MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2002, 04:19 AM   #1
GottaGetaV8!
Registered Member

Default Must buy Mustang...help!

I hope I'm in the right place for advice. 1st post. Hi all!

Help me debunk all of the myths about Mustangs not being practical everyday drivers for fathers with young families. I love and respect my wife, so I have to approach her intelligently (well at least try until I succum to my basic instincts). She doesn't believe that there is enough room in the back for baby seats, or booster chairs. My kids are 2 and 5. She thinks that my insurance will double(my record is spotless). I drive a good quality Import that I have absolutely NO affection for.

A little about me. I haven't owned a Mustang since high school. Three of them 67, 68, 67 and learned to turn wrenches out of necessity. I've been dreaming of updating to a current model for years. I'm cheap(not that I can't afford it), and I have never forked out money on a new car ever. But for the right car, I'd do it. And I'm sure that the only way I'd leave a Mustang, would be for another Mustang.

I'm looking at the GT convertible. I'm only 34, and too young for 4-door soft suspension sedans. No matter what other car I look at, I keep coming back to the GT convertible. And I prefer the latest generation over the previous.

Thanks!
GottaGetaV8! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:26 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Well, I will agree that the new Mustangs have a very small back seat, but I wouldnt let that be the determining factor. Is this going to be the family's only car? If so, theres a chance you might get tired of struggling to get the kids out of the back seat. What about the weather where you are at? Can you drive with the top down 6 or 7 months a year? My kids love riding in the car with the top down. (or as they say, "Hey dad, take the roof off")....lol..
I think you should take the wife and kids to the dealership with you to test drive one and let the Mustang speak for itself. If its been a while since either of you have been in a car with any kind of horsepower, the 260 horses from the GT will seem like alot!
Good Luck
andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I have 3 mustangs and all I have to say is if i have a kid he will have to get used to the mustang backseat LOL. Cuz I am not givivng my cars up!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

I was browsing through a Jegs catalogue the other day. They have child seats with 5 point harnesses. Thought I'd share.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Default Go for it!

GottaGetaV8 (cute!) -

Let your wifey know this: Your insurance may rise a little, but it prolley won't break you. I am a 22 yr old female with a '98 Mustang Cobra and spotless record and I pay~$100/month (State Farm-woohoo!). I don't consider my backseats in my '98 unbearably small, but I know you're looking into the 99+ models and I'm not sure what they're like.

Good luck, dude. Hope you get what you're wishing for!
Mandy
Old 01-28-2002, 12:38 PM   #6
BearStang
Registered Member

Welcome to the board. I can certainly sympathize, we have 3 young children, oldest is age 4. My wife and her parents believe my Mustang is impractical as well as a money pit. Her parents have gone so far as to offer buying me a new truck to drive if I sell the Stang!

I have a '92 GT and have not had a problem fitting baby seats and booster seats in the back. However, all 5 of us can't fit in the car, but that's why we have the van. My insurance is less than $100/month for both vehicles with State Farm, but I have a less than stellar driving record.

Get insurance quotes, get an approximate monthly payment for the car, assure your wife that you are buying a quality Ford product, and you have a good argument. Compare that with a similarly priced sedan. I've owned my GT for 3 years, put 64,000 miles on it, and have only had the fuel pump fail. Our '99 Venture has been in the shop 3 times since we purchased it new, and cost 4X what I paid for the GT. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2002, 02:28 PM   #7
GottaGetaV8!
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your experiences.
I know that I can’t be the only person in this boat, so it helps to hear from other like minded folks. My kids are 2 and 5, so I have a while to go with boosters at least. Once they grow out of the boosters, I’m sure that there will be plenty of room in the back. My wife is into SUVs, so there is another vehicle around for load carrying, but I’m shuttling around the pair half the week. My other keeper car is a ’65 MG Midget with an RX7 (13B 6-port FI) engine. 1500 Lbs and tripled the Hp. It ain’t an Earth shaker, but it’ll just about keep up with motorcycles. The heartless car I’m trying to free myself of is a Nissan Maxima. It’s a good car, don’t get me wrong. And in ’95 it ran faster than the GT Mustang (150mph+), BUT what good is that when I have NO confidence in the soft suspension. I yawn evertime I get in to drive. My problem was that I didn’t listen to my heart when deciding at the time.

Maybe I’ll rent the Mustang convertible for a weekend to test it for size?
Old 01-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well, can't say I've ever been with someone that wasn't as excited about speed and cars as myself...nor do I have kids, but I think that eventually she will come around if you show her a nice, quietly stock GT. The back seat is not bad at all, and enough for your needs.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
The back seat is not bad at all, and enough for your needs.

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:04 PM   #10
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by 929PhoenixSquid

Hunny!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Talking

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! Belle and Squid that just cracked me up big time....HAHAHAHAHHA!!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #12
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by 6T9PONY
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! Belle and Squid that just cracked me up big time....HAHAHAHAHHA!!!
A face is worth a 1000 words
Old 01-31-2002, 01:02 AM   #13
Rebel79
News Editor

GottaGetaV8!

Ok I have not exactly been in your position, but I have a buddy with a 94 Cobra with a kid. Another bud of mine has a 95 GT vert and has 3 kids. Now the newer 99+ stangs have less leg room in the back seats (almost none) went the seats are set fully back. This is because Ford moved back the seats for more leg room for the driver and front passenger. However you can move the seats up enough to allow for a child/booster seat and have the kids legs dangle behind the front seats. And you can do this confortably.

My buddy with the 94 Cobra, went as far as buying a tan leather baby seat from Eddie Bower for his daughter to match the interior of his Cobra.

The gas milage of the verts suck big time. My mom has a 00 GT vert with an AOD and it gets 11-12mpg with her light foot (8-9 with me driving) which is not practical for economic reasons.

Lemme know if you need more info.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:27 AM   #14
GottaGetaV8!
Registered Member

I know I mention new previously, but....
I begin to think about once again, picking up a car with a little use under her. As I mentioned in my 1st post, nevering having paid for new. This makes me entertain thoughts of going used again and using the bucks saved to do a little creative artistry under the hood. I have to spend more time reading through the topics on this board to search out answers to questions like, which Mustang? which add-ons for which years? power-to-dollar ratio? 5.0 vs 4.6?

My Bro knows a fleet dealer that may be able to get me into a GT for less than $22K, so he says....

Leg room is not a problem for me. I even have to move the seat forward in my MG Midget.

I read that the newer Mustangs now have the new child restaint systems in back, and have impact ratings higher than my current sedan. So those are pluses.

I learned to drive in my family's '67 Ford Galaxy with a 390 under the hood. Bought right after I was born. I miss that car, and that engine!

Although my wife isn't happy about it, I think that all my talk lately about Mustangs has convinced her that there isn't anything she can do this time to make me back down. She can hear it in the tone of my voice and the look on my face. The car ain't on my driveway yet, but I'm a Mustang owner gosh darn it!

The only good arguement she came up with tonight was that I could actually use a pickup truck more than another sports car. dooh! Instead of the truck, I want my Dad's '70 Econoline with the 302.

But she wants her next vehicle to be a Suburban. We'll see about that.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:24 PM   #15
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

"GottaGetaV8!" This is what is allow and no allow in the car.

... NO CHILDREN ALLOW (NO CHILD SEATS)

... NO WIFE ALLOW

... NO DOGS ALLOW

... NO GROCERIES ALLOW

... NO VOMITING

... NO LENDING THE PONY TO NOBODY

... NO EATING IN THE CAR (UNLESS IS YOU WHO IS EATING SOMETHING)

... NO OLDIES

... NO SINGING (UNLESS IS YOU)

... DON'T WNAT TO HEAR CRAP FROM WIFE THAT I CAN NOT GET THE MUSTANG.

.................................................. .........................................

... YOU ARE ALLOW TO LISTEN TO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT

... CAR MUST SLEEP IN THE GARAGE

... BEER IS ALLOW

... GIRLFRIEND IS ALLOW

... YOUR BEST BODY IS ALLOW

... YOU ARE ALLOW TO TAKE THE WIFE'S MONEY TO MODIFY THE MUSTANG.

... WIFE CAN WASH THE CAR BUT BETTER DO A GOOD JOB.

... NO FAMILY TRIPS

... RAICING IS ALLOW

WELCOME
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote