MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
1969 Stang
Registered Member

Default a minute of silence please

Chick Hearn died today at 6:30pm...He will be greatly missed. If you couldn't be one of the lucky people watching tv he made it just as good if not better when you are listing to the radio. Or if your in the other room...We have lost a great person...for those that didnt know him he was the annonser for the lakers. He hit his head on saturday I think...I hope you all will keep him in your prayers even if you didn't know him. If I messed up any facts please just post them...he will be missed.

God be with you Mr. Hearn.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #37
1969 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Chick Hearn

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Chick Hearn, who made phrases like "slam dunk'' and "air ball'' common basketball expressions during his 42-year broadcasting career with the Los Angeles Lakers, died Monday night. He was 85.

Hearn, the only play-by-play announcer the Los Angeles Lakers ever had, died at 6:30 p.m. at Northridge Medical Center Hospital, team spokesman Bob Steiner told a grim-faced news conference outside the hospital.

Hearn was taken to the hospital Friday night after falling and striking his head in the back yard of the Encino home he shared with his wife, Marge. The two would have celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary on Aug. 13.

Surgeons operated twice on Saturday to relieve swelling in his brain, but he never regained consciousness.

Hearn called a record 3,338 consecutive Lakers games starting in 1965 before missing a game because he had to have an operation in December 2001 for a blocked aortic valve.

While recovering, he fell and broke his hip.

Despite that setback, he returned to work April 9 and broadcast the Lakers' playoff run to their third consecutive NBA championship.

He called his first Lakers game in March 1961. His last game was June 12 when the Lakers beat the New Jersey Nets 113-107 in East Rutherford, N.J., to complete a sweep of the NBA Finals and earn their ninth title since moving from Minneapolis in 1960.

During the finals, he told The Associated Press he was getting stronger every day and planned to work at least one more season. And he said he believed his call of the Lakers' Game 7 victory over Sacramento in the Western Conference finals might have been as good as any in his career.

As recently as last week, he drove to Las Vegas with his wife to speak at a fantasy basketball camp.

Born Francis Dayle Hearn on Nov. 27, 1916, in Aurora, Ill., Hearn peppered his rapid-fire delivery with terms like ``no harm, no foul,'' ``the mustard's off the hot dog,'' ``ticky-tack foul,'' and ``faked him into the popcorn machine.''

Whenever he believed a Lakers victory was clinched, Hearn would say: "You can put this one in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O is jiggling.''

Hearn also was a comforting voice to fans in difficult basketball times - helping fans cope with Johnson's HIV announcement in 1991 and Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers' death in 1990.

When the Lakers moved from the Forum in nearby Inglewood to the downtown Staples Center in 1999, the press room was named in Hearn's honor.

He has been immortalized with a star on Hollywood's ``Walk of Fame,'' and appeared as himself numerous times on television shows - including the TV movie ``The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island.''

And he hosted the TV show ``Bowling for Dollars.''

Hearn missed just two games before his unprecedented streak - one because bad weather kept him grounded and one because he had another broadcast assignment.

The first game of the streak was Nov. 21, 1965, at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. Johnson was in grade school and Abdul-Jabbar was still Lew Alcindor and a teenager.

Throughout his career, Hearn refused to call in sick. He came to work when he wasn't feeling well - including a couple of times with laryngitis that forced him to sit out the second half.

A member of the Basketball Hall of Fame and the American Sportscasters Hall of Fame, Hearn received a standing ovation on his 85th birthday in November during a Lakers-Milwaukee Bucks game.

He got his nickname when friends played a prank on him when he was an amateur player. Given a box he thought contained sneakers, he found a chicken inside.

Hearn kept few secrets from Lakers fans. But he didn't like to talk about his age.

After he reached 70 or so, he would only chuckle and say, "I don't know, I lost my birth certificate.'

Hearn's death leaves Los Angeles with two Hall of Fame broadcasters - Vin Scully of the Dodgers and Bob Miller of the Kings.

The Hearns had two children, but both died - a son of a drug overdose, and a daughter after battling anorexia. The couple was very close with Shannon, their granddaughter, and her family.

Rest in Peace
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Unhappy Dark day in LA

The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the Jell-O is jiggling and the butter's getting hard.

Rest in Peace Chicky baby.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:43 PM   #4
PKRWUD

I never thought I'd get emotional over the passing of a sports broadcaster, but I was wrong.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote