MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-05-2003, 02:46 AM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Default Model Builders - Where do I get the good stuff?

I'm looking for super detail parts like engines, brakes, suspension components, and such for 1:24th or 1:25th car models. Anyone know of any good web sites where I can find any of this stuff?

Thanks.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:22 AM   #2
PKRWUD

I collect 1/24 scale die cast's, and I have built 1/24 models since i was a little kid. Below are some pics of a "garage" I built about a year ago. It was a kit, but it still took me a month or more to do it because of all the detail I put into it. Things like the stereo on the shelf, the parts washer, the two welding units, tools in the drawers, and service manuals on the desk were all details that I made work. The hanging lamp was a cool touch, too. Most of the parts were with the kit, but some stuff I just save from other models. Your best bet is to go to a hobby store armed with at least $100, and look for the most detailed models, which for engine components are usually funny car models. Forget about the model itself, buy it for the parts. You'll end up with a good collection, and be able to create anything you want to.

Take care,
~Chris

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Very nicely done. I built a house frame once to 1/32 scale and sliced all of my own 2x4's, 2x6's etc. It was a ton of work, but the finished project was really cool.

Here's some pics of my N scale model railroad show pieces...

There are two of these lights in the kit. The kit came in a small box with two brass 1/16" tubes for the main body of the light, and the rest was laser cut into 1/32" brass sheet, and fit into a shape that looked just like a credit card. The blury pic shows the lights lit up. I don't know why the camera decided to do that, but I'm not going through the trouble of trying to light that up again to get a better pic

Here is my current project. This is a Gloor Craft model and is highly detailed. The bracing across the underside of the car is made up of 31 individual pieces of balsa. The brake lines were bent and glued in by hand. The ribs on the roof of the car were scratch built. The weathering is not complete, but you get the idea.

Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Man! Talk about fine detail! Bro, we need to get a life! lol. Man you're really good at weathering pieces. i have never been good at that. When I try, I usually wreck it! lol. It's bee a while since I was an avid builder. The last actual model I built was around the same time I did that garage. I'm a die-hard Bill Elliott fan, and a die hard Sprint Car fan, so I decided I needed a Bill Elliott Sprint Car!. I got a decal sheet from an Elliott #11 Budweiser model, and a Sammy Swindell Sprint Car model, and built and detailed it MY way. lol. it's nothing fancy, but it is the last one I did.

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Very nice.
You ever seen the Revell model engines you can buy seperately? I have a Ford 427 that I bought from a local hobby shop. It's really detailed and can be built supercharged or N/A. I think I'm going to supercharge it and put it in a Fox Body

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-05-2003, 07:25 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Are they like 1/4th scale? I built a clear plastic one like 20 years ago, but I haven't looked at them since. Too close to the real thing for me. If I'm gonna build an engine, it's gonna run. lol.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

No, these are 1/25th scale. They are pretty much the same engines that come in the car model kits, but just the engine by itself. I think this 427 kit cost me $5.00. I bought a couple other engine kits too, but haven't seen them since we moved.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #8
PKRWUD

OHHH, okay, yeah, I know what you're talking about. I had forgotten all about those! They had them at the local SavOn drug store a few months ago. they had 3 or 4 different engines, and the details were such that you could leave a head off, and see pistons, etc.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #9
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

umm, kevin, you dont have time to be doin this stuff. You've gotta finish that car before I graduate and move outta the state Cause I wanna whoop it atleast once before I go.

btw how are ya liking the x-box so far?

-drew
Old 01-05-2003, 08:29 PM   #10
Conman
Registered Member

that is some nice model building guys.
I really like that garage scene Chris. Nicely done.

My best model that I did was a Tamiya kit of a motorcycle. It is the Marlboro Yamaha GP500 bike that Max Biaggi drives. It is really detailed and took me about a month to do with me working on it for atleast an hour a day, some days 4 or 5 hours. I don't have any pictures of it to post but I do recommend Tamiya kits if you are into the stuff they make.

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
umm, kevin, you dont have time to be doin this stuff. You've gotta finish that car before I graduate and move outta the state Cause I wanna whoop it atleast once before I go.

btw how are ya liking the x-box so far?

-drew
The X-Box is pretty cool. My wife is getting more use out of it than I am though. She's trying like hell to beat that Jet Set Radio Future game that came with it. I rented Halo and that's a pretty cool game. Since I don't have broadband though it wouldn't be much fun to own I don't think. I may buy it.

As far as my car goes, I am not in posession of it again until late Spring. The guy at the body shop told me he wants to wait until they get moved into the new building before he gets really into it so he can keep it inside until it's done. And with a 5.8L and 14lbs boost you're gonna have fun trying to whoop on it. I'll turn the boost down to 2psi so maybe you'll have a chance LOL

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool :)

I got a '67 Fast back for Christmas...(in a box of corse!)
Its not ANYWHERE as elaborate as ya'lls stuff...but I think it will be fun to put together. Never done one before. Hopefully I wont screw it up!
Thats some cool looking stuff ya'll got there!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:47 AM   #13
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Every time I come back here to look at your garage model Chris I see things I didn't notice before. Like the corkboard by the door. I may have to try and tackle my dream garage in 1:25th scale. Looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-06-2003, 02:07 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX
Every time I come back here to look at your garage model Chris I see things I didn't notice before. Like the corkboard by the door. I may have to try and tackle my dream garage in 1:25th scale. Looks like it would be a lot of fun.
Thank you! There really is a lot of detail in it, much of which you can't even see in the pics. i had a bunch of stuff I ran out of room for, too. In the attached pic, you can see some of the stuff I couldn't find a spot for. Some of the small stuff there are 5 quarts of oil, a bottle of Peak anti-freeze, a little black 35mm camera, jack stands, a creeper, valve covers, tools, broom & dust pan, and a drop light with a red power line going to it. The Chapstick is for perspective.

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:15 AM   #15
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I found a good way to make spark plug wires, which also work good for electrical cords and such. Take thread and dip it in the stuff you dip pliers in to make rubber handles. Sand it with very fine grit sandpaper to weather it and take the shine off.

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 01-06-2003, 02:43 AM   #16
PKRWUD

Cool idea!
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 01-06-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
Conman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX
The X-Box is pretty cool. My wife is getting more use out of it than I am though. She's trying like hell to beat that Jet Set Radio Future game that came with it. I rented Halo and that's a pretty cool game. Since I don't have broadband though it wouldn't be much fun to own I don't think. I may buy it.
This should probably be in a pm or another thread but anyways.

Today I helped one of my buddies hack the sh*t out of his x-box
we threw in an 80 gig hard drive and updated some software and now he can rent games, copy them to the hard drive and own them forever. It works kickass and I think it will hold like 30 games before the hard drive is full.

he got some dude in ottawa to put in the mod chip though but I don't think it is too hard.

pm me if you want more info. all the mods will pay for themself after he has about 3 games

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote