MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Who gets it in the "end"?
Poll Options
Who gets it in the "end"?

Old 05-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Question Moral Decision Poll

After having seen Spider-Man and the "Save the Cable car of children or the Girlfiend" scene....

I thought of a good dilemma.
Let me set it up for you:

You're in Rush hour traffic in a big city. The guy behind you is just about right on your bumper (as usual), and there are vehicles in the lane on either side of you. You are all cruising around at about 50 mph when a small kitten runs out into the street in front of you. Do you:

A. Slam on the brakes to give the kitten a chance to get away with its life while knowing full well the sound of crunching metal will be coming from the rear of your beloved Mustang

B. Give the kitty it's last rights and continue on with your Mustang intact

I know what MY decision would be.... What's yours?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:26 PM   #2
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Hummm, if it were your car i would say bye bye kitty. But then again my mom got rear ended, had her car fixed by the other insurance company and is getting $30,000 back from the lawsuit. So if it were me, I think I could find a much better car for that kinda money.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It is illegal to cause an accident to avoid a collision with an animal. It's also illegal to tailgate. Bye bye kitty. To me, taking the chance that I'll get blamed for causing an accident, having it on my record and destroying my capability to afford my car is too much.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 07:23 PM   #4
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I HATE CATS, i'd hit the gas pedal and try to run the sob over.
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Cata and collisions

Easy one. The kitty gets it.

I had this happen - in a way.

Driving on a rainy night on a side street, about 30 mph, a cat runs into the road right in front of me - no room. I hit the brakes, car slides to the right - toward a tree! I say "Forget this" and let off the brake. Car straigntens out, I feel a 'thump' and that's all she wrote.

No, I didn't go back. Cats never have I.D.tags (could have been a stray), it was raining hard and there was nothing I could do, anyway. Sorry it happened but when the decision is between a cat and a car wreck, the cat loses.

Make it a dog and the decision gets much, much harder.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
rbatson

I don't know what I would really do until I was put in that situation but I think I would hit the brakes. If I felt it was him or human life, it would be human life everytime. In the rain, like the situation Jim was in.. I wouldn't hit the brakes, too much risk.

In this state, if someone rearends you it is automatically thier fault for following too close unless, you pull out in front of them or cut them off(hard for the police to determine sometimes) or are intoxicated. Almost any accident in which someone is intoxicated, its automatically there fault(from what I've seen).

People generally don't tailgate in this state.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:19 PM   #7
polara7777
Registered Member

I'm a big cat person anyway (have 4 of them running around here somewhere) so that would be an easy decision. This state is the same way..if you rearend someone it is your fault no questions asked.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #8
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Bye bye kitty cat.

Out here things run in front of you all the time. Could be a rabbit. Could be a pheasant. Could be a deer (although VERY rare to happen in the South Plains). If I have a chance to break for an animal safely, sure, I'll do it. Most of the times that split second is all that's needed. However, if I'm cruising at 70 and a rabbit runs out at the last second, I don't even flinch. Keep the wheel straight as there is nothing you could do.

I see it as a sort of Darwinistic approach. You know, survival of the fittest. If the darn thing is stupid enough to run out in front of you, it likely swam in from the shallow end of the gene pool, if you know what I mean. I'm doing the kitty/rabbit/pheasant population a favor by eliminating those animals which don't deserve to live to reproduce.

BTW...ever hit a pheasant at 70? Their head is just about even with your headlights. Makes for a nice spray of grey matter up the hood, up the windshield, and over the roof. Then you gotta get the feathers out of the windshield wipers.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
rbatson

I find that interesting coming from you silver_pilate.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:56 PM   #10
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

bye bye kitty, hello 100 points. If it was a dog, I would still hit it, but I'd feel bad afterward. If it was a deer, I'd slam on the brakes(my insurance doesn't cover damage caused by hittin animals)

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:24 PM   #11
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Hmm i wonder what PKRWUD would do?

If it were me, then most likely my g/f would be with me and she would do more damage to me if i hit the cat than the cars could ever do to me. But i really dont like cats either, so its bye bye kitty, and most likely bye bye girlfriend. oh well
Old 05-09-2002, 11:36 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's an insurance company deal, not a state deal. If somebody rear ends you in ANY state is almost always the other persons fault. Almost is the key word there. Call your insurance agent and ask him if you can intentionally cause an accident in an attempt to not hit an animal. His answer will be "no." There is a legitimate reason for it, too. People were intentionally causing accidents only to claim they had to hit the brakes for the animal.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #13
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oh, and if it was a dog that I hit. I would get out of the car to inspect for damages, then go back to the dog, beat it for 1/2 an hour with a tire iron, then go and find the owner and beat them too.

I HATE dogs. Worthless animals. Jump onto people, bark, generally pester the crap out of you, smell like *** (literally), get in your way, harrass guests, and they put a burden on you.

If I could choose to eliminate all dogs from the Earth, or mosquito's it would be a tough choice.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:48 PM   #14
rbatson

Let me tell you something Unit, I don't know who the hell you think you are but if you were to hit my dog and come to my house to beat me... They'd be picking your *** out of the trees. You don't know everything and your arrogance is beginning to get on my nerves!!
Old 05-10-2002, 12:55 AM   #15
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

rbatson,

Why's that?

If it seems insensitive, it's not that I don't love animals and avoid killing them when I can, but if it can't be done safely, there's nothing else that can be done. Kinda like if a meteorite decides to fall on my head...not much I can do.

If it's the Darwinistic approach that seems out of place, I'll say this. Darwin's ideas have a lot of credence to them. Many people called Darwin a heretic when he proposed his evolutionary ideals. The truth is that Darwis wasn't a heretic. He was a bright man who observed things and thought about what he saw. Hey, evolution happens. The strongest of the species survives and is able to reproduce and pass on its beneficial qualities (unless it's human...then we try and let everyone survive to reproduce...an many do who shouldn't ). I don't have a problem with evolution as a rule. I have a problem with radical, grand-scale evolution.

Hope that helps clear anything up.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 01:07 AM   #16
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I'd have to say guys I'd hit the brakes. I love cats. I love animals more than I like people (No....Dont get the wrong idea now.). I'd probably be less inclined to hit the brakes for a person. Unless it was a Fine Asian girl, then I'd hit the brakes, and ask her if she needs a ride.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 01:14 AM   #17
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Foolish, yes... but I'd slam on the brakes too. No matter what kind of animal.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #18
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Smile My damn self...

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314
Foolish, yes... but I'd slam on the brakes too. No matter what kind of animal.
Ya, Joe, I"m w/ you....
. I am an animal lover...I'd have to sacrifice the Stang if it came down to it...I only have the 2 Poms a few days a week, and no cats. But I could never hit animal if I can avoid it, that includes squirreles and ARMADILLOS....
but if anyone WOULD happen to hit a deer, call me when the processing is COMPLETE....I love a good mix of venisson! But , I dont wanna see it gutted. Been there done that bout 20 years ago when I went on a hunting trip in Mississippi. Watched the whole process... Before I was into animals.. and i couldnt watch it again..
I dont even want to throw the crabs and crawfish in the boiler! but I'll still eat them.

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 03:50 AM   #19
PKRWUD

Been there, done that.

No brainer.

Stop for the cat, and if the F***head behind me hits me, kick his stupid ***. I'm all for brutally hurting people, but I would never harm a cat. Per capita, cats are smarter than most people anyway.

Kell, I don't want to get into another pissing contest with you, but I have to agree that you've been particularly PMS-like lately. Everything okay?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:36 AM   #20
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

if it came down to a wreck, or a cat, bye cat i try to avoid hitting animal's, unlike some people around here, who hit them on purpose, but i hate cat's anyway, plus i dont want to be without my car for 2FREAKIN MONTHS AGAIN, oh sorry lee hit a dog one time & started crying, i laughed and said, would your rather be in the hospital, it was unavoidable,life goes on

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote