grand for it. for a car i havent even driven or personally seen, i think this is a good price. Plus, I am going to have to get it to my place somehow without driving it through thte snow (5 hours away)! thanks all-

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #12
CADreamin
Registered Member

I don't want to tell you your business, but I wouldn't offer 6 grand for anything sight unseen. If you have the money to buy this car, then you can probably throw together a few hundred dollars to travel to wherever the car is to check it out.

I think things would be better for both parties if you honestly said you wanted to look first, and offered the money if it looked good, rather than offering up the money and risking hard feelings if you go up and the car doesn't look so good.

But that's just my opinion. I've bought a lemon or two in my life - enough to be anal-retentive about checking things over...

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #13
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

yeah i tagree with what your saying 100%. I would say that I can give 6 grand if i find that everything he said is true. I will email him and see what he says, however I doubt he will even sell it for under 6800! I have seen 5 pictures of it. interior looks very nice and exterior looks good as well from what i can see. But like you said, it is sight "unseen"!!

75 shot of nitrous!