MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
mmacdone
Registered Member

Default More bad news for Ford! :-(

Take a look at this thread from blueovalnews.com
Pretty depressing I must say!

http://www.bonforums.com/mustang_safety/

My Ford manager informed me about this this morning... :-(

Old 01-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Angry

I'm so sick of this.... You try to stand by the Blue Oval and this is the kind of crap you get. Ford has let me down BIG time in the last 10 years.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
mmacdone
Registered Member

UNIT 5302,

This definately SUCKS!!! When the Hell are things going to get better for Ford? I was out with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, She was telling me that the Terminator project has been cancelled also! WTF! She works at Rousch Racing in Livonia, Michigan. Her friend, Mandy, she works at SVT - so needless to say - seems pretty credible.

Just waiting for the press to get a hold of this one!

Mike
Old 01-29-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Okay, my views may sound like they arise out of ignorance, but just bear with me.

It is foolish to assume you are safe in any vehicle. Even marginally safe. To expect the vehicle to save your life in a crash, any kind of crash is again foolish.

What I think is really a stupid and misleading statement is the part in the Ladys (Dream turn NIghtmare) Story. The number of bones broken in a car accident is not an indication of the severity of the accident.

My first accident, I could of been killed, but had no bones broken. And that was at a 60 MPH collision with a vehicle that was sitting still.

Define Glancing blow. The car was used, how many times have you all seen people (Or done it yourself) back into curbs, into ditches, over tree stumps? I have in my old Mustang, and had to replace the fuel tank because it was damaged. Wasnt leaking but I knew the intergrity of it was comprimised.

Define Mechanically inclined. Did he know to check for condition of the fuel tank? Or did he just check for rear main seal leaks, and power steering leaks? And looks to see if the air filter was dirty? Maybe he even checked the tires and suspension for wear.

Door crimping shut. That happened to me on my Old 6 cyl stang in my accident. Doors usually crimp shut when the frame flexs in such a way, or twists. Spinning off the road into a ditch is a perfect was to do that, plus a glancing rear blow from another car. To me that sounds more like a negative aspect in the fundamental Uni-Body design principle.

They told of the horrors of the lady being burned, I feel sorry, I wish her a sincere recovery, but if you all noticed, they left out all the details of the accident. Such as speed, cause, and terrain. Trying to force a conclusion onto us that these vehicles are unsafe. When the fact is Every vehicle is unsafe.

This may sound harsh, BUT.........Hey ***** happens. Sorry it happens, but it does.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:46 PM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

That is so terrible I feel nauseous after reading the story about the poor woman in the convertible...and to think I was dying for a 95 vert...

I can't wait to see how Ford handles this...can't exactly issue an ENTIRE CAR recall...although I love my Mustang, I'm suddenly happy I own a coupe. I feel just plain SICK reading the list of FIFTY people that died and left loved ones behind because of a motherfucking issue that could have been avoided.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I have little faith in the discretion of the press. They want stories, Big Stories. 90 percent of the time they give one sided view points. They want to cause Hype.

50 out of how many? That may sound like alot, but how many of that chassis design have been in accidents similar to those, but had no such effects. I'm sure that statistic you wont read in all the Stories.

There are an infinite amount of variables that are often overlooked in coming to conclusions.

How many peoples 1st gen Mustangs actaully turned into big balls of fire after rear end collisions? Hmmmm. You see a good bit of them still exist, and lots of the ones that do I'm sure you'll find evidence of a rear end collision that didnt cause the car to burst into flames.

I'm so sick of people coming up to me when I'm driving my old car and saying or asking how I could drive such a dangerous vehicle.

"You know those things explode for no reason dont you. You'll be burned alive."

I've heard that one.

"Oh my god, why do you drive that heap around (Its not a heap, its in rather great shape). They are so dangerous. You know after I heard about how they explode in any kind of wreck, I wont ride in one ever again."

Heard that one when I was getting in my car after leaving the mall.

Face it, the world isnt safe. People get hurt and die. Its life. People bust into schools with guns, people bust into McDonalds with Guns, people bust into Luigis (Restraunt in Fayetteville) with guns and shoot and kill people.

People get drunk, slam into innocent people. Tornadoes kill people, even though they hide in there Home, which also gives a false sense of securtiy and safety.

People die from work accidents around heavy machinery. Or from allergic reactions to food. From Cancer.

I feel sorry for those people mentioned above that died in the car accidents. I hope there up there with god now, but life isnt safe people.

Thinking that cars with the wieght, momentum, and energy they have behind them going at 50 MPH is okay because you have Airbags and Side beam impact doors is just wrong. Thinking that seat belt is going to save you is just wrong. They will help, but that doesnt mean that all the above will prevent you from passing away.

Gas is voilatile, even hot engine oil will cause flames if they hit something hot enough.

I'm just so sick of these people suing GM, Ford and any other car manufacture for there misfortune. Its tragic yes, but its what you have to consider everytime you get behind the wheel. Its life. Theres no avoiding it.

Last edited by Mercury; 01-29-2002 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-29-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oh, I'm fully in agreement with Merc on the idea the press is out to get Ford at this point, but the trend has been obvious, and Ford's lack of commitment to fight some of the BS claims has totally destroyed their reputation.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:03 PM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Ok...I think anyone with half a brain REALIZES that humans are really unsafe ANYWHERE in ANYTHING, period.

We are outraged because there could have been measures taken to minimize this bs...sensational media aside...facts remain and a picture equals a thousand words...that fuel tank is TOAST in those pics, and the amount of gas spillage is unexcusable.

Demands are reasonable here..make us as safe as possible at a non astronomical price, and don't lie to us...I think asking to minimize our chances being BLOWN UP can fit in those "reasonable requests"

Old 01-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #9
mmacdone
Registered Member

The problem is not just the accidents and the failure of the integrity of the Mustang, but the fact that Ford knew about the problems before production, and decided to cover them up! That is what the press is going to have a field day over.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:19 PM   #10
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

"It's never satisfactory for anybody to burn alive. If the speed and impact does not kill you, you should not have to worry about burning alive."

That is the smartest thing I've heard from a Ford rep in a LONG time
Old 01-29-2002, 05:01 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Default What a crock!

First of all, Blue Oval News is the online equivalent of the National Enquirer. Most of their stories have very little merit. Secondly, did anyone bother to look at the picture at the top of the page? I don't know of any passenger cars that could sustain an accident like that, and leave the passenger compartment virtually perfect. Look at the saftey cage the frame has become around the passenger compartment! You could have easily walked away. Besides, with the shear volume of vehicles on the road, you can make anything sound deadly. The numbers are available for anyone to manipulate.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #12
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I agree with what Mercury and Belle said. Pretty much any unibody car will have its doors shut closed from a big enough collision. This happened to someone at my school in his 80's s10 when he rear ended someone at like 25 mph. But i do agree that Ford could have done something about the fuel issue if they knew about it for so long. The press is always out to get the big stories that dont happen very often - sensationalism[U]
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:49 PM   #13
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by MidNiteBlu 5.0
I agree with what Mercury and Belle said. Pretty much any unibody car will have its doors shut closed from a big enough collision. This happened to someone at my school in his 80's s10 when he rear ended someone at like 25 mph. But i do agree that Ford could have done something about the fuel issue if they knew about it for so long. The press is always out to get the big stories that dont happen very often - sensationalism[U]
I didn't agree with Mercury, in fact my feelings are the complete opposite. I believe the WHOLE POINT of the post has been missed. Dude, we all die..if you think someone is disagreeing with you on this..you need to check it.

Nevertheless, we are pissed because something that COULD have been avoided, and has happened before, hasnt been changed because of COST. Whatever the sensation value BON might have, the fact that fires caused in the Mustang II and Pinto were deemed to be from the same cause. That has been stated for many years before BON was even created. With all the punitive damages Ford was responsible for, you think they would have invested that in actually correcting the problem.

I'll "risk" my life on a sportbike, but I get pissed if my life is endangered because of some stupid, poorly thought-out design that COULD be improved...if they can spend time developing a blown Cobra, don't see what the big deal is about relocating a gas tank.

Personally, I don't think that 50 people is technically ALOT of motorists, but if even one of them could be solely blamed on the car igniting because of Ford's design...that's one too much, considering this isn't the first time they've messed up in this area.

Although I definetely WON'T sell my car because of it, I'll certainly rethink buying another Ford product.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:53 PM   #14
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I am not failing to see any point. If you dig deep enough I'm sure there is a flaw in every system on the automobile. Whats is also not being considered is the frequency of these tragic events, and a failure to see it from a bussiness perspective.

My point is, no matter how you hard you try to design a safe system, its just not going to be a hundered percent safe, there is going to be a flaw somewhere. Look at Nascar. They have all kinds of measures to cut back or prevent fires.Kinda like trying to design a "Safe" FireCracker, that will be gaurenteed not to blow up in your hand. Wont happen.

When you have a voilatie substance like gas, and an impact carrying as much force as these car accidents, what else can you expect. It does not matter where on the car the fuel tank is located, its going to happen. Sure some places are better that others (Ask GM)but no matter where you put it, its in the way, and can rupture and burst into flames.

Think about moving the gas tank. Think about the amount of engineering that would have to go back into the car. Think of how it would affect the balance and handling charectoristics of the car. Think about how they would have to change things from spring rates to shocks,track and many other variables to get the car to handle in an acceptable manner.

Its easy to say when not given the task of doing so.

I'm not for big bussiness at all, but I'm definetly not for people trying to get something for nothing.

I guess I feel the way I do because I drove around a death trap (sarcasam) for so long before buying a new 2000 model Death trap (I'm sure thats what the media will brand it.).

I'm not going to whine and complain and sue Ford if my car catches fire in an accident. And anyone who gives second thoughts to buying another ford because of this, maybe they should check out the design of every other fuel system of the competitors, I'm sure you'll be surprised to find some similarities.

Look at the 1st gen Mustang. People say the same thing. I'll never buy one because there dangerous. BUt they drive off in a 60 NOva, or Chevy 2, or even a Camaro which has the same design.

Last edited by Mercury; 01-29-2002 at 10:07 PM..
Old 01-29-2002, 10:08 PM   #15
1965GTO
Registered Member

Ford could have easily moved the fuel tank forward just like on the 3rd gen GM F-body but it takes up space in the hatch area and maybe sales would have declined just like the F-body. The doors not being able to be opened would bother me more, if the convertible is not as strong as the coupe then it should have been made so. The profit is big on every explorer built so there is not much of an excuse for putting cheap tires on them. Still you have alot of SUV drivers who ask for a disaster. They drive too fast with a high center of gravity vehicle all the while talking on a cell phone with a cigarette in the other hand. It amazes me how many minivans and SUV's go flying by me at 80 mph. The roads are more dangerous than ever and you got to pay attention or else you will pay. I had a full size wagon 12 years ago and was on a 600 mile trip and blew a tire at 75 mph and my car was not even upset handling wise. It was a rear tire and threw the tread and did not go flat. Even if it had gone flat on the front, if you are driving and know how to drive I think it should be manageable. The problem is they knew the tires were cheaply made and they knew the doors would not open.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #16
Five0
Registered Member

I don't have a lot to say about this except that I really do not care if they are dangerous I will drive them anyway, but then I want a motorcycle.

I have a friend that had a camaro, older body that built a motor for it and after one trip to the track and one wheel stand you could not open the doors without some serious beating and kicking of the inside of the door so I do not think that is that big of a deal. I think almost any unibody car is going to have a big problem with that.

As for the rest I am sure it is blown out of proportion and with everything else ford has gone through they are easy targets.

JMO!
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:28 PM   #17
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

speechless!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:20 PM   #18
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
I am not failing to see any point. If you dig deep enough I'm sure there is a flaw in every system on the automobile. Whats is also not being considered is the frequency of these tragic events, and a failure to see it from a bussiness perspective.

My point is, no matter how you hard you try to design a safe system, its just not going to be a hundered percent safe, there is going to be a flaw somewhere. Look at Nascar. They have all kinds of measures to cut back or prevent fires.Kinda like trying to design a "Safe" FireCracker, that will be gaurenteed not to blow up in your hand. Wont happen.

When you have a voilatie substance like gas, and an impact carrying as much force as these car accidents, what else can you expect. It does not matter where on the car the fuel tank is located, its going to happen. Sure some places are better that others (Ask GM)but no matter where you put it, its in the way, and can rupture and burst into flames.

Think about moving the gas tank. Think about the amount of engineering that would have to go back into the car. Think of how it would affect the balance and handling charectoristics of the car. Think about how they would have to change things from spring rates to shocks,track and many other variables to get the car to handle in an acceptable manner.

Its easy to say when not given the task of doing so.

I'm not for big bussiness at all, but I'm definetly not for people trying to get something for nothing.

I guess I feel the way I do because I drove around a death trap (sarcasam) for so long before buying a new 2000 model Death trap (I'm sure thats what the media will brand it.).

I'm not going to whine and complain and sue Ford if my car catches fire in an accident. And anyone who gives second thoughts to buying another ford because of this, maybe they should check out the design of every other fuel system of the competitors, I'm sure you'll be surprised to find some similarities.

Look at the 1st gen Mustang. People say the same thing. I'll never buy one because there dangerous. BUt they drive off in a 60 NOva, or Chevy 2, or even a Camaro which has the same design.
OMG..for the thousandth time, NO ONE said anything about driving a 100% automobile, just don't fudge test results and...oh nevermind.

I give up this discussion. Reminds me of the Clinton argument..."who cares if he perjured himself?? All politicians lie" So I will drop it. Its the "settle for it" attitude that explains many subpar aspects of the world that exists in 2002...
Old 01-29-2002, 11:23 PM   #19
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306

Demands are reasonable here..make us as safe as possible at a non astronomical price, and don't lie to us...I think asking to minimize our chances being BLOWN UP can fit in those "reasonable requests"

Your chances of being blown up are minimized, trust me. 50 people died out of how many wrecks?? Think about the percentage.

THe amount of gas spillage? If you have a full tank of gas, and it cracks open at the base, what do you think is going to happen?

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:26 PM   #20
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I agree with you FiveO. Unfortunately the Oval has become a recent target for media attacks and such...talk about adding fuel to the fire

Like I said, I'm sure that stuff has been sensationalized..I just have my panties in a wad about the lying and covering up at the expense of others...just figure it'd be cheaper to do the design the first time rather than pay for dead peeps through punitive damages...time to buy a fuel cell and send the bill to FORD!!!