MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-30-2001, 12:41 PM   #1
Red514LX
Registered Member

Angry Mustang Bullitt -- What's the big deal? (warning: a rant)

I don't understand all the hoop-la over this vehicle. Aparently, I am alone, however -- the bullitt is #1 in the current readers poll on this website. This car only makes 270 horse, right? What is the purpose of this vehicle? I see it as nothing more than a lightly dressed up version of a GT (w/ a few upgrades). Why would this car win out over the '01 Cobra which is rumored to be a strong runner..320hp..underrated. Further, the $35,000 nat. asp. Saleen comes in 3rd. I think this car is a joke. 100mph 1/4 traps for $35,000 -- you're kidding, right? What ever happened to the glorious S351s?...this used to be a car/company I idolized. Great looks AND plenty of horse.

Gettiing back to the main theme of this post -- Am I the only person who feels that this car (the bullitt) was the wrong "special option" vehicle to release to the public? Where is the 400+ horse FR500? Where is the real "bullitt"? (a 385+ horse 5.4L DOHC Cobra R -- minus all the fancy road-race stuff, ground effects, etc. that I know many people on here wouldn't mind letting go -- espeically since it would help put the car in the "affordable" category for many more people)

Yeah, I'm a bit upset. Ford releases the bullitt. Meanwhile, Chevy is getting ready to come back at us with a 405hp Z06 -- that's 405 horse assuming they actually rate it accurately this time. At the same time, stroker kits are allowing N/A LS1s to trap 120+mph in the 1/4....while remaining completely streetable.

You fight fire with fire. That means more c.i. -- period. The 4.6L doesn't have any stroker kits save for the 5.0 DOHC spray bore technology (which, I think, has some promise). Ultimately, however, I think the lack of stroker kits will limit this engine class (4.6L). Yes, turbos can help even the playing field. However, to my knowledge, the installation of twins on a 4.6L GT involves removing the k-member, among other things. Installaiton alone would run $2,000+ in a shop. This is not exactly practical.

On the plus side -- I think the 2001 Cobra is going to turn some heads (espeicially one w/ some gears, exhaust, and headers). I think '01 Cobras, with the above setup, would regularly trap 108mph on average...w/ several easily over 110mph. Let me tell you, though, this is a long way from catching a 520hp nat. asp. heads/cam/stroker LS1...or even a Z06 for that matter.

The 4.6L cannot be stroked to any appreciable extent. This means it will always be 4.6L vs. 5.7L (at the minimum). These are not good odds -- higher tech. or not...it's less c.i.

I ask Ford, where is the affordable 5.4L DOHC mustang?

Any and all feedback and comments (both on what I had to say and your own opinions as well) are truly welcome and appreciated.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 06:31 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

The 4.6L Cobra engine is a beast detuned to the max.

I don't think the Bullit is worth any more than the GT, I don't even like it as much.

I'd like to see the resurrection of the Boss name, like a Boss 5.4. To stay true they'd need canted valves though, hehehe.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:56 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

You're not alone.

I would like to see a faster mustang. But I this subject has kind of come up before. Where do you take the mustang?

I think that Ford is doing the right thing with the GT's with one exception: KEEP THE SAME DAM ENGINE IN THE CAR FOR A FEW MORE YEARS. It is when you have a lot of cars on the road with the same engine that you get a lot of affordable aftermarket parts. With rumors of a different powertrain in the new mustang, if I were a aftermarket parts manufacturer I would waiting to see what happens, not building parts.

Back to your original idea. I agree, with a "special" edition car you'd think that they could so something a little better. A Boss or Mach 1 car would totally kick some a**.

You are not alone on this one.

------------------
Driving: 1998 F-150
Far way in Edmonton==>
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
hillie16
Buford T Justice

I LOVE the Bullitt...they got rid of the stuff I didn't like...(fake side scoops etc.) and added stuff I did (nostalgic wheels, interior, etc.) It's a novelty thing...there are bound to be people who don't like it. I just think it's a really cool thing that Ford actuallt did it..Just wish I could afford one.

------------------
In Memory of Dale Earnhardt 1951-2001

Deep forest green '95 Mustang GTS, B&M Ripper 5-speed, air silencer removed, K&N filter, advanced timing, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 2000 Mustang GT wheels, Indiglo whiteface gauges, and lots of wishing I had the money for more.

1989 Ford Bronco 4X4 Eddie Bauer Edition
351 stock except K&N filter, currently has a blown rear end.

Aliquippa Outlaws LEGAL STREET RACING!!!
hillie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 01:09 AM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

Here's how I see it: Ford isn't going to rock the boat as it is doing fine sales wise. Also, the F-Bodies are about to disappear for a while so there basically is no competition. Comparing a Corvette to a Mustang isn't really a fair comparison. While it would be nice to see a new NA factory Mustang that could compete with a Vette, I don't think that day will be anywhere in the near future unless the Stang loses the back seat and jumps up into basically the same price bracket where I don't think the Stang would do as well. Numbers don't lie and Ford knows that they are doing well enough with the 4.6. Don't be surprised though if the Blue Oval comes out with a bigger engine when the F-bods return.....

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 02:14 AM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The demise of the F-bodys doesnt mean free reign for the Mustang, dont forget that Dodge is bringing out the Charger to compete with the stang.

On a prevouis thought. I also hope that Ford keeps the 4.6 L around for more than a few years. That would really suck if they dropped it with the Mustang redesign thats coming up.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 04:37 AM   #7
84stangLX

Yeah, i also don't understand why they released a limited edition "bullitt" mustang. This should be AN OPTION like the 5.0L LX model was in the 80's early 90's. I like the bullitt's looks better than the GT, it looks cleaner, but still looks quite mean. If i were shopping for a brand new car, this is the car i would get.... too bad it's limited edition....and doesn't have a 5.4L, or better yet....why don't mustangs have the V10 engine, i read a story on a swap from a V6 to the V10 and the thing had loads of torque, but it hadn't been run on a track at that time. A V10 wouldn't cost that much more to put in (even a detuned truck V10 would haul) and they could sell it as say a "boss" of "mach 1". Whatever, one can only dream
Old 05-01-2001, 05:12 AM   #8
Power
Registered Member

I think you all missed the point with the "Bullit" stang. Although I can agree and say I don't care much for it, It was aimed at the same market the Plymouth Prowler and PT Cruiser were aimed at. The baby boomer generation. The Bullit is supposed to inspire nostalgia in the older generation and convince them to buy a new car to "bring back their youth". I totally agree about it being nothing much more than a GT, but the marketing behind it was pure genious. Just look at the sales and satisfaction #'s.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:31 AM   #9
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I agree largely with what has been said. However, the Bullitt is more than just a gimmick. It's a vision of things to come from Ford. In the near future, I would expect to see Mr. Shinoda offer a Real BOSS Mustang, instead of that underpowered, over hyped graphics package of a Mustang.

I will always support Ford in the construction of the Mustang and Cobra, but I must say that in a time where gaining more power is "cool" again, a 5.4 GT would be happily accepted by the consumer.

As far as the Bullitt goes, I like the idea. The execution was a little off, but like the 2K Cobra R, if I had the means, I'd buy one in a heart beat.(no pun intended)
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 11:15 AM   #10
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Big White Cobra, Mr Shinoda died about 2 years back. I dont think he'll be designing anything for FORD anymore, well maybe the origianl Henry Ford up in the clouds.

From my understanding of reading several articles on it, it might be 270 Hp at the rear wheels.

Have you read some of the diffrences, like Fords racing alunimum intake, with the dual bore 57 mm throttle body, the overdrive pullies, and the diffrent Hi-Flo cats and exhaust that come on the car? I wanna test drive one before I make judgemnt on it. Might be the poormans Cobra. 30 yrs from now, it will defenitley be a rareity, just like the 35th Aniv GT's of 99.

I think the styling is pretty kick a$$. If I would of known about it when I was shopping for a new Mustang, I would of waited and ordered the Bullitt.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 11:34 AM   #11
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Red face

Well, so much for that idea. I must have been asleep for that year. D**n, that sux.

I want a 2003 429 powered FR500/CobraR/Bullitt, in case any Ford exec's are reading this. Just a wish list.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:31 PM   #12
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:
The demise of the F-bodys doesnt mean free reign for the Mustang, dont forget that Dodge is bringing out the Charger to compete with the stang.

On a prevouis thought. I also hope that Ford keeps the 4.6 L around for more than a few years. That would really suck if they dropped it with the Mustang redesign thats coming up.

I know the Charger is coming back, but I really think that they Stang will still be the dominant affordable muscle car. I think it would be a good idea to keep the 4.6 around for a bit longer for the same reason that was mentioned earlier...for the aftermarket to catch up.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 04:05 PM   #13
Red514LX
Registered Member

I think everyone has put in some good comments about the Bullitt. Make no mistake about it -- I like the new GT. I test drove one (an automatic) a few months back and the car simply felt well put together. Further, I liked how the price was in the low 20s. I guess I have to take the car for what it is -- a sporty coupe that does everything well. The GT (or bullitt for that matter) was never intended to blow the doors off other vehicles right off the showroom floor.

With some of the comments made by other members here, I can understand where Ford is trying to go with the Bullitt. Hey, if this car makes 270 RWHP, that's super. I appreciate a number like that since I realize that my stock 90 5.0 probably only made 190 RWHP when it came out of the dealership.

Right now, though, I'm anxious to hear about the '01 Cobra. I have a feeling that SVT wasn't too happy about the '99 debacle and so they are looking to make up for their previous blunder.

I understand the comments made stating that Ford needs to keep the 4.6L engine around for a few more years. I agree. I think the next remodeled GT should get a 4.6L (or 5.0L spray bore) DOHC motor. The cobra needs a 5.4L DOHC, period. Like I said earlier, you fight fire with fire (c.i. with c.i. in this case). I think the 4.6L SOHC motor should be dropped. Why even offer a SOHC version of a motor when you have two potent DOHC motors 5.0 and 5.4 that are capable of fitting between the fenders.

Lastly, I feel a push needs to be made for the 5.4L (and 5.0) DOHC motors because I don't believe the aftermarket can possibly ever be as big for the modulars as it is for the 5.0. Why? You can't stroke the darn thing! Look at all the options available (stroker kits, simply boring out the block, or both)...306, 308, 31x, 326, 331, 347, 35x. A 2nd reason is the camshaft. On a DOHC motor, it simply isn't very power/$$ efficient. A 302 has 1 cam. A 4.6L DOHC has 4 cams.

Anyway, I understand and agree with the comments made on the bullitt. My point is simply that the 4.6L SOHC should go away. The 5.0 and 5.4 DOHC motors should be the only options for the new mustang.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block. http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

[This message has been edited by Red514LX (edited 05-01-2001).]
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:24 AM   #14
NarayanM
Registered Member

Have you ever seen a bullit in person? I didn't 'get it' either till I saw one at teh LA Auto Show. They are GORGEOUS. Simply amazing. The interior is awesome, and everything is just so crisp and clean.

And I high doubt it only makes 270 with the times it was pulling in Atlanta...
NarayanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 01:38 PM   #15
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

OHHHHHHHHHHHH

I didnt see the times it was pulling. What were they??????

With the mods it has over the standard GT, Its gotta be making more than 270 fly wheel HP, I think it may be more like 270 Rwhp, although that sounds a little high. BUt then again, I've heard that Ford after market SOHC alunimum intake gives a pretty sizeable increase in power.
Old 05-02-2001, 02:23 PM   #16
Stefan
Registered Member

Maybe I read the info wrong but I thought that initially they were stating about a 15hp gain over the 260hp on the GT. Apparently they came up short, hence the 265-270hp and they were trying to figure out how to make good to the buyers. I thought all the HP numbers were at the crank not at the wheels.

On a a side note, I agree with everyone about the ever present quest for more horsepower and it's sad that it's not overwhelming on the Bullitt. On the other hand it does have some suspension upgrades and cool options and it's nice to see Ford atleast trying to do something different. I get to test drive the one that they're getting at our dealership so i'll be taking lots of pics. I think they're cool.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 03:06 PM   #17
NarayanM
Registered Member

Mike Raburn posted pics over at SNs 4.6 Forum.

It ran 13.79 on streets and 13.66 on slicks. Also, people at Atlanta were saying that all the 2001Gts they saw never even broke 14 that day...So conditions dind't seem great either!

Also, the ONLY source that said Bullits weren't making correct numbers waa BON. They tend to blow it out their...ALSO that was before any were shipped, so im SURE if Ford noticed that they were not making correct numbers they fixed them before they shipped.

------------------
Manu Narayan
Moderator @ StangNet.com
Old 05-02-2001, 03:11 PM   #18
NarayanM
Registered Member

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...threadid=44928

The link, some good convo about the bullit as a performance vehicle there.

The 60ft times were 2.1 on streets and 2.0 on slicks. So im sure that even BETTER times aren't far off!

------------------
Manu Narayan
Moderator @ StangNet.com
Old 05-02-2001, 04:03 PM   #19
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

From what I've heard, they do make only 270hp at the crank, but I've also heard that they have a lot more torque than the standard SOHC 4.6 and will kill a regular GT off the line.
As for whoever said $35K, where are you getting that figure? I believe the Bullitt option package is $3695, so unless there is almost $10K mark up it should nowhere near that.
The car also has better brakes, different springs, sweet interior, etc. So with all that plus the engine and exhaust mods, I don't think the price is bad at all.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:42 PM   #20
84stangLX

hey red514, i got to ride in a brand new '01 Cobra with 1 mile on it just last week. Very impressive, the brakes are phenomenal, it handles VERY well and the power band is just plain awesome. Ford got the exhaust note right and it sounds great revving to 7000. It has no problem revving that high either. Another thing i noticed was that this cobra i rode in had leather (VERY well bolstered seats) that had this awesome seat material in the bucket part of the seat, it was seude i think. Very VERY cool car. If i had the money i'd definately buy one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: