MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Angry The Money Pit Round 2/ This Sucks!

OKAY DAMMIT...THINGS WERE TOO GOOD HERE FOR TOO LONG......................

I have busted my arse in my new house(been here 4 months now!) for the past 2 solid weekends STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!) Unpacked ALL My boxes except for one big box in my pc room. TOTALLY REDID THE YARD! (BTW: it looks AWESOME!) Got new patio furniture, and framed and hung all my pictures! It looks like a TOTALLY different place as of this weekend!

I'm actually walking thru my house now looking at it thinking..DAMN, I love this place! Ya'll remember all the sh$$ I went thru here the first 2 months I moved in w/ the heaterabout $2500-2800 I was out!) The CRITTER that chewed a hole in my damn chimney!(another $500!), my first w/e here w/ NO hot water OR gas for 4 days when it was 20* frigin degrees outside!(like that REALLY happens alot in TEXASS!!!!!!!!!!!)

WELL NOW>.......my mom noticed a 'waterspot' on my bedroom wall(b/room is upstairs). My over flow outside to my A/C is over my back porch french doors...I didn't know that was an EMERGENCY overflow! I've had a river back there for the past week and a half. I put my plants under it to keep them watered. Why let it go to waste? Well, today, I had some company and we hung my ceiling fan in my bedroom( IT LOOOKS SOOOO PURTY!) AND IT CRANKS TOO, even w/ the 20 foot cieling or however tall that is...its high!! Unclogged my bathtub that quit draining..and looked at the a/c unit in the attic. My drip pan was full and rusted. The PVC fittings into the pan were leaking/hence the water spot on my wall! we worked on that thing for 3 SOLID HOURS! FINALLY found something we could use to seal it off. I have to go up there yet and make sure it has quit leaking. IN THE MEAN TIME.....I talk to the guy that did my heater just a bit ago. Bottom line is that the homeowners warranty WILL NOT COVER IT...he said that my coils might be freezing up and the rust indicates that some stuff is rusting out....so...I can say goodbye to yet ANOTHER $1,200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aarrrughghghhhhhhhhhh
We did good today as far as preventing any other damage. He will be here tomorrow night to replace that unit. Soooo...I guess for my b-day present to myself I get to sink $1200 into something that I would rather NOT!
AND to top that **** off...they are building a new house across the street from me. They dug the crap out of my yard. I have 2 'graves'. One is about 5x10 the other one is about 12x12 and was about as deep! Looked like a meteore hit! (wheres my damn dictionary???) they filled it...woopee! In the mean time....we are getting HAMMERED W/ RAIN. I NOW HAVE A SINKHOLE IN MY FRONT YARD...AND ...I'm getting letters from the Homeowners Asso. to 'repair the damage to my yard. .....they can KMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have called the city, they said to call the builder...I have called them TWICE...they are not calling me back!!!! I want them filled and the grass replaced!! I have now given this to someone else to take care of for me, cuz they obviously are NOT taking ME seriously! Guess cuz I'm a woman! Well, I guarandamntee you that they WILL take care of it after they get the phone call tomorrow from an alter ego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know? I'm really pissed. I think that if I"m gonna go ahead and dump this $$$$ on top of the damn phone bills (over $1000) I"m trying to pay...whats another $200-300????? Im thinking seriously of getting my tatoo this weekend for my bday present to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooo....whatdya think??????????

I'll take some pics soon of the updates on the house. It really does look nice!!!!!!!!! and....sometime SOON..I NEED to get my foot xrayed...its STILL hurts and is swollen. Im hoping that its just a slight fracture, if its tendons or ligaments and needs surgery, I'm out of luck cuz I dont have any health ins. right now!

BUT...other than that...everythings cool and I'm a happy camper! lol....ya. Sorry guys...I had to vent....Joe, where's that 'MONEY PIT" thing you posted before......IT'S BAAAAACKKKKK!
TNT TORMENTED IN TEXASS!!!!!! (once again!)

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

day-um chritine, that sux, i hate owning a house it's a pita, you should look into sueing the people who sold it to you, it happened to us too, as soon as we moved in, boom the well pump went out, 500 buck' right off the bat, it's never ending, i think we are going to sell & just rent, hope everything work's out for you, what a drag, good luck, you have almost re-built it by now, cya. marty.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:33 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Ouch! Well, at least you finally got your fan in!

It's good to hear you got everything up on your walls, too. Pictures will be nice.

Good luck!

Take care,
-Chris

P.S. What happened to that new leaf? Are you off tomorrow?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:31 AM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Sorry to hear about all your misfortunes, Christine!!!

I was wondering where you had been, I missed your cheerful and frantic posts As far as the tattoo goes, seems with young people today, you're "different" if you DON'T have a tat, and I can't think of ANY statement I'd like on my body forever...are you sure that's something you wanna do for sure? If so, then go for it!!!! If not, reward yourself with something else you've really been wanting...you deserve it!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 07:43 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Default Re: The Money Pit Round 2/ This Sucks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas
[B][color=limegreen]...other than that...everythings cool and I'm a happy camper! lol....ya.

What's left to be a "happy camper" about?

I'm sorry to hear about the crap your going though, that's probably why I haven't heard from you in a while. If there is anything you need help with, just give me a call. I'll be happy to help you out. I can do more then work on cars
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 07:55 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Just went the air conditioner route myself.... $1,400

All I can say is: Welcome to home ownership!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:28 AM   #7
andy669
Registered Member

TNT You didnt ask for advice on the A/C unit, but I can offer some anyway if you'd like.

The coil freezing up scenario doesnt seem right to me, even if it was, that only indicates a low air flow problem, or a low refrigerant charge. Either way, unless the unit quit working I doubt it needs replaced.

When the evaporator coil is in the attic 99% of the time they lay down on their side. This makes draining the condensation a problem.

The drain on a system like this should consist of the main drain, and the safety drain, which you indicated you had both. The main drain HAS to have a trap in it. If it does not, the system will 'pull' air through the drain (during operation) and not let the water flow. Once the system shuts off the water will drain though.

The safety drain should be attached to a metal or plastic pan underneath the system in the attic. This is put in to insure that water will not leak all over the ceiling in the event that the main drain plugs up. Theres a catch though, the homeowner has to be made aware of these and what they do. hehehhe......

The first thing I would do is take some compressed and air blow through the drain pipes to see if they are clogged. If they are clogged you need to be careful not to put so much air in to blow the fittings apart.

I am skeptical of the 'coil freezing up you need a new unit' scenario. I see things like this everyday where a seemingly good contractor will try to take advantage of an unknowing homeowner, and it pisses me off!! hehehe

Good Luck
Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Money Pits

Topless:

Welcome back but I'm sorry to learn of all your recent homeowner hassles.

Reminds me of why I bought a condo; no roof, yard, heating or cooling hassles that I have to pay for and the condo fee covers every service including lawn care (excellent), snow-plowing in the winter and garbage pickup. I love it but then, I'm lazy and useless at home repairs.

Get that foot checked before you (possibly) make it worse and take Andy669's advice regarding the A/C unit. Don't jump into an expensive and possibly unnecessary new unit without checking out the old one as he suggested.

Glad to see that you can smile through your troubles and we all wish you the best.

Stop back here soon.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
gt lee

Boy Christine, I thought our luck was bad but you sure have had your hands filled with your house. Its awful how real estate sellers can stick it to a buyer so they can make there money. When will it ever end. Hopefully soon. Hang in there girlfriend there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Odie
Old 07-16-2002, 10:42 AM   #10
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Re: The Money Pit Round 2/ This Sucks!

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberstang5.0

What's left to be a "happy camper" about?

Tons. Mustang ownership, good health, great family, and awesome friends
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
induction
The Brit!

Wow TNT you must be one of the STRONGEST ladies I know. I feel so bad for all the misfortune you've been delt recently. All we can figure is the next several years are gonna be flawless for you! Just hang in there lil lady Your day will come.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #12
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
TNT You didnt ask for advice on the A/C unit, but I can offer some anyway if you'd like.

The coil freezing up scenario doesnt seem right to me, even if it was, that only indicates a low air flow problem, or a low refrigerant charge. Either way, unless the unit quit working I doubt it needs replaced.

When the evaporator coil is in the attic 99% of the time they lay down on their side. This makes draining the condensation a problem.

The drain on a system like this should consist of the main drain, and the safety drain, which you indicated you had both. The main drain HAS to have a trap in it. If it does not, the system will 'pull' air through the drain (during operation) and not let the water flow. Once the system shuts off the water will drain though.

The safety drain should be attached to a metal or plastic pan underneath the system in the attic. This is put in to insure that water will not leak all over the ceiling in the event that the main drain plugs up. Theres a catch though, the homeowner has to be made aware of these and what they do. hehehhe......

The first thing I would do is take some compressed and air blow through the drain pipes to see if they are clogged. If they are clogged you need to be careful not to put so much air in to blow the fittings apart.

I am skeptical of the 'coil freezing up you need a new unit' scenario. I see things like this everyday where a seemingly good contractor will try to take advantage of an unknowing homeowner, and it pisses me off!! hehehe

Good Luck
Andy
i think i'll agree w andy on that one .........i know a little about heating and ac .......it sounds like the contractor is taking advantage .........usually you as long as the unit isn't leaking freon ,it dosn't need replaced......just cleaned and serviced ........most of the other problems with it you mentioned can be fixed with a trip to the hardware store and a little enginuity
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:59 PM   #13
AdamM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear everything is going rough. My girlfriend just got a house. We're suppose to lay tile tomorrow. Hopefully we won't have as much trouble as you are having. On the plus side, there is only one way for your luck to go and that is up. Hang in there.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:02 PM   #14
RdRunnr
Registered Member

Christine,

The same thing happened to my neighbor not too long ago. Their ac had frozen. It just needed servicing and the freon replaced and it was good as new. If I were you I'd get a second opinion first. Is this the same person telling you the warranty won't cover the repair? I would look into that as well before handing over this guy all kinds of cash.

1990 Mustang GT
10.46 @130.97

ClickClickracing Forums
RdRunnr is offline   Reply With Quote